CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #51
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: Overall thoughts on Open WODs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Just so it is publicly stated if you want to be in the running you better be able to do:

Double unders unbroken
Hand stand push-up (I could easily see a 21-15-9 rep. WOD)
Pistols
Thrusters up to 135 (lots, fast)
Muscle-ups
2 pood kettle bell swings
275 dead lift
15-20' Rope climbs (lots, fast)
30" Box Jumps
Toes thur Rings
Ring dips, lots
Things that I specifically trained before Regionals last year:
Double unders
HSPUs
Thrusters and OHS at 95 lbs
Muscle ups
1.5 pood KB swings
185 lb deadlifts
20' rope climbs
Ring dips
Chest to bar pullups
Ground to overhead at 105/115 lbs

See, you are correct. It is NOT a secret, and it is EASY to do your homework.

Which is why I am at a loss for words when people get spanked in the WODs and then act all surprised...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #52
Nalin Prabhu
Member Nalin Prabhu is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Troy  OH
Posts: 562
Re: Overall thoughts on Open wods?

This (this whining and complaining) is what happens when you bring up kids believing that "there are no loser, everyone's a winner" and hand out medals/ prizes for just competing.

</rant off>

But seriously, no matter what was programmed and in what order, we would still be sitting here with the benefit of hindsight picking apart each wod.

My only beef with this format is that one doesn't have to perform 'on-demand'. It's no longer about being prepared for the unknown and unknowable- it more about how much can you practice in a week to get a better score.

My $0.02
__________________
5'9"/ 175lb/ 31yrs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #53
Charles Applin
Member Charles Applin is offline
 
Charles Applin's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Yokosuka 横須賀  Kanagawa 神&#2
Posts: 437
Re: Overall thoughts on Open wods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
I'm at a loss for words at some of the comments here. Seriously, people are mad that the workouts eliminated those people that couldn't do them?
Not mad, disappointed.

First, in the open as set up, there's no need to fully eliminate people due to inability to do a WOD. The only reason to cut is for logistical reasons which will only come into play at Regionals or the Games.

Second, having all people participate fully in all six weeks gives you outstanding data on overall fitness across gender, age, height, weight and region. By cutting people out due to poor performance at one WOD removes a lot of useful data without accomplishing anything.

Heck, like I posted before, I think next time they try this, there should be official scaling that'll help cast an even wider net.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #54
Jason Wallis
Member Jason Wallis is offline
 
Jason Wallis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Marshfield  MO
Posts: 1,182
Re: Overall thoughts on Open wods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
Not mad, disappointed.

First, in the open as set up, there's no need to fully eliminate people due to inability to do a WOD. The only reason to cut is for logistical reasons which will only come into play at Regionals or the Games.

Second, having all people participate fully in all six weeks gives you outstanding data on overall fitness across gender, age, height, weight and region. By cutting people out due to poor performance at one WOD removes a lot of useful data without accomplishing anything.

Heck, like I posted before, I think next time they try this, there should be official scaling that'll help cast an even wider net.
Why not just eliminate the competition all together and just give everyone who pays their ten bucks a nice certificate of completion?
Scaling, in the competition to find the "fittest person on the planet," really? That's paramount to just letting everyone make up their own workout.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #55
Charles Applin
Member Charles Applin is offline
 
Charles Applin's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Yokosuka 横須賀  Kanagawa 神&#2
Posts: 437
Re: Overall thoughts on Open wods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Why not just eliminate the competition all together and just give everyone who pays their ten bucks a nice certificate of completion?
Scaling, in the competition to find the "fittest person on the planet," really? That's paramount to just letting everyone make up their own workout.
Well, I hope that red herring served on a strawman tasted great.

How did you miss that I'm saying that CFHQ can still find the 2,000 world's fittest men and women (and send them on to Regionals) in ADDITION to testing and recording the physical capacity of thousands of other people? I'm talking at the big picture here, and also noting how little extra effort it'd take to gather more useful data.

Also, I'm pretty sure I wrote "official scaling" akin to how BrandX does it, which does not equate to "making up their own workout". Yeah, I was more detailed in the prior page's post, but it should be obvious that official means actual numbers one must use to count. For example, instead of 2,000 women (not sure thanks to removal page numbers on the Beta board) with a score of 1 on WOD#3, they could have introduced official scaling of 90 pounds and 65 pounds. Those same ladies still would have been 5337th place or lower, however we would at least have a better breakdown of ability across the board IN ADDITION TO having scores on those ladies that could handle 110# for multiple reps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:00 AM   #56
Aushion Chatman
Affiliate Aushion Chatman is offline
 
Aushion Chatman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 3,342
Re: Overall thoughts on Open wods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
Well, I hope that red herring served on a strawman tasted great.

How did you miss that I'm saying that CFHQ can still find the 2,000 world's fittest men and women (and send them on to Regionals) in ADDITION to testing and recording the physical capacity of thousands of other people? I'm talking at the big picture here, and also noting how little extra effort it'd take to gather more useful data.

Also, I'm pretty sure I wrote "official scaling" akin to how BrandX does it, which does not equate to "making up their own workout". Yeah, I was more detailed in the prior page's post, but it should be obvious that official means actual numbers one must use to count. For example, instead of 2,000 women (not sure thanks to removal page numbers on the Beta board) with a score of 1 on WOD#3, they could have introduced official scaling of 90 pounds and 65 pounds. Those same ladies still would have been 5337th place or lower, however we would at least have a better breakdown of ability across the board IN ADDITION TO having scores on those ladies that could handle 110# for multiple reps.
I get what you're laying down...I think official scaling would have been cool, there are lots of ladies at my gym who weigh all of 90-110#...that C&J was heavy to them...they already know they don't match up with the girls who can clean that much multiple times...so why not allow scaling so they didn't come into the gym, struggle for one rep, and then leave. Not a bad idea to me...Unsure how that makes everyone a winner, since if you scale you lose...
__________________
My Youtube Channel
CFSD Yelp
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #57
Emily Mattes
Member Emily Mattes is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Baltimore  MD
Posts: 1,015
Re: Overall thoughts on Open wods?

I also think the use of these heavy weights was unfair. 165# is 75kg! That is a REALLY BIG C&J, I'm guessing near the weight needed to qualify for Nationals in USAW, I remember CF did that meet with USAW so USAW was probably helping them pick some pretty challenging weights fo the Games WOD. And 155# DL is no joke either! That would be over a bodyweight DL for any guy who is under 155#!

CF should have done a lot more bodyweight work because not everybody is going to have the massive strength to pick up a barbell. It's not fair and unrealistic. They should be picking more user-friendly events, like skipping or toe-touching, or maybe hugging each other for time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:13 AM   #58
Charles Applin
Member Charles Applin is offline
 
Charles Applin's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Yokosuka 横須賀  Kanagawa 神&#2
Posts: 437
Re: Overall thoughts on Open wods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
I also think the use of these heavy weights was unfair. 165# is 75kg! That is a REALLY BIG C&J, I'm guessing near the weight needed to qualify for Nationals in USAW, I remember CF did that meet with USAW so USAW was probably helping them pick some pretty challenging weights fo the Games WOD. And 155# DL is no joke either! That would be over a bodyweight DL for any guy who is under 155#!

CF should have done a lot more bodyweight work because not everybody is going to have the massive strength to pick up a barbell. It's not fair and unrealistic. They should be picking more user-friendly events, like skipping or toe-touching, or maybe hugging each other for time.
No, 75kg is not near enough to qualify for nationals. However, you are correct that 155# is over the body weight for someone under 155#.

Gotta disagree with your desire for more bodyweight work as it did seem fairly represented in the WODs (DU, Burpee, Box Jumps, Push-ups, Pull-ups, Muscle-ups). Plus, skipping (DU's) and toe-touching (toes to bar) were already included. Not quite sure how hugging each other for time would work, but a fireman carry is bound to be a regional team event which is difficult to test during this online format.

Wait, sorry, were you being sarcastic and actually wanted some form of a pure strength event such as a CFT? Is there some reason that you want to see all members of Westside Barbell on the leader board for a WOD one week? Without some sort of fatiquing event tied into a strength test, you're just going to have specialist dominate the numbers.

It'll be akin to having an 800m swim in which Olympic medalists will dominate that one event. However, an AMRAP of 50m swim, 15 box jumps and 20x KB swings w/ 1.5 pood would knock out the olympians.

[sarcasm]I know, how about one of the WODs be an 10 minute AMRAP of 1 back flip, 5 non-kipping muscle-ups, and non-falling 20 meter hand-walk that way we can see members of a gymnastic team on the leader board. Certainly we can all agree that the fittest people on the planet can all do a back flip, and such a WOD would knock out 14,528 men from the competition in the process.[/sarcasm]
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #59
Aushion Chatman
Affiliate Aushion Chatman is offline
 
Aushion Chatman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 3,342
Re: Overall thoughts on Open wods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
I also think the use of these heavy weights was unfair. 165# is 75kg! That is a REALLY BIG C&J, I'm guessing near the weight needed to qualify for Nationals in USAW, I remember CF did that meet with USAW so USAW was probably helping them pick some pretty challenging weights fo the Games WOD. And 155# DL is no joke either! That would be over a bodyweight DL for any guy who is under 155#!

CF should have done a lot more bodyweight work because not everybody is going to have the massive strength to pick up a barbell. It's not fair and unrealistic. They should be picking more user-friendly events, like skipping or toe-touching, or maybe hugging each other for time.
I understand the humor here...but let's be honest, 165# is a lot of weight for some guys... But this sarcasm seems pretty elitist (which is funny because that's what most folks get on CF for...for being elitist).

In the end, I think the weights chosen were fine...on the light side for a competition to find the world's fittest, yeah I agree. But I can also see that if you wanted it to be inclusive having scaling options is a decent idea.

I agree a heavier WOD would have been good... Not that it would've changed the leader board, but just as a test it is always legit and should be done if you're talking about fittest.

Was it unfair, no...the rules clearly stated that if you did not complete a WOD for whatever reason you are out of contention. I don't feel the need to jump down the throat of anyone who thought it wasn't fair to have WODs that eliminate people, but food for thought if you thought it was unfair:

If you can't do mainsite WODs as rx'd, why would you think you could do the CF Games WODs as rx'd...?
__________________
My Youtube Channel
CFSD Yelp
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:21 AM   #60
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: Overall thoughts on Open wods?

REALLY, anyone who wanted to do the WODs could do them. For free. And, if they wanted to scale, they could scale. You didn't have to pay $10. You could just do the WOD and then look at the leaderboard to see how you compared. Why is that a problem? I mean, I don't understand why you need to pay your $10 in order to feel the CrossFit community love. If you can't do WODs as Rx'd normally, then you probably can't do Open WODs Rx'd. You shouldn't be surprised, and I'm sure that there are plenty of people at your affiliate who will still cheer for you and tell you that you are a winner so that you can sleep at night.

If you make the WODs so that everyone can do them, you have to completely eliminate things like muscle ups, handstand pushups, and double unders...and apparently weights of 165/110 lbs and 145/100 lbs.

You NEED to have some of those things in WODs before Regionals.

The 2010 SC/NC Sectionals did not have MUs or HSPUs or any weights above what is normally Rx'd.

Do you know how many people made it to the Dirty South Regionals who did not have MUs or HSPUs? A LOT. I watched people stare at that wall being used for HSPUs, and I watched people stare at those rings being used for MUs. They all ended up with DNFs. There were people who had a max snatch below what was used in the final WOD, and at least one person had a max clean below what was used in the first WOD. DNFs. At Regionals. I know one person who had a DNF on four of the five WODs. But, that person made it through Sectionals because of the skill sets that were tested there.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for thoughts Nolan Womack Fitness 7 08-21-2010 03:29 PM
just a few thoughts Sean Winkle Community 21 04-09-2009 05:38 PM
Thoughts... Chris Rebmann Nutrition 40 06-13-2008 09:16 AM
For those with "second thoughts" Jason Testimonials 6 10-11-2002 02:20 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.