CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
Jay Adams

Profile:
"canned" diet program

This time of year I have a lot going on with sports/school/training. I am no busier than others but was wondering if anyone knows of a canned program for diet. Something basically telling you eat this that and other. I just have zero support in the position I'm in and am looking for something for the next 2-3 months to make food easy. Any help?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Giuseppe Carino

Profile:
Re: "canned" diet program

I don't of a canned diet persay. I know there is canned chicken and of course tuna that you could use as your protein. I have been using canned chick peas and kidney beans for the carbs. I just rinse them thoroughly just to get as much of the sodium off as possible.

You could also use fresh fruits to aid in your carb consumption. It's also very easy/quick to get your fats in also. Buy nuts, seeds, peanut butter etc.

Making quick healthy meals really doesn't take that much time. Just plan ahead and you will see how quickly it can be done.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Are you meaning canned food diet?
Old 02-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
Nathan Warren

Profile:

I think he means a diet that provides/ships your meals to you. Like NutriSystem (the one that they advertise on ESPN 24/7) or something like that. I think maybe Jenny Craig does this too? I don't know anything about them, but it seems convenient I guess for the average Joe.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

There was a study done a few years ago in one the nutrion journals. They had two groups of subjects, one group was told to watch their caloric intake, but cooked or purchased any meals they wished. The other group did pre packaged meals ( not sure which type). The pre planned group was more succesful. IMO the best of those type are the South Beach Diet meals. They are healthy and relatively low in sodium.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
James Compora

Profile:

paleo kits.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Sara Fleming

Profile:

I am supportive of the South Beach diet as long as you go straight to Phase III and skip the starvation phases I and II. They have frozen dinners if that's what you mean. I did an analysis of the full day's macronutrient profiles from the book's recipes and came up with an average of 38% fat, 37% carb, and 25% protein. I would just supplement with more protein as needed and you're good to go.

Sara
Old 02-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
Robert Newman

Profile:

Eating zone/ paleo type foods is really easy man. I'm a lazy a** college kid and do fine. Just get down what roughly = a block and learn to shop for it. If you use a slow cooker you can weigh and freeze a whole weeks worth of meet with almost no effort and just microwave it when you want to eat.

I don't think you'll ever get the same results from the "order all your meals" plan than if you do your own diet ad tweak it over time.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Fleming View Post
I am supportive of the South Beach diet as long as you go straight to Phase III and skip the starvation phases I and II. They have frozen dinners if that's what you mean. I did an analysis of the full day's macronutrient profiles from the book's recipes and came up with an average of 38% fat, 37% carb, and 25% protein. I would just supplement with more protein as needed and you're good to go.

Sara
They aren't perfect, but considering their ease of use they are pretty good.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Your city might have people that do this as a service. In my area, there's a company that makes zone meal kits for people that are pretty popular with the local CF crowd. Unfortunately, it is far from paleo and very expensive. On the upside, it uses zone ratios, blocks, etc. and for really busy people, I've heard it works for their goals.

Or you could just spend Sundays making a ton of meat, a breakfast casserole, and nuke some frozen veggies at each meal. It's really not hard once you get used to it.