CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
Christopher H Smith

Profile:
One month in

Well Saturday was a full month of WOD's for me(about 3x a week). I have noticed considerable improvement is several areas.

Saturday was my first repeat workout. Fight Gone Bad. The first WOD I ever did was this one and I thought I was going to die. I could not even manage to keep count of my total reps.

However this time I did and managed a 257 total. Pretty good I think since I probably did not complete 200 the first time. The other thing was whan I first did FGB the box jumps kicked my ***. By the 3rd round I could barely manage the 6 in. box for just a few reps. This time I was steady with 20 reps per on the 16" box.

The other thing that has increased dramaticlly is my sit up capacity and now I am also doing most workouts at Rx weights.

The big bragging point for me however was the 1:26 500m row (a 4 sec. improvement) I pulled. I row on a C2 regular at home and getting motivated for a big push while rowing at home is tough. However when you are the box with someone to push you it brings it to a whole new level.

I have really enjoyed the new challenges that crossfit brings and I find I actually get butterflys in anticipation of a workout.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Justin McGinley

Profile:
Re: One month in

That's great.

Huge improvement on FGB. Considering you scaled the jumps before, you gain was even better than the numbers demonstrated. Keep it up!
Old 10-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
Andre Urquiza

Profile:

Congrats on the improvement! Keep on challenging yourself and you'll continue to improve by leaps and bounds!
Old 10-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Christopher H Smith

Profile:

Today I pushed hard by doing a double WOD. Made up for the one I missed on thursday. First time I have completed 5 WOD in a week. I was suprised that my performance on the 2nd one was almost as strong as my first. I only scaled back on the kettle bell swings.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
Christopher H Smith

Profile:

I still do not fell worthly of wearing the shirt yet though
Old 10-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Tim Crane

Profile:

If you sweat profusely, and your breath is labored, you are worthy.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:16 AM   #7
Christopher H Smith

Profile:

I have made the sweat angel
Old 01-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
Tim Crane

Profile:

Chris,

Its been over a year now, just curious how your training is going? Hopefully your doing well, and enjoying the many benefits that CF training brings.

Tim
Old 01-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Christopher H Smith

Profile:

Wow Tim it seems like this post is a blast from the past. I have manage to stay very committed to Crossfit since those posts. Usually 3-4 times a week. I love the group there. I recently held a rowing clinic at my box since that is my strongest exercise and I have rowed at a couple of indoor competition in masters class and done well. Still have not gotten off the band for pull-ups but I am getting very close. Don't think I will be giving up Crossfit any time soon. Also managed to lose about 50# in the process. But put about 20 of that back on over the summer when I hit a motivation slump. But the last 3 months have been awesome and I dropped 10 of those pounds.

Thanks for checking. It seems like you see a lot of newbie posts and then they just disappear. Just want to let you know I have stuck with it.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
Tim Crane

Profile:

Chris,

Losing 50#ís is no small feat. Congratulations! It does seem like CrossFit has many starters, but few finishers. Thatís great youíre sticking with it! Below is an article I wrote to help others stay motivated. Most of the people I train with are Christians, so for us, the scriptures also assist us in keeping fit. Youíre welcome to use it however you like, and or modify it however you wish.

Quote:
How to stay motivated to exercise
Think back to a previous training experience. Remember how you felt after a good workout; that feeling of being relaxed, that sense of peace, well being, and accomplishment that followed your last workout. In case youíre wondering, your hormones (dopamine and serotonin, among others) get released after exercise. These hormones are responsible for making you feel really good after exercising. Focusing on these past good feelings will help motivate you to exercise again.

Once you prepare your mind for exercise, the body will follow. Once you begin, all the excuses for not exercising are defeated. You instantly feel good that you did not miss your workout. As you exercise your mind to make your body obey, you will become better at motivating yourself to do the things that are good for you.

Itís why Christ tells us to keep our eyes on Him when we face difficulties here in this life. When we, in the middle of our tribulations, take our mind off of ourselves and place our thoughts upon the savior and His reward for those who endure hardships, we press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us. - Read Philippians 3:14

Another tip when youíre physically too tired to exercise is taking a nap before your workout. This will let your mind and body rest. After a hard dayís work, taking a nap is the best thing you can do for yourself. When you wake up, you will feel refreshed and a lot more motivated to train. Be sure to set the alarm so you donít sleep any longer then three hours. Also experiment with the length of the nap. Sometimes I feel more tired if I sleep too long, so adjust the time of the nap accordingly. It may be that a 30 minute nap is all you need.