CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 02-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Jacob Rumschik

Profile:
Late Start Getting into Wrestling

Hey everybody. I've got a question to ask. This year i finally got back into wrestling. I used to wrestle back in grade school but I got involved in some other things and ended up leaving. Well this is now my junior year and ever since I got back I wished I would've stayed with it because I fell back in love with it. The problem is, it's still my junior year which means I don't have as much time as i would like to keep wrestling. Right now I'm on the JV squad and my record is a bit atrocious (2-12...ugh). And as for my senior year, I'm not even certain if I will be able to make the varsity squad because of my lack of experience. So I was wondering, are there wrestling clubs out there for inexperienced and/or late-starting wrestlers out of high school? I love this sport but I really wouldn't like to give it back up again. Can anyone help me?
Old 02-09-2009, 02:37 AM   #2
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Re: Late Start Getting into Wrestling

I wrestled my senior year in high school. I say go for for it.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
George Nesrallah

Profile:

Hi Jacob. Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I know in my area we have a few clubs in which wrestlers/ma's just get together informally and practice. Doesn't have to be in a formal way with the whole 'coach and team' thing. Just people with a passion for the sport who want to practice. Look through want ads and if you can't find anything place an ad yourself asking for what you are looking for. This may work for you.

Also, see if you can practice with wrestlers who are better than you. I found this intimidating at first but doing this makes you a better wrestler/fighter (at least in my opinion).

Good luck; all the best.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #4
Joseph Dennis

Profile:

My biggest regret in life, I am 27, is that I didn't continue wrestling in High School. I wrestled in Middle School, but I wished I kept with it. I believe if I kept with it then I would be in much better shape than I am now and probably would have wrestled in college also, then seen what I had to offer after. Keep with it!
Old 02-10-2009, 03:07 AM   #5
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

My advice is keep doing crossfit, but not at the expense of doing your wrestling. If you have to drop a couple days of CF (like you are overreaching or nearing injury) so you can do more wrestling, my advice is to do it. Training wrestling is your best bet. Practice, practice, practice!

I wish I would have gotten into wrestling earlier as well. It helps with BJJ and all kinds of grappling.

Last edited by Jason Lopez-Ota : 02-10-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #6
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

You might find a good MMA school in your area. We are lucky enough to have one with a wrestling coach and their own octagon nearby. For the same price as a typical gym membership, you might get plenty of mat time and quickly improve.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Watch your weight also.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Here is a link to all the USA Wrestling registered clubs in Ohio. Theres like 100+ of them it looks like, so there is likely one near you. I would suggest contacting one or more of the clubs that are near you and start spending all the time on the mat you can. In wrestling, especially for someone lacking in experience relative to his peers like you, there is absolutely NO substitute for time on the mat.

http://www.themat.com/section.php?se...bs&state_id=36

w/f/s