CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-15-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
Juan Romero Jr

Profile:
I would say I'm somewhat new to crossfit. I've read the articles, subscribed to the journal, and I'm somewhat familiar with most of the exercises. My problem is consistency, and availability of equipment. Consistentcy because of my commute to work, and my shift. When I've made an effort to start, it'll last a month or so, then I fall out of routine due to other important things going on, like court, getting off of work several hours late, etc.

I do not have a gym membership, and I don't plan on getting one anytime soon for budget reasons.

I'm a cop, and the police gym is only open for 8 hours, which happens to be during my shift. I commute an hour to work, so on my days off, I'm not interested in driving an hour to a gym to only workout 30-45 mins, then drive another hour home.

Are there exercises that I can build together to still get workouts that fit the Crossfit Method, but that wont require me to have access to any weight equipment, or any other resources to help me get started?

Thanks for the help
Juan
Old 08-15-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
There's a ton that can be done without equipment, or much equipment at all.

Ideally you have a garage, if so, look up the Garage Gym article in the journal archives, and start outfitting it with small amounts of equipment (I started with a $100 olympic barbell and weight plate set, and two dumbbells). Use collapsible sawhorses for doing heavier back squats, etc.

As far as not having any access to any equipment at all, you've still got running, squats, pushups, burpees (killer), situps, supermans, hill sprints, etc... If you can find a tree, use a low limb for pullups, hanging knees to elbows, etc. If you can find stairs or even better, find a 18" - 24" or so ledge and use it for box jumps, etc.

Just use your imagination, if I was walking around your neighborhood I could make some specific recommendations, but I don't know for sure what you've got available.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
Benjamin W Herbert

Profile:
Matt is right..use your imagination. Your body is the best weight you have for anything. Master stuff like push-ups, handstand push-ups, pull-ups, air squats, sit-ups, lunges, plyometrics, running, etc....
You might considering investing in a pull-up bar, a single pair of dumbbells, and perhaps a jump rope in the meantime. Those are all good functional pieces of equipment and not terribly expensive.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
Mikki Lee Martin

Profile:
www.SkievaT.com
Eva posts No equipment necessary workouts,
and they are Eva inspired, all the better.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
Juan Romero Jr

Profile:
Thanks for the help!
Old 08-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Instant Home Gym:

1. Either:
- A. Buy the Elite Rings: http://ringtraining.com/store/eliterings.html (Safe.)
- B. Check the FAQ for how to make gymnastics rings out of PVC. You can buy climbing webbing from REI for $.34/foot, and then hang them in a tree. You can also pick up Metolius climber's tape ($4; helps grip alot) and triglide buckles ($1 for 4) while you are there. This will cost about $20-35, depending on how much webbing you need.
Image: http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/8...sintreexf8.jpg (Safe.)

2. Google search for how to construct a ~100# sandbag for "sandbag weight training." This will be cheap, cost about $20, and be a load of fun.

3. Go to www.craigslist.org (It's like an online garage sale; safe.) and buy an Olympic bar and 255# metal plate set to go with it. Don't get a bench, since you don't need that. Anything around $50-80 is good. If you see a sale that has a bench and weights, ask if you can buy just the weights.

4. Go to http://store.wfwclub.com/plates.html (Safe.), and buy the 90kg bumper set. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it's worth it. Yes, it's the best deal you'll ever find.

5. Go to Home Depot, get two 60# bags of concrete, a 4"x4"x10' and two 5 gallon buckets. Cut the 4x4 in half (maybe make it 4'6 tall if you are shorter than 6 feet yourself), put grooves in the top, stick them in the buckets and add the concrete. It's a $20 squat rack.
Image: http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/5907/squatrackow5.jpg (Safe.)

6. Construct a plywood jump box. See CrossFit Journal Issue 49 (Sept. 2006) for great instructions by Lincoln Brigham.

7. Get a high-quality jump-rope. It's cheap.

8. Check Craig's List again for a Concept 2 (Model C is common). A good price is anywhere from $200-450. Contact the buyer ASAP, and come with $20 and $50 bills. If the asking price is $375, seven $50's looks a lot more appealing than a $375 check. Haggle for deals!

============================================

Do them in that order and do them as soon as you can afford it. You won't be sorry.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Awesome post, Patrick. "How to outfit an outstanding home gym for very little money" in maybe 350 words.

It would add more words, but also: call around tire dealers to find one with a major tractor or truck tire. He will probably give it to you free (takes it off his hands, saves disposal fees) as long as you can convince him you won't just dump it.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Direct link to the plyo box construction article Patrick referenced: http://www.crossfit.com/journal/#2733 (WFS...)

Of course, feel free to buy the full back issue of the CFJ if you'd like!:msn-wink:
Old 08-19-2007, 03:12 AM   #9
Michael Manseau

Profile:
I'll echo the comment by David, awesome post Patrick.
Juan, there's also simplefit.org (w/f/s) for equipment free workouts.

Mike
Old 08-19-2007, 04:39 AM   #10
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: David, Michael
Thanks. :biggrinthumb:

I cleaned it up a bit, and added dumbbells and a slam ball to the list.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Home Gym.txt (4.9 KB, 4072 views)