CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #51
John Papianou

Profile:
Re: sweet potatoes versus fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
I can't believe we're actually debating whether or not fruit is healthy. I saw an IMAX 3D movie about orangutans and they were eating fruit left and right. They might have been bulking though
I recently read that paleo man, in his constant struggle to find food, would walk right past fruit fields for fear of getting fat.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #52
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Papianou View Post
I recently read that paleo man, in his constant struggle to find food, would walk right past fruit fields for fear of getting fat.
Probably true. ^
Old 06-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #53
Paul Coomans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
I got absolutely ripped some time ago eating only these foods... Bananas, eggs, turkey burgers, almonds, apples, larabars, and those greek yogurts with the fruit in the bottom. nothing but fruit and protein. Had abs for the first time in my life
Phil Hernon, a very successful BB'er in the 90s, has his clients on a protein/fat/fruit diet to get ripped.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #54
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Is this no fruit thing a Paleo Thing? Because if it I'm starting to question the whole mentality. I already don't understand why you can have almonds, walnuts, pecans, but not peanuts or legumes (I read the reasons and I still think it is stupid.).
Old 06-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #55
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Is this no fruit thing a Paleo Thing? Because if it I'm starting to question the whole mentality. I already don't understand why you can have almonds, walnuts, pecans, but not peanuts or legumes (I read the reasons and I still think it is stupid.).
Paulo, I think it began sooner than Paleo. I am only guessing, but I remember when the Atkins came out (years ago), and ketosis could only be accomplished with ZERO carbs. So fatter friends of mine could eat all the double cheeseburgers(no bun) and veggies possible, but gawd forbid a piece of fruit. When I started crossfit and learned about the Zone Diet and high glycemic foods, I saw he prescribes "half" a banana for snacks n such. "Half" a banana <- really? I can eat 8 bananas and my blood sugar does not spike above 180mg/dl. I know I am lucky cause I do know diabetics that spike high even looking at bananas (but berries do not). Crossfit mainpage 100-word fitness refers to "Eat meat, veggies, some fruit, etc..". Anyway, possibly the largest culprit might be people misreading this "sugar" thing. We associate sugar with fruit, and therefore people start watching it very carefully. Also realize many people are very successful on diets that reduce fruit....so they go and blog about no fruit and the dominoes fall. We must question EVERYTHING, and experiment on ourselves.

What I suggest to all, is get a glucose monitor, and test your own blood sugar after consuming mono meals (as well as mixed macro meals). Its funny that a buddy of mine, with similar height, weight, strengths eats close to 75% protein & fat, where I'm about 75% fruit. We are both shreaded like anatomy charts (I am more vascular). So same end result with 2 totally different diets. And we both feel we are on the right path. Hence, all the confusion regarding nutrition.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #56
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
The paleo version of the anti-fruit argument is basically (1) Paleo man only had access to it seasonally, and paleo fruit wasn't like modern orchard varieties, plus (2) fructose is bad for all the reasons Matt explained upthread.

(What I don't understand is why the same people who talk about how un-paleo fruit is have no qualms about stuff like bacon.)

My own take -- and my most significant criticism of the paleo diet -- is that moderation is an underappreciated virtue. If you're avoiding fruit, but dousing everything you eat in olive oil to get enough calories, something is wrong. A diet based on moderate portions of a wide variety of natural foods is a lot more sustainable.

It's also important to remember that athletes are not the target audience for most diets, sedentary obese people are. Exercise is a very powerful stabilizer for many many metabolic issues, and so athletes simply don't have the same potential issues with things like blood sugar management that obese people do. Advice that might work well for someone who wants to lose weight while sitting on the couch might be disastrous for someone trying to "lean out" to be a more competitive Crossfitter.

Katherine
Old 06-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #57
Sara Mathews

Profile:

From reading Robb Wolf's book I got this general impression about fruit... If you are overweight, cutting back on fruit (after getting the rest of your diet in line) until reaching target weight is a good option, along with choosing lower fructose varieties such as berries. Maybe I've misunderstood, but to me this does not say that fruit is bad or you have to limit it forever, just that it is an area that can be reduced in an already good diet if really trying to lose weight. And yeah, most diet plans are geared towards overweight and inactive people. I don't think I'd ever give up fruit.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #58
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

I just wanted to share with the masses how much fruit I consumed last night after dinner and prior to going to bed: 3 apples, 2 bananas, 1 mango and 2 cups of blueberries and 2 larabars. On top of that I had a large amount of PB and close to 2 cups of greek yogurt.

All night I was worried that I wouldn't be able to see my six pack in the morning. I had nightmares about it.......

But, when the sun came out and I looked in the mirror everything was okay. My six pack was still there.

Eat fruit, it's delicious.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:29 AM   #59
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Mathews View Post
From reading Robb Wolf's book I got this general impression about fruit... If you are overweight, cutting back on fruit (after getting the rest of your diet in line) until reaching target weight is a good option, along with choosing lower fructose varieties such as berries.
Like many of the things Robb Wolf says this is bad advice and kinda stupid if you think about it.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #60
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Like many of the things Robb Wolf says this is bad advice and kinda stupid if you think about it.
Oh no you ditten