CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
Joseph Nichols

Profile:
Why am I considered underweight?

I'm 6 ft., 175 lbs.

Been doing crossfit for 1 month, now:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...316#post780316
I have seen no increase in weight, though, a marked amount of results;
I'm up to 4 muscle-ups, 26 deadhang pullups, and I've kept my 5k sub-19mins.
Judging by my log, I'm obviously not the strongest guy in the world.
Goals aside, why would I be advised to gain weight when I would suffer in other areas?
Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Why am I considered underweight?

Assuming the gain was muscle, not fat, you'd be stronger. That would increase your ability to move things other than your own bodyweight. Bodyweight exercises would obviously require you to move more weight, but some of that would be offset by your increased strength. There's a point of diminishing returns, so the ideal balance depends on your goals (and your genes).

More muscle would also make you more durable, in the sense of being able to withstand physical abuse. That obviously matters more in some sports and professions than in others.

If you are attempting to gain weight and haven't, eat more.

Katherine
Old 06-12-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

Good answer, Katherine.

Joseph, ultimately you are under-strong, more than under-weight. The weight just gets drawn into it because we all know that the easiest ways to improve your strength all involve adding muscular body weight. I'm 5' 11'' tall and I went from about 165# body weight with a 230# squat when I started doing CF to ~195# and a 345# backsquat and yes, I do run slower now, but every task involving an outside load is ridiculously easier. In CF parlance, my work capacity in every time domain while working with external loads is significantly higher.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Joe, Katherine is spot on. You are underweight if your weight becomes the barrier to meeting a goal. I'll use myself as an example. In order for me to get stronger at age 50 there is simply no way I can do so unless I add muscle mass...weight. But my goals go beyond simply fitness, even fitness as CF defines it.

It turns out that I am healthiest, with a good balance of fitness, traditional metrics like low cholesterol, at around 153, 14% BW fat. So I compromise on the strength gains I would otherwise achieve.

Are you underweight? Dunno...are you?

Welcome aboard. Fasten your seatbelt.

--bingo
Old 06-12-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
Brock Wilson

Profile:

Hey Joe: Without checking out your workout log, I'm wondering if you spend too much time/energy in the endurance end of the spectrum. Your 5k time is pretty fast (REALLY fast compared to mine), and too much effort to preserve it may be getting in the way of gaining bodyweight.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:34 AM   #6
Joseph Nichols

Profile:

Well, I don't really think I've been focusing on endurance. I follow my affiliates programming, and it's strength-short metcon oriented, I think... I crossfit a minimum of four days a week, with adequate rest.

I've seen gains already in my strength, but none in weight. I am eating a lot, too!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

To echo what everyone else has said, it depends what your goals are. I'm 6' tall and about a year and a half ago I weighted 172lbs and was weak. I could run around 18:30 for 3 miles and do a lot of pullups and air squats in a hurry but that was about it. Right now I'm around 205lbs and a lot less weak--not strong by any stretch, but my squat and deadlift are up about 100lbs compared to when I was skinny, my press and bench press and squat clean are up 30-40lbs or so, and I'm faster on almost all metcons because I can move weight easier. And my 3 mile time is still in the 18:40-19:00 range depending on how I feel that day, so getting bigger doesn't necessarily mean getting a lot slower.

If you can't gain weight it just means you're not eating enough Sunbutter, meat, and eggs, or drinking enough whole milk, coconut milk, and olive oil.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Eric, or anyone else, on the topic of whole milk. I've considered myself unable to handle regular whole milk as I started out doing full GOMAD when I did my first SS cycle. Would it be beneficial to me to try it again, starting out at perhaps a glass a day and slowly increase the volume? Or am I just screwed in that regard? Full GOMAD wreaked havoc on my bowels but I've never tried smaller amounts of non-lactose free whole milk.

Gaining weight without the calories from whole milk, for me, is out of the question.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
Joseph Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
To echo what everyone else has said, it depends what your goals are. I'm 6' tall and about a year and a half ago I weighted 172lbs and was weak. I could run around 18:30 for 3 miles and do a lot of pullups and air squats in a hurry but that was about it. Right now I'm around 205lbs and a lot less weak--not strong by any stretch, but my squat and deadlift are up about 100lbs compared to when I was skinny, my press and bench press and squat clean are up 30-40lbs or so, and I'm faster on almost all metcons because I can move weight easier. And my 3 mile time is still in the 18:40-19:00 range depending on how I feel that day, so getting bigger doesn't necessarily mean getting a lot slower.

If you can't gain weight it just means you're not eating enough Sunbutter, meat, and eggs, or drinking enough whole milk, coconut milk, and olive oil.
Eric, you give skinny guys like me hope. I, too, can do a lot of pullups and run fast. My 400's are sweet. I actually just had 4 eggs, 3 slices of bacon, and 2 glasses of whole milk, along with some blueberrys. That's a typical breakfast - is that really not enough to sustain weight gain and wods? My lunches and dinners are even larger. I also snack, healthily.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Nichols View Post
Eric, you give skinny guys like me hope. I, too, can do a lot of pullups and run fast. My 400's are sweet. I actually just had 4 eggs, 3 slices of bacon, and 2 glasses of whole milk, along with some blueberrys. That's a typical breakfast - is that really not enough to sustain weight gain and wods? My lunches and dinners are even larger. I also snack, healthily.
When I was gaining weight, I ate 8 eggs, 6 slices of bacon, 2 glasses of whole milk, a piece of fruit and a handful of almonds for breakfast.