CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
James M Clark

Profile:
Lifts and back soreness

When I do any movement that involves my back, squats, deadlifts, KB swings, etc. I notice a distinct soreness in my lower back. The muscles surrounding my spine (spinal erecctors?) and sometimes in the center. I can typically work this area with a lacrosse ball, but I want to make sure this is normal and not indicative of injury. At first when I started I attempted to go too heavy and my lower back would fatigue faster than I would in the workouts. Since then I've decreased weight for the WODS and my back will keep up with me. The next day of course I'm sore all over, but my lower back will be sore to where it's pretty difficult to squat or bend over. It's not a debilitating pain just a rough soreness.

The coaches at my box said it relates to having a weaker core and my back having to compensate to keep my back flat.

Is this type of soreness normal? I've been working more on core exercise to hopefully help
Old 02-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Price Goosby

Profile:
Re: Lifts and back soreness

Sounds pretty normal to me if your working either heavy or high rep. Whether I'm doing sets of 20 deadlifts with 135 or sets of 2 with 275 my back is going to be a bit rough for the next 12 hrs. I tend to lean over on the couch at home so usually after back heavy days I'll lay on the floor for the rest of the night.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
James M Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price Goosby View Post
Sounds pretty normal to me if your working either heavy or high rep. Whether I'm doing sets of 20 deadlifts with 135 or sets of 2 with 275 my back is going to be a bit rough for the next 12 hrs. I tend to lean over on the couch at home so usually after back heavy days I'll lay on the floor for the rest of the night.
Yea the high reps definitely get to me. But I also feel that soreness in my legs too so at least I know I'm not using all back. It typically subsides after a day so I'm assuming its just DOMS. Laying flat feels heavenly after those higher reps
Old 02-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
Jason Denny

Profile:

I only get that when I either do high rep bar lifts (I stopped that for the most part) or heavy, low reps but I'm worn out. Both result in my back rounding (just a bit) and over working those low muscles. Most of the time when I lift, I never feel them. Oh, I always feel them after shoveling snow. 7" of heavy snow shoveled yesterday and my back was DONE.