CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #351
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Westside etc. - please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane Greene View Post
Chris,

Super wide stance even when squatting completely raw? I've tried it and it feels as though I'm a wishbone post thanksgiving dinner.
If you squat raw go as wide as you can and still hit parallel or just below. For most people this will be somewhat narrower than can be done with briefs and or a suit (but still a wide stance).
Old 12-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #352
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
If you squat raw go as wide as you can and still hit parallel or just below. For most people this will be somewhat narrower than can be done with briefs and or a suit (but still a wide stance).
I know for Powerlifters the wide stance helps utilise suits as well as cutting down on ROM, but will this carry over to a front squat/ HBBS which is more CrossFit related?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #353
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Since we're on the topic of squat...my question is about hand placement as well as bar placement.

I've seen guys have there hands right next to their delts, and there is no way in hell i could do that. I guess how do you know where best to place the bar and your hands according to your build.

One other thing i've noticed, is going high reps, my right shoulder will start feeling all pins n needles down my right arm from my shoulder (i've only been feeling this past month)
Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #354
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I'm wider than many when I squat but still not 'wide'. I'm also quad dominant which is another reason my squat/deadlift is so far apart (i mean If i could just squat my deadlift i'd be set ;p )

I keep my hands pretty close inside when squatting. Do Ripptoes suggested hand placement myself. It keeps me tight up top and I really don't feel the weight when i'm 400+

Like many I feel more secure then if I tried to hold my grip further out.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #355
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
I know for Powerlifters the wide stance helps utilise suits as well as cutting down on ROM, but will this carry over to a front squat/ HBBS which is more CrossFit related?
Again, wide for a raw squat will not be as wide as equipped lifters use, but still pretty wide.

Yes, you will experience excellent carryover.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #356
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Since we're on the topic of squat...my question is about hand placement as well as bar placement.

I've seen guys have there hands right next to their delts, and there is no way in hell i could do that. I guess how do you know where best to place the bar and your hands according to your build.

One other thing i've noticed, is going high reps, my right shoulder will start feeling all pins n needles down my right arm from my shoulder (i've only been feeling this past month)
Hold it as narrow as you can. In my case, that is almost collar to collar.

You should get a massage. You have some upper back/neck issues which should be addressed (causing those pins and needles).
Old 12-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #357
Rick Scarpulla

Profile:

We are working hard on geting this program ready to go. Hang in there as it all takes time to get it the way we want it. Some small changes occour along the way and cause small set backs but we are doing our best. In the mean time we will try and be as helpful as possible while remaining in the constraints of this fourm and CF guidelines.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #358
Thomas Baker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
I might try it, but sounds painful!
Hey Drew,

Just wanted to let you know that I had never done Rick's tricep work until the other day and it felt GREAT! Even an unweighted regular triceps extension doesn't feel great, but his modification is excellent even as we went heavy (heavy for me was #135 on them). In fact, my triceps were hit very HARD from the, but no elbow pain at all, not even close. Def a GREAT exercise and healthier for the elbows than any alternative. Once you get the movement pattern it's very natural.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #359
Sandon Viers

Profile:

I am currently following the CF conjugate method Chris wrote and wondering about the accessory work. While the ME exercises are rotated after 3 weeks, is this the same for accessory work? Or can I switch up the exercises every week as long as I am hitting the proper muscle groups?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #360
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandon Viers View Post
I am currently following the CF conjugate method Chris wrote and wondering about the accessory work. While the ME exercises are rotated after 3 weeks, is this the same for accessory work? Or can I switch up the exercises every week as long as I am hitting the proper muscle groups?
You can switch every week, but the recommendation would be to milk the special exercises for what you can then switch.