CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-27-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
John Seiler

Profile:
I've been reading some old threads about additional/specialization work as concerns my own metabolic conditioning. With the exception of some gymnastics moves, strength/power is not an issue for me. However, I really get gassed on some of these workouts. In addition to cleaing up my diet, I was contemplating adding running and/or thruster Tabata intervals on all days that don't have a met/con component. I've also started to play with the ME Black Box program.

Background: I'm about 2.5 months into Crossfit from a primarily strength training background. I'm about 5'10" @ 185#.

Does it make sense for me to add this kind of training, or should I just be more patient with what the WOD's will bring?
Old 03-27-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
John, are you doing all of the WOD's as written? If not, that should be your first goal. Everyone feels gassed after a MetCon workout...even the elites, that's really the point! If you can't do the WODs as Rxed then you need to analyze your weak points (pull-ups, squats, etc) and address those in extra workouts. It really should take you about 3-6 months to really crank up to the point where you could complete all WODs. Just keep plugging away, trying to decrease your times by reducing rest periods. Extra metcon could compromise recovery.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:31 PM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:
Larry,
Yes, I am completing them as written. I have been breaking up sets a lot. Example, yesterday was 23:22. I was most gassed during the runs, then wallball. The limiting factor on wallballs was wind.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:03 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
My concern is extra metcon workouts are more draining than technique work or even max strength or strength endurance work (ala GTG work). A major component of the CF workout is metcon done with high intensity. It really is the distinguishing element of CF workouts. The most efficient way to increase your anaerobic conditioning is to...do the wod as hard as you can 3/1. Usually when people start the common breakdown for 21-15-9 is: 7-7-7/5-5-5/3-3-3. The first step to really dropping times is to modify reps to 11-10/8-7/9. By cutting out the extra rest you will dramatically alter your finish time. Usually there is a progression to 11-10/15/9 then 21-15-9. Then we need to work on lowering rest periods between the Rxed sets. My suggestion would still be to work on technique issues or max strength/strength endurance issues. Things like working up to multiple body weight OHS or 1.5 body weight front squats or 40 pull-ups will help with metcon and decrease times in wods and allow you to derive the most benefit from the metcon aspects of the wods.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
Dan Snyder

Profile:
John, I'm the same way (gassed during some of the metcon). I'm a little lighter than you 5'10", 170#, ~8% bf, and I'm sure that some of my issues are related to stength. So, I insert more ME/5x5/OLAD etc. stuff into my routine.

That said, I've also inserted some very short, metcon stuff too. We keep them very short (2-5 minutes), simple, and they have a penalty (ala Gym Jones) if you're not within a certain specified time. You can't really GTG with them if they're much longer than that. For example: 24-16-8 burpees + slam ball; for every second you are over 4 minutes you must do 2-5 (decided in advance) wall ball shots, before you can stop. The penalties make us go harder than we might normally. The sensation of your face melting is frequent, but it seems to be helping.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:48 AM   #6
Dan Snyder

Profile:
I should also mention that I hate/suck at burpees. Consequently, many of our short metcon stuff contains burpees.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
John Seiler

Profile:
Hmmm. Interesting Comments. It seems I really get my *** kicked on those symmetrical days like this last Sunday. I definitely agree with you Larry that I shouldn't do any additional MetCon the day after days such as that. I am far more wiped out following those types of workouts. My biggest problems seem to come after the runs; also one of my least favorite things to do.

Strength moves are coming along well. In yesterday's workout I subbed deads for BackSquats as I had done BS four days previously. Out of fifteen total reps I had seven PRs, including a 435 dead. OHS and FS are mostly just technique/practice issues; the strength is there. You're right, that strength does make a lot of things much easier. Perhaps I should just throw in a few extra moderately challenging 1 mile runs to grease that groove. What do you guys think?
Old 03-28-2006, 01:53 PM   #8
John Seiler

Profile:
BTW, Dan, it sounds like we're pretty similar size-wise. You just have lower bodyfat. I'm probably around 13%.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:30 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
John, there are some big proponents of the pose running method on the board, that may be something you could work on. Also, tighten up your diet and get down to 5-7% bodyfat. Once you shed that extra BF your going to see body-weight exercises get much easier and times go down. Your VO2 Max will automatically go up too!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:18 AM   #10
John Velandra

Profile:
Dan, another great penalty is for every break of a set, you add one more rep to the follow on micro-set. I.E. if going for 20 reps of whatever and you break at 10, then you have to do 11 for the remainder. If you break that down, you have to add another rep again.... all the way down to completion.

Makes it interesting. I'm going to try the time penalty next.