CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Jared Einstein

Profile:
Endurance on the Zone

So I recently attended the Crossfit Endurance Certification, which was awesome. I am training for a half-Ironman currently. In past events, I have used gels and drinks as my nutrition during the race. These are obviously high in carbohydrates which does not fit in the zone diet. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should eat during the race? Thanks everyone!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:
Re: Endurance on the Zone

Honestly, I wouldn't change from the gels and drinks. Those products are specifically designed for that purpose. Gatorade is not intended as an everyday beverage or for your 30-60 min workout. It's made to help maintain blood sugar and electrolytes at optimal levels during competition, and the same goes for the gels. Also, you're not going to want to consume anything to fibrous during a half-ironman. Your stomach will not be happy with you. If you want to avoid the high fructose corn syrup in the drinks and gels, then perhaps you could opt for apple juice (good source of sugars, won't upset your stomach like citrus), peanut butter (fats and salts), milk (protien), protien shakes, maybe even bananas (sugars, potassium) and avocados (fats, potassium).
Old 04-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
Jenna Dodge

Profile:

Jared,

I am a veteran of 2 ironmans and a half ironman. Personally, I didn't eat much at all for either of them. I wasn't on the Zone at the time but I have never eaten a very high-carb diet, so it was pseudo-zone. I think that being on the Zone will improve your performance and make it so you don't have to eat as many gels or drink as much gatorade as you might have in the past. I wouldn't stop altogether - definitely try it out on some training rides.

during my first ironman I consumed a total of 1 banana, 1/2 clif bar, 1/2 bottle gatorade, lots of water, and a couple of grapes at every aid station on the run (11:22:52). During my 1/2 IM that came next I tried to force down a luna bar on the bike but failed. I think I ate nothing. Probably had some gatorade. (time of 5:45 i think) Then in Hawaii for my 2nd IM, it was really hot, and I bonked and ate tons of food (gels, powerbars, etc). Felt like poo-poo. The chicken broth on the run saved my life and i managed to finish in just over 12 hrs. The lesson? The less I eat the faster I go. maybe you will find the same result...

I posted about this a couple of weeks ago, but I just did a 2.5 hour road bike race, my first long ride on the Zone, and felt great. I had a GU at the startline, out of tradition, and then drank just water during the race and was totally fine. Tons of energy.

So, gels and gatorade can be consumed during your workouts/races, but you might find you don't need as much as you used to use.

Which 1/2 IM are you doing? Good luck!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
Sam Marusich

Profile:

Jenna had a good thread on this here

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...zone+race+bike
Old 04-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Jared Einstein

Profile:

Thank you all for your input. I know that Brian MacKenzie, who runs the Endurance Certs, had mentioned that he eats legitimate food while running, i.e. cheeseburgers. That is not to say that everyone's body can handle that, but just a though. My biggest worry with the gels and drinks is that they are designed by the same people who feel a high carbohydrate/low fat diet is the right way for endurance training, which I am finding out is not the case. They eat the way they train (high carb, low fat), and was therefore assuming that I should do the same and eat the way I train (zone). Just not sure if anyone has found that true or not.

I did actually read Jenna's post, which was one of the things that got me thinking. That is why I wanted to open up a thread hoping to see if anyone had any other solid experiences eating zone in endurance events. Right now I am weighing in at about 200, so I often times feel as though I just burn through everything I put in my body, and quickly. So while I am def less hungry now that I have been doing strict zone, I fear that it won't last for enough of the race.