CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Jessica Guido

Profile:
Am I being impatient?

Hello all,

I started Zone strictly 2 weeks ago, before that I was doing a combo of the raw diet in zone proportions. As most of you know when crossfitting, the raw diet is HARD...but I still miss it.

About me, I am a 4 day a week CFer and have been drinking the Kool-Aid a little over a month. On my days off I try to do come CF exercises in the gym here or I will run with my pup. I am 5'7", 30, and unfortunately am 160lbs. Yes I have thyroid problems that were recently discovered and in the 3 months I have been on the meds along with the raw diet I have dropped 11 pounds.

ANYWAY, I have not lost a pound since starting CF and moving away from the raw diet, in fact I have gained a few since going full Zone in the last 2 weeks. I am doing 11 blocks daily.

My diet the past 2 weeks...

breakfast-smoothie (1c whole milk, 1tsp whey protein, 1c strawberries, 1/2 blueberries, 2 macadamia nuts)

snack-string cheese, 1 macadamia nut, 1 peach or other comparable 1 block fruit

lunch- the chili with cheese from the CF21 issue

snack-boiled egg, 1 macadamia nut, 1/2 orange or comparable 1 block fruit

dinner-Quesadilla from CF21 issue and 7 cherries or some comparable 1 block fruit

For suppliments I take green+, fish oil, turmeric, MSM, and Vit D

I would love to hear your feedback and any suggestions.

-Jessica
Old 07-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Am I being impatient?

Muscle is roughly 5x as dense as fat. You won't lose weight when gaining muscle mass. Weight is just a measurement of gravity. Bodyfat % in relation to lean muscle mass is a much better way in my opinion to measure success with nutrition.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Jessica Guido

Profile:

PS-I do not seem to be toning up my flab is still present and in full force )
Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

Its only been 2 weeks. Progress happens in spurts on the Zone. When I went from 199 to 170, I plateaued at 180 for almost 4 weeks before it started going lower.

I IF now, and I only check my weight to see what IF is doing, my main concern is performance, not aesthetics.

The more you worry about your weight, the harder the time you are going to have. Throw away the scale, keep eating correctly, keep exercising, and the laws of the universe will take care of the rest.

So to sum up, don't worry about it! You've only been doing it a month. Keep the intensity high, you'll get there. So yes, you are being impatient.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
Rachel Izzo

Profile:

Is it just me or is 11 blocks kind of not enough food? That's one thing I don't get about the zone, I don't think women who zone eat enough food. I doubt if the amount of food you're eating is even over your BMR. Caloric deficit or not, intake shouldn't go below your BMR.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
Nick Hanson

Profile:

I don't think a lot of people who zone eat enough food. But I would tell you jessica, please stick with it. Its only been two weeks. Once your body gets accustomed to the changes you will be a fat burning machine. Also, your food sources are ok. I would definitely recommend more veggies and more protein from meat rather than dairy. That will make a world of difference.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:15 AM   #7
Todd A Ferguson

Profile:

Quote:
Yes I have thyroid problems that were recently discovered and in the 3 months I have been on the meds along with the raw diet I have dropped 11 pounds.

Hi Jessica
I am presuming you have an under active thyroid (Hypo) Have you been tested for Ďanti-thyroid antibodiesí? They destroy your thyroxine levels & this is normally caused by a gluten allergy. The immune system attacks the thyroid tissue by mistake.
As to your diet & weight loss stick with it your body works on a 21 day cycle and will normally start reacting to your eating plan after the first 21 days & by the third 21 day cycle you should see and feel a notable difference.
Hope this helps
Old 07-18-2008, 05:59 AM   #8
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Izzo View Post
Is it just me or is 11 blocks kind of not enough food? That's one thing I don't get about the zone, I don't think women who zone eat enough food. I doubt if the amount of food you're eating is even over your BMR. Caloric deficit or not, intake shouldn't go below your BMR.
11 blocks is the major macronutrients. You need to add (based on 9 months of my own logs) 200-400 calories per day for actual caloric intake of the food for all the hidden blocks that occur. Its not as restrictive as people think. CR is also very good for the stabilization of insulin levels.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:12 AM   #9
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
11 blocks is the major macronutrients. You need to add (based on 9 months of my own logs) 200-400 calories per day for actual caloric intake of the food for all the hidden blocks that occur. Its not as restrictive as people think. CR is also very good for the stabilization of insulin levels.

um still pretty restrictive IMO.

If one is being pretty strict with their blocks (that is, not adding extra fat) a block would end up being 100-120 calories.

that means that someone on 11 blocks is getting about 1200-1300 calories.

obviously it might go up slightly if you were choosing say, sausage or something for your protein, or eating whole eggs or cheese all the time, but most would probably count this as their fat anyway.

If I tried to eat 1200 calories a day I seriously don't think I'd be able to get out of bed in the morning. Like Rachel I am eating about 1700-2000 per day and I add more than that even if I have a bike ride.

I still get hungry all the time on this, despite getting 40-50% of my calories from fat each day.

A question: do you know how many calories you were eating back when doing the raw diet? I mean, have you started eating MORE calories on the zone?

Perhaps you need to talk to your doctor again if in say another 2-4 weeks you still aren't losing. It seems ludicrous that you could gain weight on such a calorie restricted diet.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #10
Joe Waguespack

Profile:

My personal experiences and opinions, drop the dairy, reduce the fruit and get rid of all grains. Once my wife and I both made these changes we saw immediate improvements. I was big on the fruit when I first started the Zone, but once I made the switch to more vegetables I saw changes. Getting rid of the dairy and grains would be my first suggestion though. In just dropping the dairy you should see an immediate layer of bloat and water fall off. I know many use dairy with no problem, but it definitely negatively impacts many I have dealt with.

Also, if you are doing the popular "cheat meal" or drink alcohol, stop. Yes it may keep some people sane, but it will hinder your progress. Many will probably disagree with that , but my outlook on it is, once you get to where you are happy with your weight and body, then have a cheat meal every now and then.

I took myself from 230lbs of fat to 170lbs and 6% BF. Through hard work and most of all DISCIPLINE it can be done. THe best way is to start strict from the beginning and keep it simple. Smoothies and chili and quesadillas may be fun but they also complicate things. Keep it simple until you get more experienced with the diet and get into a groove. Trying to lose weight isn't easy or fun, and if done right it doesn't happen over night. So be patient with yourself and take advantage of the journey of learning how your body reacts and adapts to certain things. I know we all want the perfect body now, but it's so much better when you know the work you put into it and the knowledge you gain along the way. What works for everyone on this forum may not work for you, remember that. Take and use what you find useful and get rid of the rest.

As a last thought:
Meat , nuts, vegetables, fruit. It doesn't get much simpler or more effective than that.

Just my 2 cents.
Good Luck.

"Punish the body to perfect the soul"-Mark Twight