CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Dave Henry

Profile:
Industrial fan(s)

I'm just trying to figure out what kind of fan I should use for my gym.
I have looked at some industrial ceiling fans so that it wont take up any floor room or wall space.

What I'm trying to figure out now is what kind of Air change I will require. I looked on charts for gymnasium/gym use and they said from 2-10min air change. (6 mins being typical) Now I assume I will be at the high end of this while a wod is going on, does anyone have any experience with getting a single fan in the gym rated for 2 min air change.... it is enough...?
Should I over buy on the air change and then just never max it out or will it be enough, will the fan be able to move at a really slow pace if I buy a high output fan?

Specs:
Gym dimentions: 25'W x 40'L x 15' H (1000 square feet, 15,000 Cubic feet)
The gym is air conditioned but I have a shared A/C with the unit beside me and the thermostat is in his unit only 2 vents in my space versus many in his. so his unit heats/cools faster.

This is what I have been looking at
http://www.industrialfansdirect.com/LFI-CP48HPWP.html Safe for Work

So my calculation says for a 2 min air change I would need 7500 CFM They have 7,100, 13,000, 21,000, 27,000 and 46,000 CFM

All the fans are virtually the same price, I guess my big concern is not to make it feel like I'm standing under a helicopter, But to have a high air change.... thoughts?

And I also hate 3 speed fans, they are just 3 speeds that I never want...infinite adjust only

What kind of cost should I expect to install one of these bad boys? The fan being in the center of the room and the control being near on of the corners
Old 02-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Randy Kite

Profile:
Re: Industrial fan(s)

Dave,

We have a variable speed Big *** Fan in our building and it does and excellent job of air turn over.

http://www.bigassfans.com/ (WFS) as long as you are not offended by the word ***.

Prices will depend on who does the installation.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Dave Henry

Profile:

I had contacted them before, and they seem pretty pricey.... I have a smaller space and the fans that I have been looking at were about $120 each (max 2 fans plus installation). I talked with the guy from this place and he had told me some other crossfit gyms have got them installed and loved them. When we talked price for their smallest fan (6 feet) it was over $3000.00

is this your experience, what size do you have and how much? do you have pics?

I guess right now I have no real concern of hydro cost etc... those are all included in my rent
Old 02-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Dave Henry

Profile:

ok I found your website and looked at the pics of it when someone was climbing the rope.
your space is pretty big, with the gymnastics stuff an all.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
John McEneany

Profile:

http://www.mcmaster.com (SFW) has fans for all applications.