CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-18-2004, 08:12 AM   #1
Donald Woodson

Profile:

I have some that lists both whey and soy protein in its ingredients. Which protein is better? Do you guys even use or recommend protein powders?
Old 06-18-2004, 08:32 AM   #2
Mark Roughton

Profile:
A couple days ago, on another thread, Scott K. posted a link to an article with some interesting thoughts on the different protein isolates:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...aneating_1.htm
Old 06-18-2004, 05:42 PM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Soy bad, very very bad (for guys).
Old 06-19-2004, 08:21 AM   #4
Roy Taylor

Profile:
Soy=full of estrogen compounds, causes prostate cancer, may cause breast cancer in women, may cause brain damage, and its BV is low.

www.mercola.com/2000/aug/20/soy_dangers.htm

www.westonaprice.org/myths_truths/myths_truths_soy.html

There are many links explaining the dangers of soy, but Im in a bit of a hurry. Weston A. Price also has a Soy Complaint page. I'd say Whey all the Way! The only protein better than Whey is Eggs.

Cheers

Roy
Old 06-21-2004, 04:36 AM   #5
Donald Woodson

Profile:

WOW! Thanks guys! I had no idea. Soy goes in the trash tonite.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:04 AM   #6
Cross Bones

Profile:  
food for thought: some segments of the japanese and chinese population who consume soy regularly happen to be one of the longest living and healthiest group of people on earth. no cancer. no heart disease.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:52 AM   #7
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Cross Bones,

There is some disagreement as to exactly how much soy the East actually consumes.
Moreover, regardless of how much they consume, there is also some disagreement as to whether Soy products prevent, have no effect on, or even cause cancers:

http://westonaprice.org/soy/tragedy.html

-In this one, scroll down about halfway to "Soy and Cancer."

Also:

http://westonaprice.org/soy/dangersisoflavones.html

I don't yet buy everything the WAP people say (I'm still waiting to get his book and see what sort of background his organization comes from) but it's enough to make me willing to shell out a few extra bucks for whey.

Ross Hunt
Old 07-01-2004, 09:08 AM   #8
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I normally try to stick to food/food, but has anyone tried the BEV product sold on Elite Fitness' site?

It seems like a good product. I probably don't get enough protein. I pasted it b/c I couldn't link the exact page. Ballpark is http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/frames.asp

BEV Ultra Size

BEV Ultra Size: The protein blend in this product is the best we've ever seen for growth. Instead of using just one protein, Ultra Size contains 4 different high quality proteins including the following: Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Egg White, and Hydrolyzed Beef Plasma. The two most prevalent proteins in Ultra Size are designed to be in the same proportion as mother's milk. Each of the individual protein sources found in Ultra Size has its own unique amino acid profile. By combining these proteins into one easy-to-use formula, the overall amino acid profile for growth is increased dramatically.

Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours.

Retail Price $45.00
Our Price $45.00
Sale Price $39.99

Please Select Options
Flavor ChocolateVanilla

Back To Product List

Product Features
35 Servings per container.
In a recent interview Roger and Dr. Eric Serrano MD, discussed the anabolic properties of different proteins. Interesting to note, all of the "anabolic" proteins that Dr. Serrano listed are in this product! To get all of the proteins in one scoop of Ultra Size from food you would have to eat egg whites, drink some mother's milk (now that might be a tough one to find), add a bit of cottage cheese and a cut of red meat, then wash all of that down with a glass of milk! There's no other product on the market that can come close to that big dose of anabolic proteins (except Mass Maker, which is also from Beverly International!).
Even though the general public thinks they should avoid fat like the plague, bodybuilders are finally starting to realize the importance of healthy oils. You can't grow without them. A healthy source of lipids is essential for proper growth, maintenance, and functioning of the body. In Ultra Size the lipid blend includes the following: Safflower Oil, Borage Oil, MCT Oil, Lecithin and Cream. The oils in Ultra Size enhance the insulinogenic properties of the mixed protein profile to create a steady and stable insulin response to keep you in an almost constant anabolic state. Ultra Size also contains just enough complex carbs to replenish glycogen and spare protein for growth
With the popularity of meal replacement packs, we are often asked why we do not put any of our products into a pack. The answer is really a question. How can a foil pack offered in one size (usually 72gm) be the right amount of nutrients for every bodybuilder regardless of their weight - male or female? Well, it can't be the right amount. And you would be insulted if you new how much you are paying for just the foil wrap and not the product itself when you purchase a meal replacement. When you use Beverly International you get a quality product, not fancy packaging and wrapping. To be precise with your nutrition, you need to be able to measure your servings to fit your personal needs. So, we include a 1oz. Scoop with your Ultra Size. Transporting a measured portion of Ultra Size in a shaker bottle or Tupperware should be no problem. You get the added benefit of tailoring the portion size to your own specifications.
Ultra Size fits perfectly into any type of diet. If you are on a low carb moderate fat diet, then Ultra Size mixed in water provides a ratio of 55% protein, 30% fat, and 15% carbs. Or add an ounce or two of heavy whipping cream to increase the calorie and fat content to fit in with the Anabolic or Body Opus diet programs.
Never before has a product blended so many growth-producing nutrients together. Ultra Size contains Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Egg White and even Hydrolyzed Beef Plasma (you'll be reading about this one soon - some recent studies show it to be the number 1 protein for growth - period!) to create the ultimate blend of growth inducing proteins. By blending proteins, it increases the efficiency of each individual protein and improves the overall amino acid profile. Ultra Size also contains an excellent mixture of essential fatty acids and anabolic oils such as Safflower and Borage oil needed to produce muscle growth. For over 30 years Beverly International has formulated products for champion athletes that are unequaled. Ultra Size is no exception.
With Ultra Size, you can always be prepared. You'll get all the benefits without the hassle of having to mix whole food proteins together, adding flax oil and other essential fats, or even adding vegetables. Ultra Size by itself is the most complete blend of nutrients for growth that has ever been developed.

Old 07-01-2004, 09:16 AM   #9
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Just my two cents, but I find it interesting that most or all "low carb" replacement items utilize soy protein flour in the place of wheat based flour. These products include low carb pasta, chips, snacks, and cake/baking mixes. All taste horrible and as we are now realizing, have little or no benefit to those practicing a low carb lifestyle. Best to just say "No!" to these soy based products. Mine all ended up in the trash long ago!
Old 07-01-2004, 09:18 AM   #10
Brian Hand

Profile:

Barry, I have used this product, as you see it is a meal replacement rather than just a protein powder (that is, it has fats and carbs, too). It tastes *really* good and mixes easily. Beverly has been around forever and has always enjoyed a reputation for high quality. I like Ultra Size as an alternative to the individual serving MRP's like MetRx and Myoplex. For milk and egg protein powder, I also use their Muscle Provider, it tastes almost as good. I get it at http://www.dpsnutrition.com