CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
David Hagerty

Profile:
# of Blocks

Hi everyone,
I'm reading the zone right now. The last couple of weeks have been frustrating for me athletically, mostly out of my own stupidity. I am currently nursing Achilles tendinitis, so I haven't been doing the run sections instead I've been subbing with rowing, but overall I just don't feel great. My diet prior to about a month ago consisted of a lot of grains, and I have cut them out. Specifically my stats are 5'11'' 160lbs. My waist is around 30-31 inches and my wrist diameter is like 7'. This calculated using the zone gives me like 8%BF. I don't know how accurate that is, but that's what the site said.

As far as my goals are concerned my #1 goal is to go into the SF teams ( Naval SF). I started CF around August 2008. My diet was cleaner per se. I just didn't eat as much s***. As far as programming I followed the Main site and CFE, as well as an extra swim or two per week.

I talked to Pat Sherwood, great guy, let me call him at home, and as far as preparation he regarded BUD/s as being 90 % mental, further anything that you do between now and then would be a plus.

So as far as nutrition is concerned I want to start the zone. I think that I will switch up my programming, and probably go with the Navyseals.com WODs + some bodyweight workouts (maybe a little extra running) + swimming 2 times per week for about an hour.

As far as blocks are concerned I have calculated it multiple places and it ranges between 19-22. I would not mind putting on some muscle but I was just looking for some advice regarding my overall blocks per day in combination for the work I want to be able to do. Should I be leaning towards eating more. I understand I need to continue to read/experiment and see what works for me, but just looking for some advice.

I am a sophomore in college and I don't think that I will be jumping ship for the navy right now but I figure two good years of prep(without killing myself) couldn't hurt. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: # of Blocks

Read CFJ 15 and 21 and go to Rob Wolf's site and read his FAQ and the links regarding zone especially.

Good luck.

But if you are 5'11 160lbs I recommend eating everything in sight, not measuring your food.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
David Hagerty

Profile:

Haha, Thanks Brian I will definitely read those. Really eat anything in sight? Diet is very confusing for me and I'm trying to get the bare bones of it best I can (kind of overwhelmed). Starting Crossfit I was probably too aesthetically driven, as for now I really only care about performance which will bring on the aesthetics, and prepping for SF training.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Well, then start with the basics when it comes to diet, very simple. Do this: Eat meat and veggies, nuts and seeds, lil' starch, some fruit, no sugar.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Well, then start with the basics when it comes to diet, very simple. Do this: Eat meat and veggies, nuts and seeds, lil' starch, some fruit, no sugar.
I'm also a sophomore in college David and I've been doing paleo since october of freshman year. Let me tell you, zoning in college is nearly impossible (unless you have your own kitchen, which I don't). The food choices are limited enough as it is for healthy stuff, just do paleo and you will be fine.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
David Hagerty

Profile:

Fortunately I do have my own kitchen for now. I bought Paleo for athletes so I am going to read that as well and see how that works out.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hagerty View Post
Fortunately I do have my own kitchen for now. I bought Paleo for athletes so I am going to read that as well and see how that works out.
Well you are in luck then...and I envy you. Having to eat college food is , heh.