CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #31
John Papianou

Profile:
Re: sweet potatoes versus fruit

Paulo, haven't you read Genesis? Fruit is responsible for all the ills in this world.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #32
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Papianou View Post
Paulo, haven't you read Genesis? Fruit is responsible for all the ills in this world.
Damn it. How can I forget that? LOL.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #33
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Papianou View Post
Only apples. Mangoes and bananas are fine.

Katherine
Old 06-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #34
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post

Katherine
Mangoes are the one piece of fruit that is evil for me. I get an allergic reaction to them, which sucks because they are by far my favorite.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #35
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I thought I'd share this just for fun.

First, I am currently leaning out and I eat fruit, and I used to havea little bit of carbophobia a few years ago.

However, I've always paid attention to little details in my body, things that are probably insignificant to others, but I am a firm believer that these little things mean something and one should pay attention to.

Where I am getting to is here: I haven't been to a dentist since about 7 years ago (LOL), I know, I should go.... but everything looks and feels OK so why bother? Anyways, in the past couple of years, it seems that if I go overboard with the fruit, a dental cavity or two kinda appears (or awakens?). I am talking about eating mango, pineapple, papaya, banana, all in the same day (these things grow all the time where I live).

However, once the amount of fruit is reduced, any teeth sensitivity goes back to "sleep", for years... (dang, I'm gonna have to be dragged by someone to the dentist one of these days!).

I believe Dr. Kurt Harris in his blog, who spoke a lot about Fructose being one of the 3 evils of modern food, said that different authors had different limits for just how much fructose a day is good/bad. I think TOO much fruit is indeed a bad thing, but I can't tell how much. Recently I've been eating roughly this: half a small pineapple, big piece of papaya (size of my whole hand perhaps), and two medium bananas.... with no ill effects. And did I say I am leaning out? As long as no tooth ache pops up I guess it's all right.

There's my two cents of bro-science.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #36
Matt Sloan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post

Katherine
And ONLY! if Katherine says so
Old 06-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #37
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sloan View Post
You like to challenge people on the whole fruit subject, but when someone give you proof you use the same lame line. If you want to lean out (which you have no problem with) then cut out the fruit. Simple science! As mentioned before Bodybuilders are not cutting out fruit because they don't like it, they cut fruit and other carbs to get shredded.....
Not true at all. Im very lean right now and eat a large amount of fruit daily. I have eaten fruit at every point in my initial weight loss period years ago to fueling my activities and workouts now. Im lean and have very low bodyfat. What's even scarier is I eat 2 lara bars a day too. I should be a disgusting fat body now, but I'm not.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #38
Dan Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
lara bars
Mmmmm. Apple pie is my favorite. Cherry and coconut are tied for 2nd.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #39
Matt Sloan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Not true at all. Im very lean right now and eat a large amount of fruit daily. I have eaten fruit at every point in my initial weight loss period years ago to fueling my activities and workouts now. Im lean and have very low bodyfat. What's even scarier is I eat 2 lara bars a day too. I should be a disgusting fat body now, but I'm not.
That's Awesome Doug Congratulations! I have a friend that eats around 6000 cals a day he's 6'3" doesn't exercise and doesn't gain a pound.

Problem is most people that challenge the Fruitopobia people think that they can speak for the entire population
Old 06-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #40
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thomas View Post
Mmmmm. Apple pie is my favorite. Cherry and coconut are tied for 2nd.
Have you tried the new Uber Nut roll larabar? Holy mother bleeper of all thing nutty and good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sloan View Post
That's Awesome Doug Congratulations! I have a friend that eats around 6000 cals a day he's 6'3" doesn't exercise and doesn't gain a pound.

Problem is most people that challenge the Fruitopobia people think that they can speak for the entire population
It's fruit. If fruit is some how causing people to gain weight or not lose weight then there is problems somewhere else in their diet. The fruit isnt the problem.