CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 08-26-2008, 06:55 AM   #1
Bob Guere

Profile:
A full Murph!

So when we saw Murph on the main page, we immediately looked at our blog to see what we scaled to the first time we did it. We were afraid... admittedly. All I could remember was that it sucked.

Turns out the first time we scaled we did the 50% scale. So I knew we had to go for more. Coming off a good weekend of rest and feeding, I decided to tackle it head on, with the only scale being jumping pullups. I finished in 50:23, slow, but for me it was a remarkable feat after only 7.5 months of CrossFit. I am definitely seeing some performance gains in the past couple of months.

My wife brought it up to 75%, did jumping pullups, and her pushups were on her knees. She cranked it out in just over 52 minutes and didn't stop the whole time.

We are both proud of eachother (and ourselves) today, even though our bodies are saying... "go back to bed you idiots!"

Thanks Coach, thanks community!

Last edited by Bob Guere : 08-26-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
Robert Martinez

Profile:
Re: A full Murph!

Yesterday was my first 'murph'. I scaled to 50% with kipping pull ups.

It took me 52 minutes to just do THAT..

Way to go dude, you give me a goal for next time I see this beast come up on the site.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
Andy Gann

Profile:

Bob - I think that rocks.

I work out at an affiliate that doesn't always follow the MP WOD but I usually pick one to do on my own on Saturday when the affiliate is closed ... I'm thinking of attacking Murph this saturday.

I'm in the same boat as you in that I would have to sub pull ups which leads me to a question ...

What's your plan on moving from pull up subs to pull ups as rx'd?

Right now, I have faith that at some point in the future - it will just happen but wanted to get your ideas ....

Congrats again!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
Bob Guere

Profile:

My plan is to work my kipping. I'm going for kipping next time. Actually, I want to get all kips in my WODs. So I'm just going to kip more.

*EDIT
I will say, that I had no problem doing all 100 jumping pullups. So that tells me I'm getting stronger and stronger with the jumping pullups, making sure I do full ROM. I think that's helped me a lot. I also do a half-kipping motion in my jumps... I pull and push at the top as if I was at the top of a kipping pullup.

Last edited by Bob Guere : 08-26-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Michael Blazek

Profile:

Way to go Bob ! Thats great. I was too afriad to go after the full Murph. Next time for sure after reading your post. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Stephen Smith

Profile:

That's awesome! I'm going for the same sort of improvement this afternoon. My first 'Murph' was about 3 months ago. I did the full thing, but with gravitron-assisted pullups, and it took me 1:02:00 I think... I can do a 20-round 'Cindy' with real pull-ups now, so my goal today is to try to do 'Murph' in 40 minutes. Too ambitious? Maybe, but I'm going for it anway!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
Andy Gann

Profile:

Thanks for reply - I really appreciate it.

I work on my kipping a little each day that I work out but I could probably grease the groove a little more w/ pull ups even after a work out.

Did you break up the three exercises into sets? like 20 rounds of (5, 10, 15)?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
Gary Ohm

Profile:

Way to go!! This week is my first week of doing all the WOD's as RX'd. On Sunday I rode my fixie for about an hour so I was not as recovered as I should have been. Mistake I think. I broke Murph down into ten sets. There was lots of walking around after the squats and before the pullups.

I was hallucinating at about set six and lost my set cound so I think I may have done one extra set It took about 1:10 to do 110 pullups (kips and whatever else I had to do in order to get it done), 220 pushups, and 330 squats. I am REALLY sore today. There is no way I am going to hit the front squats. I think I'll just go for an easy fixie ride for an hour or so... Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.

Next Murph I'm going to keep closer count and shoot for a sub 1:00.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
Thanks for reply - I really appreciate it.

I work on my kipping a little each day that I work out but I could probably grease the groove a little more w/ pull ups even after a work out.

Did you break up the three exercises into sets? like 20 rounds of (5, 10, 15)?
Personally, I do break up Murph. I did 10 rounds of 10-20-30....

GTG is the way to go. I'm going to really concentrate on that too with my kips.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #10
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ohm View Post
Way to go!! This week is my first week of doing all the WOD's as RX'd. On Sunday I rode my fixie for about an hour so I was not as recovered as I should have been. Mistake I think. I broke Murph down into ten sets. There was lots of walking around after the squats and before the pullups.

I was hallucinating at about set six and lost my set cound so I think I may have done one extra set It took about 1:10 to do 110 pullups (kips and whatever else I had to do in order to get it done), 220 pushups, and 330 squats. I am REALLY sore today. There is no way I am going to hit the front squats. I think I'll just go for an easy fixie ride for an hour or so... Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.

Next Murph I'm going to keep closer count and shoot for a sub 1:00.
We have a white-board and mark off our sets as we do them. I always lose count during the WODs if I have to worry about so many sets.