CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:45 AM   #1
Sean Winkle

Profile:
just a few thoughts

I believe CrossFit is one of the best strength and comditiong programs out there. The knowledge that is given away for free is second to none. I would just like to know why the one area of "fitness" that most average Joe-Schoe's care about is not addressed? Everyon wants to look good. I understand that this is not the CrossFit ideaology but more often than not the videos posted feature Dutch, or Jason Kahlipa, or Rhabdo, or Jolie or some other athlete that is aesthetically pleasing. So I know the thought is there, and the community is wonderfull about offering advice. But this issue is always avoided or side stepped. I was just wondering why. Because I have to feel deep down that we would all like something to show for our efforts. There will not always be an olympic bar and a pull up bar around to do Fran. We all like to receive compliments and we like people to otice when we are making an effort. The zone is hard diet and the WOD's are extremely challenging. It is only natural that we want people to notice. I am genuinely interested in this so any feedback will be welcome. Feel free to rant, rave, curse me out if it will please you, but please do it in a meaningful way. I know we are all passionate about CrossFit and I welcome the passion.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
Damon Stewart

Profile:
Re: just a few thoughts

Looking good is a corollary of fitness. We focus on fitness & nutrition and an aesthetically pleasing build follows. That's been my experience other than the ugliness from the neck up which Crossfit can't help me with.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

You train for performance, and you end up looking good. You don't train for appearance.

Form follows function.

But there always a floor to do handstands and L-sits, ground to run on, things to jump on, heavy objects to lift, people to overhead squat.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
Shane Gibson

Profile:

I think this mindset is because a good appearance should not be the goal; it should be a pleasing side effect that comes with the hard work and dedication of chasing your goal. That being said, my opinion is that anyone that works as hard as we do as Crossfitters and claims not to care about the appearance aspect of good fitness is either a weirdo (plenty of those in the Crossfit community) or being dishonest (at least with themselves).
Old 04-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Huh. I'll admit I started doing CF because I got fat and CF wasn't boring to me.
Now that I'm not fat anymore, I do want to look good. Don't get me wrong- I really enjoy the all-around fitness I've gotten from CF, but my selfish primary goal is to look good.
I've thought about taking a break and doing a bodybuilding routine for aesthetics, but the workouts are SO boring and I'd miss the challenge.
A 3 minute Fran is very far away for me, so the body that accompanies it seems very distant.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Katrina A. Burton

Profile:

If you follow CrossFit and Zone you WILL look good. Take alook at all of the top people you guys listed... OPT, Speal, Dutch, Jolie, etc They all follow CrossFit programming to a T and don't waiver from their meal plans.

You don't need bodybuilding to look good. None of those people mentioned before do it.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Oh I definitely agree they look great! It will take me several more years to get anywhere near their fitness level (not kidding myself- I will never get close). Maybe I suffer from instant gratification syndrome and wonder if there's something faster for me. When I was younger I did bodybuilding and I think within about 6-8 months I was near competition level and I paid no attention to my diet. Of course I was in my 20s, but still... I've CF'ed for a little over a year now. I don't profess my diet is perfect-it contains quite a bit of ice cream. I also like the fact that I have functional muscle now, not just showy muscle.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
Oliver Gould

Profile:

Sean, I know where you're coming from with the feeling that sometimes knowing you can do 40 pullups isn't enough if you don't LOOK like you can do 40 pullups. Especially with the level of commitment CF entails, your family and friends may wonder why you eat chicken breast and veggies for dinner every night, come home from the gym looking like you went 5 rounds with Anderson Silva and talk about power cleans at cocktail parties, but aesthetically you look only slightly above average.

Other people are in the same boat. The "Big Guns" thread and related material is good evidence of this. The mention of aesthetics prompted a big turnout on these forums. I noticed some posters expressing relief that there were other CFers who wanted bigger arms.

In my limited experience, the best way to drive aesthetic improvement while staying true to the CF philosophy is to add strength work. A lot of people who think they want to be leaner really want more muscle, and strength work will help with that. Being bigger is more noticeable also, you'll probably spend more time with a shirt on than not, and no one can tell whether your arms are skinny because you're lean and ripped or skinny-fat.

Good job bringing this up, it needs more discussion. I'm sure everyone is aware of this, but CF's "form follows function" concept gets us called hypocritical sometimes because of the number of CFers who are clearly concerned with aesthetics. Better to have those concerns in the light of day than pretend they don't exist.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
Mark Martinez

Profile:

I started working out because I wanted to look good. Now I work out because it makes me feel good and I don't want to look like an old fart.

I turned to CF, oddly enough because of the Gym Jones 300 challenge. Now I'm hooked.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Martinez View Post
I started working out because I wanted to look good. Now I work out because it makes me feel good and I don't want to look like an old fart.
Yes! Exactly how I feel.