CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-15-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
Stephen Tomilson

Profile:
Weight loss=strength loss?

I started the Zone about a month ago, and have made great progress as far as weight loss and energy goes, but on the CFT from last week I bombed. My press stayed the same but my squat and deadlift both dropped significantly. I chalked it up to a bad day, but I was wondering if this sort of strength decrease is normal with losing about 15 lbs?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
Harley Jennings

Profile:
Re: Weight loss=strength loss?

Depends a lot with where you lost the weight at? What was your BF% before and after the 15lbs loss? When you look at the mirror, do you look leaner and more full, or just smaller?

There are alot of threads on here that deal with how size and strength are related. I assume you have searched for those.

So to answer your question directly "Is it possible to lose strength when you lose 15lbs?" Absoultely yes

Now if your question was "If I lose 15lbs will I lose strength?" Well that depends.....

If your interested post your stats and your numbers. More Detail = better information.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 04-15-2009, 05:37 AM   #3
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Tomilson View Post
I started the Zone about a month ago, and have made great progress as far as weight loss and energy goes, but on the CFT from last week I bombed. My press stayed the same but my squat and deadlift both dropped significantly. I chalked it up to a bad day, but I was wondering if this sort of strength decrease is normal with losing about 15 lbs?
Zone is a low-calorie low-carb diet that inevitably leads to low glycogen stores and low glycogen stores inevitably lead to poor perfomances.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
glycogen stores inevitably lead to poor perfomances.

This blanket statement is not true, or at least is not true for everyone.

I function just fine with very low glycogen stores. I've been in ketosis for over three weeks now and set a back squat 5RM PR on Monday morning (while also being fasted). There's been a 28-point FGB PR in there along the way, too.

Personally, I believe everyone reacts differently to low carbs and low glycogen. I probably wouldn't function as well on the zone, mainly because carbs aren't low enough to cause adaption to a fat-based metabolism.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
John C Corona

Profile:

I remember this topic coming up a lot as well. I too have lower back squats and deadlifts at 15lbs lighter. The initial strength drop was significant, but I am slowly creeping back up to my old PR's when I weighed 180 (I emphasize slowly). But I like being 'lighter', as the bodyweight stuff, runs, pullups, metcons, etc. are easier, and my energy level seems better.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
to a degree yes. As my old coach used to say, "Mass moves mass" You have less mass you can't move as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Zone is a low-calorie low-carb diet that inevitably leads to low glycogen stores and low glycogen stores inevitably lead to poor perfomances.
It doesn't have to be low-cal. If you're zoning and losing weight when you don't want to, adjust your blocks for more calories to support your workload.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
Nicholas Borcherding

Profile:

Ketone bodies as an energy source are horrible inefficient when compared to glycogen, but if you zone correctly you don't need to experience that. Any sort of weight loss comes with a loss of a varying combination of water, fat, glycogen and muscle, its your diet that will effect what kind of combination.

So in summary your cft could have easily been attributed to a fluke or your body adjusting to your new energy intake, if the lag in workout persists, it is the later
Old 04-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
Stephen Tomilson

Profile:

Well, I went from around 185 to just under 170. I definitely look leaner, way more definition, but I can't really say I look fuller. Not sure what my BMI was before or now, but i'm 5'10". The metcon and bodyweight stuff has been easier since losing the weight, and my running has gotten way better. I'm hoping it was just a fluke, but I'm concerned that I gave up muscle because of the really fast weight drop
Old 04-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Borcherding View Post
Ketone bodies as an energy source are horrible inefficient when compared to glycogen, but if you zone correctly you don't need to experience that. Any sort of weight loss comes with a loss of a varying combination of water, fat, glycogen and muscle, its your diet that will effect what kind of combination.

So in summary your cft could have easily been attributed to a fluke or your body adjusting to your new energy intake, if the lag in workout persists, it is the later

He's eating Zone. Far too many carbs to be producing ketone bodies.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Well, I went from around 185 to just under 170. I definitely look leaner, way more definition, but I can't really say I look fuller. Not sure what my BMI was before or now, but i'm 5'10". The metcon and bodyweight stuff has been easier since losing the weight, and my running has gotten way better. I'm hoping it was just a fluke, but I'm concerned that I gave up muscle because of the really fast weight drop
15lbs in 1 month is a significant drop in weight. If you're training didn't have a strong strength bias during that time, I'd guess you probably did lose a little muscle. OR this could have just been one bad day of training.