CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
John Poulos

Profile:
Crossfit Name

I hope someone can help me out with this. I want to open an affiliate, but i want to get a market analysis of the area that i want to be in before i apply and decide on a name. The business school near by does student projects that include market analysis, business plans, etc. They want to know the name of the business that they are going to do the analysis for. So, my question is can i use the proposed affiliate name even without having an affiliate for this project since nothing is official. Thanks in advance.
John
Old 01-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Poulos View Post
I hope someone can help me out with this. I want to open an affiliate, but i want to get a market analysis of the area that i want to be in before i apply and decide on a name. The business school near by does student projects that include market analysis, business plans, etc. They want to know the name of the business that they are going to do the analysis for. So, my question is can i use the proposed affiliate name even without having an affiliate for this project since nothing is official. Thanks in advance.
John
Yes. If you really plan to open, and just looking for the best space, you can still do all your IRS stuff(LLC, Corp, etc), choosing a legal name now, and create DBA(doing business as) name after you find your location.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
John Poulos

Profile:

Thanks Brian. I just want to make sure i can do this part without ruffling any feathers at CF HQ. Using the CF name and such.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Poulos View Post
Thanks Brian. I just want to make sure i can do this part without ruffling any feathers at CF HQ. Using the CF name and such.

I'd check with then, but that's like saying I can't name my dog Target, since that name is trademarked. That being said, better safe than sorry.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Paul Szoldra

Profile:

You could always tell them it's "B Fitness" or "Hardcore Fitness by Brian", etc.