CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Kyle Kim

Profile:
lower back tightness

I know that there are tons of threads that have the exact topic as this one, but it seems like I haven't gotten my answer yet.

I've been doing crossfit for about 6 months now. (I do 3 on 1 off)
I love everything about crossfit, but every time I do high reps of kettlebell swings or deadlifts in the workout, my lower back gets tight really fast.
For example, today I did
800m run
10 rounds of
10 kettlebell swings (53)
10 box jumps (24'')
and finished up with 800m run. I was in really good shape for the first 5 rounds, but after that, my back started getting tight. And when I started the last 800m run, I just couldn't run anymore because of my back. I ran for few seconds and stopped and ran for few and stopped and so on.
Also my lower back gets loosen up and is not sore anymore in 10 minutes or so after the workout. Plus I feel fine when I do short heavy deadlift wod. So i've never thought that there is something wrong with my back. But now I'm starting to think so.
It's just so annoying because I've been doing back workouts like the one I did today at least once a week for the last 6 months and it just never gets easier.
I can definitely handle way more weights than before, but my back just don't last long.

Have any idea?
Old 10-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: lower back tightness

Do mobility work for your hamstrings and back and foam roll before your workout, foam roll and stretch your hamstrings and back after your workout and on off days. It is probably a combination of tight hamstrings and back, if you losen your hamstrings up you back will probably feel a lot better.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Emil Raev

Profile:

I have the exact same problem you are describing. It does help a bit if I stretch before and during the workout but I still haven't found a way to completely eliminate the pain
Old 10-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
John Corona

Profile:

What Luke said. Try to stretch and loosen up the whole back side of your body. Calves, hamstrings, back, etc.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Try slowing down a bit and watching your form. Letting your lower back get loose during high rep swings or deads can cause all kinds of lower back unhappiness.

Katherine
Old 10-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Start stretching your quads, hip flexors, and hamstrings. Once they loosen up, so will your lower back.

Make sure you are squeezing your butt and keeping your belly tight when swinging. It is easy to forget and overextend(ouchie) your spine.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
Troy Peterson

Profile:

In my personal experience and doing some research your lower back could be sounding an alarm with tightness. The alarm may be warning you of any of the following: lack of flexibilty/mobility in hamstrings, hip flexors, piriformis (outside of hip), calves.

With the exercises you performed all are likely to stress the back: kb, boxjumps & run. I found boxjumps especially rough on my back. Then I worked on hamstring flexibility and my hip (see Kelly Starrett's mwod for ideas on both.

It's not something you can just do for a day before your workout....need to work out post workout consistently. You will see progress after just a few days but depending on how tight you really are, may not see back pain relief doing certain movements (boxjumps, running) until your mobility is better.

It will be on ongoing process - won't be fixed overnight and will never be just right with no continued mobility work.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Have access to an inversion table or gravity boots? Something similar can be done by hanging upside down on a bar from the knees.