CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Rolando Garcia

Profile:
Kip

Ok so here's another one, right now I can't do a basic pull-up. When they are in wods I use a band as assistance. While using band I am doing a Kipling motion. So my question is should I get a concentrate on getting strict pull-ups or kipping pull-ups? Or does it even matter as long as I get them?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Nik Nichols

Profile:
Re: Kip

Kipping makes you good at kipping. It will not help you get stronger for strict pullups. My humble opinion is work on strict first, then work on the kip.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Steven Wingo

Profile:

I've been told you don't want to kip with the bands. If you use bands, do strict pull-ups and fight for the strength gains. Work kipping as a skill and then progress to kipping pull ups when you have enough of a combination of strength (from working strict with the bands) and kipping (working the skill) to get the kipping pull-up.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Since you cannot do a pullup yet, that needs to be a priority.

A slight kip in a band is not the end of the world. I have heard of accidents of people trying to kip really big in a band.

Practicing the kip motion (without the pullup) just hanging on the bar is fine. Good for mobility as well.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Oli Kellett

Profile:

If you are struggling with pull ups then work on some negatives before and after class. Jump up and grip the bar, then lower yourself to lock out as slowly as you can (aim for about 6-8 seconds) and do 3 sets of 5 of these. Within weeks you will notice it's easier and easier to do this and you may even find you should be able to do a full pull up because of this.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
Vincent Miceli

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli Kellett View Post
If you are struggling with pull ups then work on some negatives before and after class. Jump up and grip the bar, then lower yourself to lock out as slowly as you can (aim for about 6-8 seconds) and do 3 sets of 5 of these. Within weeks you will notice it's easier and easier to do this and you may even find you should be able to do a full pull up because of this.

I second this. Some form of negative will help. You will see your body adapts quickly.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Michael C Reynolds

Profile:

First, I would do a scapular strength test to determine where that stands in relation to other lifts(Bench Press,Wtd Pullup). Either way since you don't have strict pullups I would start working a few different scap exercises into your program 2-3/wk. As well as some lat work through DB Rowing and other rowing varieties. From there I would progress you into assisted strict chinups with minimal band tension while making sure you are using scapular depression and rotation. Then once progress is moving along with that stuff I would start unloaded negatives working up to 60 sec total work time in one set.

If you jump too far into the progression when you shouldn't be such as starting with negatives when you may not be able to control your body weight while hanging from bar that is when you will run into shoulder issues and you will not progress as fast as you could.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Michelle Stafford

Profile:

I believe it is essential to develop your strict pull ups first before moving on to more dynamic movements such as kipping pull ups.

I wrote an article about this topic matter as it pertains to the athlete and coach: http://myjourneyrx.com/2014/02/26/st...s-in-training/ wfs

Some great progressions to develop strength within your pull-ups:

- Dead Hang
- Negatives
- Tripe Negatives
- Rope climbs
- Partner Assists
- Ring Rows

Also, lots of horizontal pulling, Barbell Rows etc.

Proper position and technique is crucial as well.

Good Luck!!!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Richard Deyan

Profile:

I'm in the same camp as those who suggested getting strict pull-ups and strength is more important. Kipping pull-ups will help, just not anywhere near as effective or fast as developing a strong upper back. It's starting to become more popular in the community now to add accessory stuff, but for the longest time it was really almost frowned upon to do be doing accessory work, since it mimicked bodybuilding too much. But powerlifters, olympic lifters, strongmen and other athletes have been constantly doing accessory work in order to compliment training and work on weak areas, we should be doing the same.

Like others have said negatives and other pulling motions work great. Heavy banded pulls accentuating the eccentric (negative) portion, ring rows, barbell rows (torso parallel to the ground), t-bar rows, pulling a sled or object with the upper back are all great exercises. If someone also has some extra adipose they're carrying out that certainly doesn't help either.