CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
Roelant Bergen

Profile:
CrossFit AND MMA

Anybody know how to taper CrossFit workouts so as to not completely destroy you for mma classes? (or MA in general). I get the feeling that I should concentrate more on the BJJ/MT class and sort of throw in a crossFit workout here and there, but how often/week? and if so, what? Metcon w/weights? more gymnastic oriented?

thanks,

Roelant
Old 03-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Julian Carroll

Profile:
Re: CrossFit AND MMA

I have the same question. Twice a week I train twice a day and have kickboxing in the morning and grappling in the evening. There's is no way I would be able to do a crossfit workout on these days.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
Dave Matteson

Profile:

I've been doing Crossfit for just under a year and took up Muay Thai and MMA about 3 months ago for fun (my schedule only lets me do about 2 classes a week). I follow the WODs about two weeks behind so that I can arrange them to better fit my schedule. I tend to substitute the heavy MetCon workouts for my MA classes, though sometimes for fairness, I'll substitute a heavy lifting day. Doing that has allowed me to continue to raise my CFT as well as decrease times in heavy MetCon workouts such as Fran or Run/Row 5-10K while at the same time, be able to put up a great showing at the MA classes.

Last edited by Dave Matteson : 03-12-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
Roelant Bergen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Matteson View Post
I've been doing Crossfit for just under a year and took up Muay Thai and MMA about 3 months ago for fun (my schedule only lets me do about 2 classes a week). I follow the WODs about two weeks behind so that I can arrange them to better fit my schedule. I tend to substitute the heavy MetCon workouts for my MA classes, though sometimes for fairness, I'll substitute a heavy lifting day. Doing that has allowed me to continue to raise my CFT as well as decrease times in heavy MetCon workouts such as Fran or Run/Row 5-10K while at the same time, be able to put up a great showing at the MA classes.

sounds like a good plan. No signs of 'overtraining' and decreased performance as of yet? if not, I'll give it a go.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
Julian Carroll

Profile:

Thank you for the info. One more question. Due to my schedule I have about an hour to burn after MMA class before work, where it's not worth it to go all the way home. Do you think doing a crossfit workout immediately after an intense MMA workout would work?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
Roelant Bergen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Carroll View Post
Thank you for the info. One more question. Due to my schedule I have about an hour to burn after MMA class before work, where it's not worth it to go all the way home. Do you think doing a crossfit workout immediately after an intense MMA workout would work?

not for me....I'm usually crawling after a wod, not sure I can bob and weave after. For sure I'll be blocking punches with my face during sparring, and rolling? forget it. At least that's me, other people might be mutants in disguise and be fine.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
Carlo Mattia

Profile:

try this out
if you can train 2x a day do the wod then later SKILLS/DRILLS only(kick,punch,judo,wrestling,jiu jitsu ect...)
when your sparring or training HARD. that day you do not train crossfit
crossfit is your cardio (no running ect)
when you train crossfit and then attempt a second workout you will not have 100% of your strength and endurance left to train MMA or whatever thats kind of where you want to be,
when you take strength and endurance out of the mix all you have left is technique (think about that!)
just be careful about over training slow steady progression will get you there
I train a pro MMA fighter and an example of some things we do is
1 round fight gone bad
1 round of sparring
1 round of fight gone bad
1 round of sparring
1 round of fight gone bad
but he has real good conditioning.
best of luck in finding your frequency and intensity