CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #61
Michael Dowling

Profile:
Re: You must eat this much to play

sadly i cannot squat as much as tamara...

Last edited by Michael Dowling : 03-22-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #62
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
sadly i cannot squat as much as tamara...
Luckily what Tamara squats is part of my warmup. Unfortunately it doesn't get much higher from there (355 max... )
Old 03-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #63
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

OK at the risk of throwing myself to the wolves.....what do you say to someone who has tried upping their calories of clean food (Paleo), works really hard, lifts heavy $hit, sleeps 8+ hrs a night and has only dropped .5-1%BF in 5 months. Just hypothetically?

Editing cus Q's are coming. 34, 5'4" 123. 4-5 metcons, plus strength 2x/week 1RM DL: 225 1RM BS: 170 Fran: 5:15

Last edited by Tricia Magrini : 03-22-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #64
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
OK at the risk of throwing myself to the wolves.....what do you say to someone who has tried upping their calories of clean food (Paleo), works really hard, lifts heavy $hit, sleeps 8+ hrs a night and has only dropped .5-1%BF in 5 months. Just hypothetically?

Editing cus Q's are coming. 34, 5'4" 123. 4-5 metcons, plus strength 2x/week 1RM DL: 225 1RM BS: 170 Fran: 5:15
Since you're almost exactly my size, I would say that your body is telling you that you're at a healthy weight already, and you should listen to it.

Katherine
Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #65
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Quote:

i would say keep up the good work!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #66
Win Featherston

Profile:

Quote:

Cut back on the metcons.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #67
Dane Brunson

Profile:

I've been meaning to ask about this and since it sort of pertains to the topic I'll just ask here.

So I'm trying to lose weight (5'11", ~235) but I'm aware that I need to eat enough to see the performance gains I'm looking for and to just stay healthy in general. My biggest problem though is that I have absolutely no appetite after working out. To the point that sometimes I have trouble getting myself to even force down a meal (which is necessary when I do a WOD before class in the morning). I push myself in workouts but not to the point of throwing up all the time or anything ridiculous like that (just some light nausea every now and then with certain things).

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem or has some advice for what might be causing this? I wouldn't be too concerned except with things like school getting in the way I know I'm not eating as much as I should be even with weight loss as a big goal.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #68
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
The good thing is I'm getting comments about getting bigger/stronger, not fatter, although I'm definitely packing on some fat. That's kindof motivating. But the biggest motivation is finally moving some more weight. Doing 5 reps in the DL with "3 plates a side" felt so darn good last week. No man should ever take this long to be able to move that weight. Of course, considering at a point in 2008 I ate 1500/cals a day (got down to 167) it's no wonder I was underperforming.
Nice. I have some of the same to share.

I began Starting Strength at 5'11 and 172. I had semi decent bodyweight strength from going gymnastic exercises via "Building the Gymnastic Body", but my absolute strength was lacking. My squat is still really low, but that was due to mobility issues, then form issues. It's slowly going back up now. But on all of my other lifts, my beginning max efforts are now either warm ups or working sets; the working sets are the ones scaled back due to form.

Now my weight is up to 192ish, and it's getting noticed at work. One of the other bouncers that used to work there stopped by after I had started the program. His comment to the other bouncers: "What are you feeding that guy?" Another guy, who I've seen every so often, saw me not too long ago. What did he say you ask? "You're buff. You're bigger every time I see you." My response: "Every time you see me I'm lifting more weight." Even the waitresses are noticing. It's nice to hear "You've definitely gotten bigger, in a good way." It made me smile.

Did I put on some fat during the program? Sure did. But no one is talking about how fat I got.

Something to think about to all of y'all, especially guys, that are afraid of putting on a little weight.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #69
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane Brunson View Post
So I'm trying to lose weight (5'11", ~235) but I'm aware that I need to eat enough to see the performance gains I'm looking for and to just stay healthy in general. My biggest problem though is that I have absolutely no appetite after working out. To the point that sometimes I have trouble getting myself to even force down a meal (which is necessary when I do a WOD before class in the morning). I push myself in workouts but not to the point of throwing up all the time or anything ridiculous like that (just some light nausea every now and then with certain things).

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem or has some advice for what might be causing this? I wouldn't be too concerned except with things like school getting in the way I know I'm not eating as much as I should be even with weight loss as a big goal.
You could experiment a bit and see what you can tolerate. Maybe fruit is okay but heavier stuff like eggs isn't? Maybe a protein shake or a fruit smoothie with protein mixed in? But the big thing would be to make sure you're eating enough the rest of the day. If you're fine 30 minutes after a workout, but that falls in the middle of a class, then take your protein shake or whatever to class with you. (Beverages are generally less obtrusive than anything that requires chewing, but let local standards be your guide.)

There are lots of threads about making sure you're able to eat right while still keeping a demanding schedule. Read some of the ideas and see what works for you.

Katherine
Old 03-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #70
Dane Brunson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
You could experiment a bit and see what you can tolerate. Maybe fruit is okay but heavier stuff like eggs isn't? Maybe a protein shake or a fruit smoothie with protein mixed in? But the big thing would be to make sure you're eating enough the rest of the day. If you're fine 30 minutes after a workout, but that falls in the middle of a class, then take your protein shake or whatever to class with you. (Beverages are generally less obtrusive than anything that requires chewing, but let local standards be your guide.)

There are lots of threads about making sure you're able to eat right while still keeping a demanding schedule. Read some of the ideas and see what works for you.

Katherine
Thinking about it fruit has been a little easier for me to eat than heavier foods. Eating something during class is possible except when I'm in lab.

I've started reading what I can and I'm going to talk to the nutritionist that works with the box I go to. I'm just trying to figure out if it's indicative of something else that it can sometimes be hours after working out before I have any desire to eat.

That article about Tracy Anderson's program is almost unbelievable. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if someone ended up in the hospital from following her "diet". It's just dangerous.