CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 07-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
Polo Lopez

Profile:
Re: From no confidence to CrossFitence

Zach,
First off, congrats on your progress so far. I think you're beating yourself up a bit, which is understandable. You're trying to find a blend of becoming a new person outside, the new found love, and the challenges of old life habits versus goals, which in this case involve the need to sacrifice to obtain those goals.
In my years I've come to discover that when you make a goal, there will not only be the challenge of accomplishing that goal, i.e. hard work, but also the opposing challenges, such as a new found love that doesn't share the same goals. Think of an alcoholic that stops drinking. How many friends does he/she have that still drink? Does that person find new friends or do they accept the fact that their friends drink but that they must not in order accomplish the goals they set forth? Sacrifice, challenges are around every corner. No goal worth while is ever easily obtained. There must be those challenges going against us to make the sweetness of accomplishing goals that much, well...sweeter.
So to answer, this new found friend is a challenge. She may not share the CrossFit lifestyle but could it be that your success could be her light to get her into CrossFit? How many people followed your CF friend's accomplishments? They used her as inspiration. You're possibly inspiration to someone and not even know it. Converting someone maybe the last thing you need to do. "If you build it, they will come." Focus on you and your goals. The rest will come if you stick to your guns.
Food, as always, is a challenge. Social life is a challenge. What are your goals worth to you? That's what you have to come to grips with. A suggestion: commit yourself, more so than you have, for a specified period of time. Make all the sacrifices necessary to stay on the track but just the things that you are battling with now, food, drink, rest. Go out and have fun but make the sacrifice to yourself to eat healthy, drink in severe moderation, and go to bed on time. Think of all the soldiers, policemen, coasties, and firefighters, that sacrifice to keep us safe. How much do they give up so that we may live free? Stay with CrossFit and realize progress is never really immediately recognizable. Others see it in you but for you to see it, may take time.
You have a toll to pay in order to have what you want. Americans tend to want results immediately following any work they've done. How many people have you seen flexing in the mirror after one workout and say, "that workout made me more cut" ,or weigh themselves after each workout? Do they really think they're not going to gain back the water weight or that one workout took off bodyfat? It's the long hard journeys to reach new places which make us stronger. You gotta want it kid. Doubt, injury, fatigue, and life are things that are going to happen. How we react to them is what makes us who we are tomorrow.
Good luck. 3, 2, 1, Bust'm.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
Jason David

Profile:

Polo,
Great post!
Old 07-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
Zach Mitchell

Profile:

Thanks Polo. I especially appreciate the portion in which you say "you may be an inspiration to someone without even knowing it...".

I haven't ever considered that.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #14
Polo Lopez

Profile:

Jason- Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Zach- Also thanks. Realizing you may be or are an inspiration to someone isn't easy. I had one of my athletes write down his goals. One of them was to challenge me to a CrossFit workout. At first I was a little annoyed, but after some counsel from my fiance, I came to see that I should take it as a compliment. In this person's eyes I was what he wanted to be. WOW, me? I would've never considered anyone would look up to me. I grew up the skinny, un-athletic kid, with a disability. I later played sports and did well in a couple but not to the point of great athleticism. CrossFit has enabled me to have the athleticism I always wanted.
Stick with Zach. I guarantee there are hundreds with your story that have been too intimidated to start CrossFit. Not only did you have the desire, but also the courage to take on this challenge. It takes big eggs to say, "Hey, I need some help." Good job.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #15
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

this is a good time to sit down with yourself and go over ALL of your priorities. Like Polo says above, you get what you pay for - and you pay for what you get.
I'll never be a top XFitter because I'm not willing to pay for that; too many other passions. But while I'm working out, I'm 100% paying for it. That's a big key.

You don't necessarily need a partner who's into CF, but I do heartily recommend a partner who's as into health and fitness as you are. My husband doesn't CF, but he places his health and fitness as high priority in his own life and supports me as I do the same in mine. (This carries over to all areas of your person in a marriage as well, IMHO.)
Old 07-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #16
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

I think ur doing a freaking awesome job zach. Dont even know u yet bro and im proud of u.

And like polo said, ur are already and will continue to be an inspiration to those around u, and to everyone who hears ur continuing story of success.

Fight the fight.

Ricky
Old 07-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #17
Zach Mitchell

Profile:

Thanks Ricky. I love your quote by the way. So freakin' true. I appreciate the support.

Zach
Old 07-30-2008, 02:20 AM   #18
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Mitchell View Post
Thanks Ricky. I love your quote by the way. So freakin' true. I appreciate the support.

Zach

No problem my friend, keep at it. Get yourself a logg on the go (coming from a guy who deoesnt have one lol). You'll find you will get good feedback from alot of great people.

haha glad you like it. Its a good one.

Ricky
Old 07-30-2008, 06:07 AM   #19
Dominique Keels

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Mitchell View Post
Thanks Polo. I especially appreciate the portion in which you say "you may be an inspiration to someone without even knowing it...".

I haven't ever considered that.
Yeah, you better use you own disires to go hard for yourself. Because I am going to uses your story as inspiration to go hard for myself today. A CF chick linked me to your thread for motivation, and it worked.

I am going to give you this jewel for your inspiration: A woman only studies a man for one of two reasons, his rise to greatness or his demise.

First, do what's right. Then do what's best for your. Keeping in mind that doing what's right is doing what's best for her.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:41 AM   #20
Jennie Yundt

Profile:

So? Will you keep all of us informed of your progress? I'd love to hear if you are able to convince your new girl to come try CrossFit. I'm sure she'll love it.

Stories like yours are truly an inspiration Zach. Take new pics in 3 months and post again so we can continue to share your journey!