CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-28-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
Alessandro Bebawe

Profile:
"Diane" Back Injury

Hi guys,

Last Friday I attempted to do "Diane" rx'ed for the first time and was absolutely chuffed that I managed to complete the WOD. Nothing went wrong on the day, I even went out to a bar post WOD.

Didn't actually feel something wrong until the following morning, the muscles on either side of my spine on my lower back were extremely tight and swollen. Extremely painful to pretty much do anything, including walk. I applied heat packs to the effected areas for the duration of the weekend and saw a doctor on Monday. I was told my spine was fine and that putting the heat packs on was the worst thing I could have done as it only made the swelling worse.

It's now Wednesday and it has gotten a bit better but still painful to move. The best way for me to describe the sensation is that when I stand up straight, it feels like the muscles either side of my spine are tensing so hard that they feel like they are going to burst. I have been taking over the counter anti inflammatories as prescribed by my doctor. I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar injury and how long it took for them to recover and get back to doing the WOD's.

Kind Regards
Alex
Old 03-28-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: "Diane" Back Injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Bebawe View Post
Hi guys,

Last Friday I attempted to do "Diane" rx'ed for the first time and was absolutely chuffed that I managed to complete the WOD. Nothing went wrong on the day, I even went out to a bar post WOD.

Didn't actually feel something wrong until the following morning, the muscles on either side of my spine on my lower back were extremely tight and swollen. Extremely painful to pretty much do anything, including walk. I applied heat packs to the effected areas for the duration of the weekend and saw a doctor on Monday. I was told my spine was fine and that putting the heat packs on was the worst thing I could have done as it only made the swelling worse.

It's now Wednesday and it has gotten a bit better but still painful to move. The best way for me to describe the sensation is that when I stand up straight, it feels like the muscles either side of my spine are tensing so hard that they feel like they are going to burst. I have been taking over the counter anti inflammatories as prescribed by my doctor. I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar injury and how long it took for them to recover and get back to doing the WOD's.

Kind Regards
Alex
I had a lower back muscle strain from a DL progression near my 1RM. It took about 2-3 weeks to completely heal. Here are a couple things I did that really helped the process:
-do not deadlift or do back squats at all (really anything that puts weight overhead, on your shoulders, or rack...I know, that really limits you, but it needs recovery time)
-heat before you WOD
-Ice immediately afterwards, even if it doesn't hurt...it is a good preventative measure
-I upped my fish oil (epa/dha) intake a bit, not sure if this helped, but I did it anyways.
-for me, part of the problem was that I have terrible hamstring flexibility and this was compounding the problem. So, I did a lot of hamstring stretching, rolling, and lower back stretching/rolling everyday.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Dan Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
-do not...do back squats at all
Agree on the back squats. I've been nursing a sore/pinched left hip/low back injury for about a week. Thought I'd slowly work back into it with some Cindy-ish rounds today... just air squats, right? Pfft. No. Not even with excellent form... it still gave me a good ache around round 6 and through cooldown.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

mobility work from here would be a good idea:

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/0...ur-lower-back/