CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-13-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
Matthew Schomaker

Profile:  
I understand that about .8 to 1 gram of protein per pound of weight is the suggested amount per day. But how much of this should be made up of supplements like Whey Protein and how much should be whole foods like chicken or nuts? Does it matter?
Old 04-13-2004, 10:42 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Matthew-

I would recomend the maximum % from real food. Use supplements as an emergency measure instead of frequent meal replacements.
Robb
Old 04-14-2004, 11:33 AM   #3
Ryan Shanks

Profile:

What's the problem with getting some or a large portion of your protein from whey powder?
Old 04-14-2004, 01:25 PM   #4
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I might be sticking my neck into an area that it doesn't belong here, but my thinking would be that by consuming your protein from mainly food sources rather than mainly powder sources is that food will contain other nutrients. For instance, when you eat an egg, cottage cheese, or salmon, (can you tell what I eat alot of?) you're not only getting the protein, but the fats, vitamins, minerals, etc. There might be some absorption reasons as well. I'm sure Robb can set me straight if I'm off on this.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
Ryan Shanks

Profile:

Okay, but for me it's a question of chicken breast, vs canned tuna vs whey. Bottom line for me, I guess is that I know I get way more nutrition when I include shakes in my diet.

I'm going to work on eating more vegetables before I start thinking about eating less whey.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:10 PM   #6
Scott Parker

Profile:
when i asked this question before it was answered that since they whey powders are refined they are absorbed faster than your body can process, so even though you are taking in enough protein your body will not necessarily be able to utilize it.

this is just my understanding, so please correct me if i am wrong!

scott
Old 04-14-2004, 03:44 PM   #7
Brian Hand

Profile:

Ryan, whey is not the last word in protein supplements. It is cheap, tastes okay, is high in BCAA's, supports the immune system, and is easily absorbed and used. However, it is absorbed so fast that if you take enough you're going to spike insulin and may wind up burning much of the protein. I drink a moderate amount of whey during workouts, for snacks / meals / supplements I use a product that blends whey, casein, and egg. This should give a more sustained absorbtion.