CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
Departed1

Profile:

Help getting wife on board

I know this has been discussed on here before, but couldn't find the old topic. How do I get my wife involved in a healthier lifestyle? To give you a little back ground, she is one of those people that can set on the couch and eat little kid junk food all day and not get fat.

I love working out, and want to eat heatlhier, but it's hard to do when she is making food that smells so good and sounds so good. So my first question is, how do i convince her that WE need to eat healtier? She complains that me trying to watch what i eat is annoying and makes her feel worthless, which isn't my goal, but I do want to eat better and would like to get her on board with it.

The next question is, how do i get her to workout with me? I think she would love crossfit if i could ever get her started on it (she's a pretty competitive person), but am not sure about how to get her to do it without sounding like a jerk. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
Departed1

Profile:

Re: Help getting wife on board

Forgot to mention that it's not like she doesn't look good, she does. Didn't want to make it sound like i was being a jerk and trying to make her change her looks
Old 05-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
James Rollo

Profile:

Is her food really all that unhealthy? If she is actually cooking then thats leaps and bounds above most diets. A good option is to try and do the cooking yourself, making delicious healthy meals. Don't get the notion that all you can eat is salad and grilled chicken. Presentation will also keep the "Ugh, healthy food" comments to a minimum.

As for getting her to do crossfit, just consistently ask "I'm going to the gym, wanna come?" If it is a no, then "Okay, I'll be back in an hour" if it's a yes then congratulations. It sounds like you want her to do crossfit because you want to spend more time with her, make sure she knows that is why you want her to do it.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"Didn't want to make it sound like i was being a jerk and trying to make her change her looks"

I don;t see how that makes you a jerk. Who wants to be married to an ugly person?

For diet, I believe with the above and that it's hard to eat healthy when there are many other option in the house. You can also use that.
"Honey, I really want to do this, but it's very hard when this other stuff is in the house. WHat can we do to work this out?"

Performance menu has some REALLY good recipes. CHeck them out.

I convinced a girl to workout because it would be hard for me to tickle her if she was stronger.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

Find an activity you can do together. You may need to compromise. It could be rock climbing or ballroom dancing, whatever. That will get her interested in being active.
Take an active vacation. Maybe one where you need to hike or ski.
Offer to be her personal trainer. Be very positive. Create a routine for her and help her. Reassure her that she looks great but this will help her feel better.
Offer to cook and make tasty healthy meals. Do not offer her a chicken breast, six walnuts and a head of kale on a plate and except her to be impressed. Take similar ingredients and turn it into a meal.
Cook extra vegetable for yourself and have them with smaller potion of your meal. Lead by example.
Express concern for her long term health. You want to spend a long time with her. A little fitness and less sugar will help.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Andy Gann

Profile:

Rent and watch 'Food, Inc'.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
Scott A Martin

Profile:

One thing that can help is signing up for a 5k or something similar. Do it with a bunch of friends and make it about having fun, so that she agrees and wants to do it. Then start a nice easy training program together, very slowly upping the intensity.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
Brian Bedell

Profile:

You can only lead by example in this situation. Invite her to exercise with you, but not wod'ing. Try walking, hiking, bike riding, kayaking, etc. first. IMO.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Rader View Post
She complains that me trying to watch what i eat is annoying...
It's weird that most of society chastise you for things like smoking and drinking, and will encourage you to stop. Yet, everyone is so annoyed by people that try to eat healthy.

Anyway, sounds like you are married to my wife. Even the part about thinking she would like Crossfit if she gave it a try, due to her competitive nature.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for you. I've found I just have to let her do her thing. I did get her into swinging a kettlebell and getting on the rower. Other than that, she just loves her exercise videos.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Who wants to be married to an ugly person?
My wife. 20 years now.