CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Stas Gorbis

Profile:
Started Yesterday. Love it.

Hey everyone!

I started reading about CF for about a couple of days and knew that I had to give it a try. I thought that I was in pretty good shape, but after my first WOD from CF Santa Clara since yesterday was a rest day, I found out otherwise. The work out was:
500 Meter Row
50 Jumping Squats
400 Meter Run
50 Jumping Squats
100 Double Unders.

I didn't even bother timing myself since I got destroyed by the squats with just the bar on. Today my legs are fatigued quite a bit. I haven't joined an affiliate yet since I can do the exercises myself and want to try it out. I am currently 6'0" and 188lbs at around 13% BF. As far as diet is concerned, I do not follow a strict diet, but eat clean with good proportions. I want to lean up a bit but maintain the muscle.

A couple of questions..

I will try to scale the WODs that I know I wont be able to complete. I was wondering how the strength gains are? Will I see myself getting stronger pretty quickly?

Also, I spoke to a couple of critics which told me that due to the high intensity, I will start to just get skinny and lose a good amount of muscle mass. Just wanted to know if that was correct.

I look forward to sticking to CF and hopefully just develop the endurance and stamina that I never had from conventional heavy lifting that I did at the gym. If you have any tips, let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Ted Apollo

Profile:
Re: Started Yesterday. Love it.

welcome aboard!

as far as diet is concerned the crossfit community is big on the paleo diet and zone diet. look them up.

you should definitely scale until you get the movements down. take your time and make sure you have proper form to avoid injuries. deadlifting for time can be brutal with bad technique.

as far as the critics there is an element of truth in what they say. if you already have a body building background you will tend to lose some size in the upper body while gaining in the legs. the reason for this is that the crossfit program is based on functional movements. body builders put on a lot of muscle mass that is not functional (ie... it won't help you move mass over a certain period of time). what you will see is your body getting stronger, leaner, and better prepared to handle a variety of different obstacles. crossfit focuses on more the just strength, power, cardio, and stamina. they also work on balance, precision, and coordination.

i wouldn't call it getting skinny since you are getting stronger and losing fat. i would call that cutting up. look at the testimonial threads on the forum to see the results some of these guys have gotten.

the best part of crossfit is that you can log all your workouts and track your progress. its great when you come back to a particular wod that you did a month or so ago and knock a minute or two off your time. those are undeniable results. crossfit is not just about looking better, but actually being better.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stas Gorbis View Post
Hey everyone!

I started reading about CF for about a couple of days and knew that I had to give it a try. I thought that I was in pretty good shape, but after my first WOD from CF Santa Clara since yesterday was a rest day, I found out otherwise. The work out was:
500 Meter Row
50 Jumping Squats
400 Meter Run
50 Jumping Squats
100 Double Unders.

I didn't even bother timing myself since I got destroyed by the squats with just the bar on. Today my legs are fatigued quite a bit. I haven't joined an affiliate yet since I can do the exercises myself and want to try it out. I am currently 6'0" and 188lbs at around 13% BF. As far as diet is concerned, I do not follow a strict diet, but eat clean with good proportions. I want to lean up a bit but maintain the muscle.

A couple of questions..

I will try to scale the WODs that I know I wont be able to complete. I was wondering how the strength gains are? Will I see myself getting stronger pretty quickly?

Also, I spoke to a couple of critics which told me that due to the high intensity, I will start to just get skinny and lose a good amount of muscle mass. Just wanted to know if that was correct.

I look forward to sticking to CF and hopefully just develop the endurance and stamina that I never had from conventional heavy lifting that I did at the gym. If you have any tips, let me know. Thanks in advance.
Welcome!

Getting strong quicker depends on where you are in the novice/intermediate/advanced stages of weight training. Basically the more novice you are, the faster the strength gains.

Intensity doesn't cause muscle mass loss. I suppose that if you have a lot of size from doing traditional BB 12 rep hypertrophy sets, you might lose some of that "mass". You will get leaner if you control your diet, but you will not lose muscle that matters. In fact, you will probably grow some muscles that never mattered in your old program.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Stas Gorbis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post

the best part of crossfit is that you can log all your workouts and track your progress. its great when you come back to a particular wod that you did a month or so ago and knock a minute or two off your time. those are undeniable results. crossfit is not just about looking better, but actually being better.
Thanks for the help everyone.

About the logging. I know that I can just keep track in a notebook or make random excel files.

I was wondering if there are some preferred or more organized ways to keep track of everything?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:

I didn't even bother timing myself since I got destroyed by the squats with just the bar on.
Unless otherwise specified, squats are bodyweight. No wonder those hurt you so bad.

For tracking results, I use Beyond the Whiteboard (WFS). It's a really good resource. LogsItAll (WFS) is also pretty popular among CFers.

If you don't have any solid knowledge on diet, check out the Nutrition board for threads about Paleo and Zone. How much muscle mass you gain or lose will depend mostly on how much you eat. CF doesn't put any importance on beach muscles or big muscles at all, except if they directly increase your ability to move weights. That's why you won't see us wasting time on isolation movements. Working out for strength gain and working out for hypertrophy generally use different rep schemes and different exercises. You can lean out and still gain strength and size on CF if you eat enough, especially if you do a CFFB or CFSB-type program once you get a little experience with vanilla CF.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Stas Gorbis

Profile:

Thanks for the logging help.

I will definitely do more research on diet. Ive looked at the general Paleo and Zone diets. I think I am more interested with Paleo because I am not really into the whole counting everything you eat.

I want to do today WOD, but have never done hang power snatch. I will for sure try just a bar without weight first, but is the intent to just go up in weight every set until I cant?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for the logging help.

I will definitely do more research on diet. Ive looked at the general Paleo and Zone diets. I think I am more interested with Paleo because I am not really into the whole counting everything you eat.

I want to do today WOD, but have never done hang power snatch. I will for sure try just a bar without weight first, but is the intent to just go up in weight every set until I cant?
Yes that's the intent of today's WOD, but it assumes you have the hang power snatch form down pat. If you are starting from no experience with the exercise, read about it, practice it, maybe practice the motion with very light weight, but do something else for your WOD. Attempting a 1 rep max on your first day of learning an exercise is a fantastic way to hurt yourself.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
Stas Gorbis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Bauersfeld View Post
Yes that's the intent of today's WOD, but it assumes you have the hang power snatch form down pat. If you are starting from no experience with the exercise, read about it, practice it, maybe practice the motion with very light weight, but do something else for your WOD. Attempting a 1 rep max on your first day of learning an exercise is a fantastic way to hurt yourself.
You are definitely correct about hurting myself. I will just go in to practice the exercise today and do another WOD. What is a good WOD to do for someone just starting out?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

Quote:
You are definitely correct about hurting myself. I will just go in to practice the exercise today and do another WOD. What is a good WOD to do for someone just starting out?
Cindy. Scale if necessary.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
Ted Apollo

Profile:

there are two other options for logging.

1) you can start a log right here on the message boards under the workout log forum. its nice cuz you can get feedback from other xfitters.

2) you can use blogspot.com (i use this). its free and it allows you to customize a little more.

every workout should include a warm up, practice of skill work (snatch, clean, L-sits, etc....), a WOD, and a cool down.

check out the burgener warm up in the exerecise demo section. that is a good start for the snatch.

something else that is important to crossfit that people forget is to participate in a sport. the coaches really promote this, but sometimes it isn't as stated as the other aspects of crossfit.