CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Josh LaCroix

Profile:
sensation of water in my ear

I've had this feeling for almost a week now, and the best way I can describe it is a slight deafness in my right ear, like a constant 'unpopped' air bubble like what you get from altitude changes. I'm assuming it happened while I was in the shower, but from I've googled, it seems it could be one of many issues. Swallowing makes the same clicky type sound you get when you actually do have water/pressure difference in the ear, except swallowing and pinching my nose and trying to equalize don't make it go away.

the simplest fix I read was squirting 70% rubbing alcohol down my ear to evaporate the water, I've tried this but no dice. Another thing I've read is it could be inflammed jaw muscles, which are apparently very close to the ear and could cause a disturbance. The most expensive sounding problems is something about E-tubes, which I guess have to do with draining fluid from the ear. anyone have any past experience with this, or a potential cure without shelling out money to the doc?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: sensation of water in my ear

I had something similar for a while and it drove me absolutely insane. I tried anything I could find online and it didn't really fix it, eventually it went away though. I would say go see a doctor if it is bothering you that bad, luckily mine went away before it got to that point but I never want to deal with that again.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Josh LaCroix

Profile:

Well I don't have insurance currently, and I'm starting basic training in november so I guess I'll just wait and deal. It's only annoying when I have time to sit and think about it though, so there's that at least.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
Matt Heriot

Profile:

I had a issue where I could not hear out of one of my ears but could not figure out what it was. Turned out it was a buildup of wax/crud at my inner ear that had softened (from swimming) and moved over my eardrum. I used a Murine ear wax removal kit and problem was solved. Could not believe the stuff that was getting flushed outta there.

Not saying this is what you have but can hurt to try.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
Evelyn Scarborough

Profile:

First piece of advice is to fork out the $ for a visit to an ENT doc if you think you have a problem. There really could be all sorts of things causing it.

But, I had a very similar experience to yours and it was a build-up of earwax. I had been having worsening of my seasonal allergies for a few years (itching eyes, sinus congestion, etc.). Finally I began to get this sensation of fullness in my ear, like you said, it felt like there was water stuck in there and I had trouble hearing. I tried the earwax drops intermittently, tried rubbing alcohol to evaporate water, nothing worked. I finally had to go to an ENT and you wouldn't believe how much wax he got out, it was ridiculous.

Good news is, he gave me a pamphlet on ear care and while I have had a recurrence of this problem, by following the steps consistently for several days I had my ear cleared out again and didn't have to go back to him. This is what it said:

Get a dropper and use 3% hydrogen peroxide (found at drugstore) to put a few drops in your ear before getting in the shower. It should bubble down in your ear and loosen the wax.

In the shower, let some of the warm water spray to get down in your ear canal. The warm water softens the wax and the mechanical action of the water moves the wax out of the ear canal.

After the shower, put a few drops of plain rubbing isopropyl alcohol to pull the water out of the ear canal skin and help it evaporate to avoid a swimmer's ear infection. A few people are sensitive to the oils and by-products in the rubbing alcohol. The very best medicinal alcohol is sold at the liquor store as "Everclear" ethanol (pure grain alcohol).

Repeat for 3 or 4 nights in a row every two or three months, especially during the summer.

Good luck.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Heriot View Post
I had a issue where I could not hear out of one of my ears but could not figure out what it was. Turned out it was a buildup of wax/crud at my inner ear that had softened (from swimming) and moved over my eardrum. I used a Murine ear wax removal kit and problem was solved. Could not believe the stuff that was getting flushed outta there.

Not saying this is what you have but can hurt to try.
this is a likely cause (called a "wax impaction")... it's happened to me a half-dozen times and it feels almost exactly how you describe. Tends to happen out of nowhere.

Murine works for some, but hasn't for me. My best luck has come from hydrogen peroxide... lay on your side, drip it in till it's full and let it fizz in there for 10 minutes. afterwards you'll probably be able to pull out a crap-ton of now-soft earwax with Q-tips (obviously with gentleness and great patience as not to do any permanent damage). It usually takes me 3-4 days of doing this a couple times a day before it finally clears, but if you let it clear naturally it can take weeks.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh LaCroix View Post
Well I don't have insurance currently, and I'm starting basic training in november so I guess I'll just wait and deal. It's only annoying when I have time to sit and think about it though, so there's that at least.
Wait until you're in Basic, tell them about it...free medical is a beautiful thing. Unfortunately when it turns out to be a wax impaction, some junior medic (or Corpsman) will use cold water in a bulp and a speculum (cold) to pry it out. Good times, good training for when you're a POW...enjoy.