CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
Simon Zeitler

Profile:
Problems with Toes to Bar

Hey guys,

we had a Seminar today which taught us the most important moves at our new gym. I was quite surprised how well I did on the OHS but I completely struggled on the Toes to Bar's.

I dont know what went wrong but I couldnt get my feet up to the bar, and always fell short of a few inches. I didnt feel like I didnt have the power though... And after my second try I always got into swinging, and couldnt time it properly :/

Could this also be a flexibility issue? And how can I progress into a Toes to bar? Knees to elbows first?
Old 01-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Christian Batchelor

Profile:
Re: Problems with Toes to Bar

Maybe this can help and pay attention to what he says about kicking out instead of kicking down, and see how kicking out causes the swing.

Also pay attention to how he "pushes on the bar" to lean back.

(WFS) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJZpz5C1dAA
Old 01-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Simon Zeitler

Profile:

Thanks Christian that helped actually

But still I think I will have to continue to build abdominal strength and explosiveness, also some flexibility, i think the years of regular gyms and soccer killed my mobility =(
Old 01-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
Andrew Wiemken

Profile:

Like Christian points out, the crucial cue with the TTB is pushing the bar down and forward, which will put you in a good position. This is achieved by contracting the lower traps, which will pull the shoulders down and tilt your body forward by downwardly rotating and depressing the scapulae. The lats obviously will help as well with the small degree of shoulder extension. This will brace and tilt your upper body properly.

But of course, active hamstring flexibility, like you mentioned, specifically what gymnasts would call pike compression, is a big part of performing a pretty-looking TTB.

TTB is a deceptively complex, full-body-control movement, and working towards doing it perfectly and strict will pay dividends for shoulder integrity and midline control. It's the biomechanical opposite of a deadlift in many ways.

Lower traps are incredibly important for body control - proper L-sits, front levers, strict pullups, successful muscle-ups, handstands, everything. Scapular control comes into play pretty much everywhere.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
Adam Michaud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Batchelor View Post
Maybe this can help and pay attention to what he says about kicking out instead of kicking down, and see how kicking out causes the swing.

Also pay attention to how he "pushes on the bar" to lean back.

(WFS) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJZpz5C1dAA
Had toes to bar in yesterdays WOD, used these tips and it made a big difference. I was able to string together more than I ever had previously. Went back for more tips, hoping to apply the pull-up lessons today.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #6
Michael Cook

Profile:

I like to think of the motion of the T2B as starting and finishing with the feet at the bar. So for me, the key part of the T2B is controlling the swing down, and harnessing the power efficiently to swing back up.