CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-29-2003, 03:39 AM   #1
Jan de Jong

Profile:

I followed the instructions in septembers CFJ on how to make your own paralette's and I must say they turned out great. The only problem is I have never trained with paralettes before so the question is how to proceed.

I have visited the American gymnast page but I'm not sure how to mix it all up together with the WOD's. My goal is to increase the L-sit and of course to learn how to do handstand pushups.

Any tips..?

Thanks, Jan.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:41 AM   #2
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Jan,
I usually do any and all Paralette work at night right before I do my 20 minute yoga session to unwind for the day. It also allows me to include my kids. They think it is pretty cool.
Frank
Old 09-29-2003, 09:02 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
For handstands. Do a few handstands every day. The only way to get a solid handstand is to do a ton of them. It's a feel thing. There's a ton I could go into about proper position and such, but first just start to feel how to balance.

For L sits (V's and Manna's included) it's about ab, quad, hip and tricep strength. Work exercises where you are piking your legs completely at the peaks. V ups and hanging leg lifts are great ones that can be done most places.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:15 PM   #4
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Roger,

I too want to become more proficient at these moves. The handstand pushups are coming along fine, but I am still attached to the wall. How do you become free standing? I am lucky to hold a wavering handstand for 5 seconds before crashing.

I would also like to know if you have any thoughts on how often to do parallette work? When my work schedule allows, I practice the different holds and sits everyday, varying the times from 10 seconds to as long as I can manage.

I really want to be able to walk on my hands without a wall and to do the infamous 3 minute L-sit. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2003, 04:28 PM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
You gotta do a ton of free standing handstands. You have to learn how to adjust your wrists to keep you up. The balance should be entirely in the wrists. If you get way off your shoulders will have to adjust to catch it. Once learned a handstand can be held with your feet almost touching the floor in any direction.

Think about it. When you learn to walk you practice daily. You gotta do the same on your hands.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:57 PM   #6
Mike Minium

Profile:
Kelly,

Roger can chime in if I'm wrong, but it's been my experience (and I'm a complete newbie so take this for whatever it's worth) that walking on my hands (with imperfect form, of course) is far easier than holding a free-standing (wall-free) and completely still handstand.

Last Thursday I walked across the floor on my hands for the first time, yet I still can't hold a completely still handstand with perfect form for longer than about 15 seconds.

So you'll probably be walking on your hands in no time at all.

My next goal is to be able to hold a free-standing handstand for 1 minute. I'm doing 1-minute wall handstands to get to this goal (nose and toes to the wall--no other body part touching the wall).

Mike
Old 09-30-2003, 07:23 AM   #7
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Walking is definately easier from a standpoint of just staying up. This is because you can just keep moving your hands to stay on top of them. Standing still requires very solid control of the handstand. This is part of why handstands on rings are so tough. 1. No where to walk to if you lean it too far. 2. The things move around on ya.

To be honest doing handstands for 1 minute against the wall will help develop the strength to maintain the handstand, but is not helping you with your static handstand control much. Get out in the middle of the room and do them a lot. Instead of doing 1 minute solid against the wall, do 1 minute total time free. So kick up to handstand and count 1, 2, 3...fall. Now kick up again 4, 5, 6, 7 ... fall. etc until you reach 60. Try to see how few handstands it takes to get to one minute. Track progress.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:41 AM   #8
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Make sure you know how to tuck you head and roll in the event that you tip back too far when doing hand-stand practice. I learned this after many back-flops. :-)

Old 10-03-2003, 03:34 AM   #9
Jan de Jong

Profile:

Thanks for the input guys. My plan is to do some parallette every day. I have started with the beginner workout from the American gymnast site and work from there. I'm still a bit apprehensive in trying the handstand but that will probably change when I get the hang of it.

Thx, Jan.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:46 PM   #10
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Thanks for all the info, I am incorporating free handstands in with the hold workouts. And yes, I am learning to fall. A lot. :crazy: