CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-13-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
Corey Duvall

Profile:
Not that I think it is entirely bad, but my girlfriend and I started the zone this week and have started to encounter a couple things. We have been getting some mid-afternoon headaches. Nothing severe, but I NEVER get headaches (aside from the occasional hangover) and thought this was rather strange. We have also had some bouts of light-headedness when standing up quickly. I know this happens occasionally, but we have both experienced it this week to a more significant degree (felt like we could pass out if we hadn't really stopped and gathered ourselves). My thoughts are that it is due to some hypoglycemia due to our relative lack of carbohydrate intake now (eating a much smaller percentage now than our prior habits) and figure it will go away as our bodies adapt. But just curious if anyone else had some similar bouts?

For the record, she is 25, 5'3", 118, very athletic and eating 14 blocks... I am 25, 5'11", 172, athletic and eating 24 blocks (looking to gain lean mass).
Old 08-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Are you eating enough calories? 14 blocks isn't much...taken strictly its only 1085 calories. For you its only 1860.

The math, 1 fat block = 1.5 grams * 9 cal = 13.5 cal/block. 1 carb block = 9 grams * 4 cal = 36 cal/block. 1 protein block = 7 grams * 4 cal = 28 cal/block.

On a hard day like today, with a high basal rate metabolism and a kick butt WOD we are talking 3500-4000 calories that can be burned by you, probably 2500-3000 by her. So you aren't eating to supplement your work. Don't eat to support your metabolism + training and you will fizzle.

Easy way to fix this is to add fat blocks to supplement the calories. This is because of the non-glycemic effect of fat and the ton of calories it provides. Easy fix, more olive oil, flax meal (if you want a fiber bomb). At 17 blocks (5'11", 170) with 3x fat I was feeling great, but I noticed in WODs going over 20 minutes, I feel a small but noticeable decline. So I went with 22 blocks, and stopped counting fat in meat and added extra fats. The result was a 1 pound change in weight, and the ability to fly through WODs like today's. I have found my groove. I also make a healthy cheat meal once a week rather then having my first one in 7 months a couple of weeks ago. Cheating more has allowed me to feel fresher.

My "cheat" was a flax meal crust pizza with some turkey sausage blended into homemade marinara sauce and some red peppers and eggplant with a little mozzarella cheese on top. Doesn't sound like much till you realize the crust alone was about 700 calories, and 40g of fiber. =)

Another thing, with fresh fruits and veggies you are also getting a ton more fiber, especially insoluble fiber. This increases your water intake needs.

Lastly, it has been only a week. Your body is coming off its sensitivity of sugar. As your insulin sensitivity comes into check, you will feel a whole lot better.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Becca Borawski

Profile:
That math is assuming that every block has no calories in it from other things though -- not many things are purely fat, protein, or carb, even if they're counted as that in the Zone block scheme. Most foods are a combination of those things, so there are calories that aren't being figured into that 1085 and 1860.

I eat 12 blocks a day (I'm 5'5" and 130lbs) and my prescription is actually 11 -- I'm working my way down to it. I started at 13 blocks and have been going down every few weeks as I get used to the amount of food. For me, 12 blocks winds up being about 1500-1700 calories a day (I track all my food on Fitday.com). I do CrossFit 4-5x a week and do Tai Chi/Qi Gong 2-3x a week, and an occasional run as well, and have experienced no energy loss issues.

As far as the headaches, Corey, it very well could be a "withdrawl" thing -- I experienced that the first time I tried the Zone (it took me a few tries over the last couple years until it finally stuck). Could be from the large difference in carb/sugar intake.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:
Even on Fitday, unless you customize every food, it is only a comfortable guide. After 2 months of minutely tracking and customizing the foods + weighing each food the difference can be as little as 200 calories, sometimes as much as 400 per day. So I quit the Fitday because it was taking over my waking hours of tracking food. Still not enough calories for the purposes of a highly active individual. The eyeball Zone as most people use still doesn't give enough. All the calorie restriction people will argue this to death, but I've found at least for me, restricting my calories leads to slower WOD times, and faster burnouts.

Of course everyone should work the ideas and amounts for what works best for them. This is just my experience.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I don't eyeball things unless it's a food I eat daily and know very well -- I always recommend that people are religious about measuring especially during the first couple weeks because most people's "ideas" of what a cup is or a tablespoon is are actually pretty inaccurate.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:25 AM   #6
Monique T. Ames

Profile:
Corey,
According to DR Sears, the headaches are from too many blocks. As Becca said, you and your gf are consuming too many blocks. There is a dead on block calculator at www.zoneliving.com.

I am 5'6, 150lbs, CF 5x/wk. I eat 13 blocks and am working down to 12 blocks. My bf is 6'3, 220lbs, CF 3x/wk, heavy strength trn 2x/wk. He eats 24 blocks. We have no problems, no hunger...lots of energy. So, again, you guys are eating too many blocks.

Also, after getting your correct block Rx, if you still get headaches or fatigue right after eating, then drop 1 carb block and add 3 fat blocks. You'll have to read the ZoneLiving site and the Performance Menu to know why. It works.

Hope this helps you.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
Corey Duvall

Profile:
Thanks for all the advice.

The calculator for women we found said she should be eating 14 blocks (the zoneliving one does not work for females, on my computer at least). I am looking to be about 200 lbs and <10%bf and it suggested 24 blocks. Should I just slowly increase my blocks, one more every week or so?

The headaches and fatigue aren't right after eating. For me, the first one was midafternoon, after watching a 2 hour movie. The second one was yesterday, and it started at the end of the WOD, continued for about 20 minutes after that, and then disappeared. I kind of assumed it was the relative decrease in blood sugar, the workout really kicked my but I felt great throughout it, finished with a pretty good time (~43min) and other than the slight headache I had almost zero fatigue (relatively speaking).
Old 08-14-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I know a few people who've used various calculators online and they all come up a little funky and usually over what they really should be at.

I was told first hand at one of the certs I should be 11 blocks by Nicole and Lauren, so I trust that. Your girlfriend is shorter and lighter than me, so I wouldn't think she should be at 14.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
Corey Duvall

Profile:
I'll try tellin her that, haha (she likes to eat)

Thanks everyone
Old 08-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #10
Becca Borawski

Profile:
LOL - yeah, I hear ya! She can always try what I did, start at like 13 blocks, stay there for a month, then move down to 12, stay there for a bit, then down to 11...that way it's not such a harsh adjustment.