CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Evan Peikon

Profile:
Tired after meal... solutions?

My current diet consists of the following.
Post workout shake and
Three meals consisting of:
12oz (3/4 lb) meat (ex- beef, bison, turkey, venison etc).
large sweet potato (think 12-ish oz)
large salad w/ grilled vegetables

with this diet my recovery is great, strength gains have been great, I've put on 30 lbs since last june and perform fantastically. That being said though i seem to get an energy crash after every meal. Ill literally have 100% full energy, then eat, and can barely keep my eyes open. I don't think i need more food because the aforementioned reasons, so i wanted to know if there are better ways to organize my meals or if what I'm experiencing is normal. Ive read about carb backloading (all your carbs at dinner) which would probably fix the problem but i do like have my meals balanced and it has worked for me. Also I'm hesitant to believe that consuming the same macros/calories but just spacing them differently would make a large difference. Any thought would be appreciated
Old 05-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: Tired after meal... solutions?

Here's what I do - lots small-medium sized meals throughout the day except for my post-WOD meal (that is quite large). I also get about 20oz coffee in the morning after WOD too, so that definitely helps. I've read/heard a lot about making your largest meal of the day the first after you workout then decreasing the size until your next workout. One, you never go into a workout on a full-stomach and two, you get to stuff you face right after you workout.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
Here's what I do - lots small-medium sized meals throughout the day except for my post-WOD meal (that is quite large). I also get about 20oz coffee in the morning after WOD too, so that definitely helps. I've read/heard a lot about making your largest meal of the day the first after you workout then decreasing the size until your next workout. One, you never go into a workout on a full-stomach and two, you get to stuff you face right after you workout.
I can't really digest many small/ medium meals throughout the day, so i have to get my nutrition in via 3 larger meals. And i always train on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. For convienvnce, and because i get nauseous if i have food/ I'm stronger in the morning
Old 05-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

what about sleep?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

How much fat are you getting?

I'm thinking the sweet potato may be causing an insulin spike, leading to an energy crash later on. Sweet potatoes are relatively low on the glycemic index scale, but 12 oz is still a lot at once. Fat can help smooth out such spikes.

On the other hand, it's pretty normal to be sleepy after a big meal. Your system is busy digesting stuff and doesn't want you moving around.

Katherine
Old 05-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
what about sleep?
I get a solid 8-8.5 hours a night. Sometimes 9 if I can get to bed earlier on a given day. But never less that 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
How much fat are you getting?

I'm thinking the sweet potato may be causing an insulin spike, leading to an energy crash later on. Sweet potatoes are relatively low on the glycemic index scale, but 12 oz is still a lot at once. Fat can help smooth out such spikes.

On the other hand, it's pretty normal to be sleepy after a big meal. Your system is busy digesting stuff and doesn't want you moving around.

Katherine
Probably in the vicinity of 30-35g a meal so figure about 100g per day. I get all my fats via eggs, beef, fattier cuts of meat etc. I can't stand oils or the liked on my food. And Katherine, is it possible that it can be caused my growing or something like that? Because my diets been like this for awhile without this issue, and i remember a few years back this would happen when i was hitting growth spurts. I am 18 so i though this could be possible...
Old 05-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Sure, could be growth spurts, could be that you just plain need more sleep for whatever reason. You could try adding an hour or two per night and see if that helps.

Katherine
Old 05-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

I don't want to be the one to do this...but how about some coffee!
Old 05-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Sure, could be growth spurts, could be that you just plain need more sleep for whatever reason. You could try adding an hour or two per night and see if that helps.

Katherine
Im hoping its growth spurts. Ill try adding going to bed a bit earlier a few days and see how it goes, but idk how long i can keep that up since i already go to bed at 10pm and am pretty busy so i can't wake up later than 6am.

Quote:
I don't want to be the one to do this...but how about some coffee!
I do drink coffee a few days a week, but mainly for the taste. I don't want to get dependent on it. I also like to keep my caffeine tolerance low, that way when i know i have a benchmark or competition i can take some caffeine and get a real boost in energy/ performance.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
I do drink coffee a few days a week, but mainly for the taste. I don't want to get dependent on it. I also like to keep my caffeine tolerance low, that way when i know i have a benchmark or competition i can take some caffeine and get a real boost in energy/ performance.
That's a bad idea. Caffeine intake is known to cause problems when you don't take it regularly. In general, you never want to change anything that you usually do for a competition/exam.