CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:
Only Body-weight Workouts

So, I'm moving at the end of the month to Colorado. I've been doing CrossFit since the beginning of June an can feel myself making steady progress.

When I move, my primary funds will come from the GI Bill, as I will be attending school. The thing is, it usually takes a while for it to kick in. Which means I won't be able to join an affiliate for a while.

My question is: Will only doing body-weight workouts help me with my progress as oppose to the other workouts that involve weights?

My friend, who is an affiliate, says they are great for staying in shape until I'm able to join an affiliate or obtain some equipment. I don't doubt his knowledge on this subject, I'm just wondering if anyone has actually done this. I know that gymnasts primarily do body-weight exercises, but I'm not a gymnast. Rings are not my friend.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Only Body-weight Workouts

There are other places to train with weights other than an affiliate.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Patrick Hoolboom

Profile:

There are plenty of cheap ways to add a little resistance to home based workouts. You can make homemade medicine balls, bulgarian bags, etc. Just get creative.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

My experience's with body weight only workouts is that its not very hard to atleast maintain barbell strength or build on it, except maybe in the squat (IE if your already squatting near 300 you probably wont improve it with just sls or even weighted sls). Check out "the fundamentals of bodyweight strength training" on eatmoveimprove.com (WFS). The only problem is coming up with a hybrid program that allows for metcon and strength developement. None exist as far as I know.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Jamie. It is my impression that most typical gym frown upon people doing Olympic lifts and other such CrossFit barbell exercises; though it may be trial and error.

Patrick. I had to look up just what a Bulgarian bag was. It looks like a giant boomerang, and I am unsure of how to use it. I do, however, like the idea of homemade equipment.

Gracias y'all.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I've yet to go to gym that didn't allow barbell excersizes. As long as you don't drop your O-lifts, your'll be fine. I worked up to a 205 5x3 PC with metal plates.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Thanks for the link. Those exercises are something I would definitely have to work up to, because it ain't happening now.

And Jamie, I take it it would be better to do manageable weight that's still tough, rather than trying to do a max with anything above my head.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

I've never been to Colorado but I'm pretty sure they have rocks there. Big rocks. Heavy rocks.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
And Jamie, I take it it would be better to do manageable weight that's still tough, rather than trying to do a max with anything above my head.
Depends on whether or not you're trying to figure out what your max is overhead....

Mark
Old 07-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
Thanks for the link. Those exercises are something I would definitely have to work up to, because it ain't happening now.

The routine at eatmoveimprove.com (wfs) might just say "60 seconds of planche/front lever/back lever" but what it really means is do whatever progression your capable of. Tuck, advanced tuck, straddle etc. Building the gymnastic body is a good book for learning the progressions.