CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
Jason Torres

Profile:
MMA fighter looking for help...

I converted from body-building and power-lifting to MMA fightiong. I kept training as I did for bbing and pwling leading to my first cage fight (I did win 48 seconds) but the issue is the power I have in the gym only changed over when I slammed the guy. I had really no functional strength nor flexibilty.

I want to have pure body strength/muscle flexabilty(I am going to yoga three times a week)...what I mean..My instructor only squats and dead lifts the rest is just from rolling on the mat. I want to begin Tabata training but I do not know how to put it all together so that I can acheive my goals.

I have my next fight in 8 weeks and I want to follow CROSSFIT 100 percent. I want to incorperate lifting sand bags and Atlas stones. I was wondering if someone would please giude me in setting up a training program using the Tabata method. I have read throught the board and have seen a few Tabata squats and push ups ideas but I need a complete program,,,Thank you all so much!

R/
William Torres

Last edited by Jason Torres : 04-15-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: MMA fighter looking for help...

Maybe I missed it, but I'm curious why you want to just do tabatas versus following the main page's programming.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Yea dude, you are all over the place. CF mainpage, tabata's, stones...

CF is the "complete program," just do the mainpage wod, scaled if necessary. Maybe look up "fight gone bad" workout.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Yea dude, you are all over the place. CF mainpage, tabata's, stones...

CF is the "complete program," just do the mainpage wod, scaled if necessary. Maybe look up "fight gone bad" workout.
+1 Yep, no "personal training" here...just do the WODs for GPP.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Tabata atlas stones. Wow!!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

How long have you been training for MMA? You mention functional strength being an issue, but could it also just be skill level? Maybe you caught yourself in a few uncomfortable positions?

I would say being 8 weeks out from a fight would affect what you should really try to do. I wouldn't get too creative, and throw off your skill training with your instructor. Squats and deadlifts are always good. I'd throw in some power cleans and overhead presses as well.

Being only 8 weeks out though, you will probably see the most bang for your training buck focusing on skills and conditioning. For conditioning, I'd definitely give some of the metcon WODs a try.

I'd honestly say, though, trust your instructor. He'll probably know what is better for you at this point than the folks on this board.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

This close to the fight, I'd focus on MMA almost exclusively. Anytime spent lifting is time not spent working on MMA skills, and trying to do both increases your risk of overtraining. Once that's done, you can think about addressing your weaknesses.

If you want a complete Crossfit program, just follow the main page WODs. That's what they're there for. Combine that with plenty of MMA skill work, and you should be all set.

Katherine