CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
Jason Denny

Profile:
Hand tears from pull-ups.

Ok, I have searched the forums to little avail. Most of the time, my hands are fine. However, this week we did Eva and tore the snot out of my hands. Mostly below the calluses. I shave them down and that usually does the trick but this time at pull-up #140...the rt hand tore. On the last pull-up, the left tore. I tried gloves but they are worthless to me, I slip off. I chalk up well and that to usually helps. I tried using my fingers more but I lose my grip easier, I seem to need to grip the bar more with my palm. I have seen a pic of a guy doing pull-ups with what looked like cloth between his hands and the bar. Like I said, most WOD pull-ups are ok. It is the evil ones that tear me up. Any suggestions?
Old 03-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Ryan DeBell

Profile:
Re: Hand tears from pull-ups.

your hands can only put up with so much abuse. 150 2 pood swings and 150 pull ups will rip anybodys hands.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

You can make tape grips...

Otherwise, you just have to learn when to stop so that your hands don't rip. Rips are injuries that hinder your workouts so why push through a workout to get rips when it's not going to be beneficial for the next couple.

That always baffles me... people are so set on finishing a workout that they sacrifice their hands. OK during competition I would say go for it, but if you continually do it during daily workouts that's a huge problem and will significantly negatively affect your S&C.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Are you keeping your calluses filed/shaved down?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Jason Denny

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
Are you keeping your calluses filed/shaved down?
Yeah, I use my wife's Ped Egg. It actually works pretty well. We used to have tape on the bars but found that it made the tearing worse. Now it is just bare bars with lots of chalk. Usually there are no problems, but on the heavy pull-up WODs, we get lots of tears.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
Casey Raiford

Profile:

We candy cane our bars in my box, about a one inch stripe of tape with bare metal in between. Grip helps, and proper callus filing is a huge factor. I've got one of those German callus shaving things you find in drug store foot care aisles. I use it regularly, like every other day, right after showering. It leaves a concave callus once the skin dries and is like magic.

I've use PedEggs, cheese graters, pumice stones and dremel tools. Nothing works like that callus planer thing. That being said, I still rip one very now and then. There are a lot of remedies when that happens. I've used them all and the that works best for me is a simple bandaid and a shot of neosporin twice a day. I'm back in the game after three days tops with that approach.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
Jason Denny

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
We candy cane our bars in my box, about a one inch stripe of tape with bare metal in between. Grip helps, and proper callus filing is a huge factor. I've got one of those German callus shaving things you find in drug store foot care aisles. I use it regularly, like every other day, right after showering. It leaves a concave callus once the skin dries and is like magic.

I've use PedEggs, cheese graters, pumice stones and dremel tools. Nothing works like that callus planer thing. That being said, I still rip one very now and then. There are a lot of remedies when that happens. I've used them all and the that works best for me is a simple bandaid and a shot of neosporin twice a day. I'm back in the game after three days tops with that approach.

Hope that helps.
It does, I appreciate all the insite.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
Alexis Olson

Profile:

Like Steven Low said, you can make tape grips, which should help some.

If it's a serious problem for you and you have a few extra bucks, you could buy yourself a pair of leather gymnastics bar grips (~$30). Those will protect your hands quite a bit and help you stay on the bar at the same time.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
Ian Nigh

Profile:

once a rip does happen, i super glue the skin back on (provided it is still partially attached).
This allows me to go on training as normal and the hand heals alot quicker. The dead skin falls off after 10 days or so and no pain endured (except when applying the supa glue, man, THAT hurts!!)
Old 04-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
Alexis Olson

Profile:

I was just thinking that instead of buying new grips, if there is a gymnastics gym nearby, you might be able to get some old grips that are too worn out to swing high bar on but still have plenty of wear left in them. I know I've got at least one old pair still lying around that got too stretched out for me to swing safely, but would still be useful for pull ups.