CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-09-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
Don Milliken

Profile:

I'm entering a gym competition on 19 March. I have to do the following in the least possible time with a running clock:

Stationary bike - 1.5km
Squat thrust - 200 reps
Shoulder press - 25kg x 40
Full sit-ups - 60 reps
Rowing machine - 500m
Bench press - 40kg x 40
Bench jumps - 100 reps
Box steps - 10kg each hand x 50 reps per leg
Lat pulldowns - 42kg x 50
Treadmill run - 800m @ 6% incline

The top guys will finish in a little over 20 minutes. Would be interested to hear how you might structure a training programme for a competition like this.

I was thinking of something like this:

I'd train 6 days per week and take the 7th off:

Day 1
Bike - 8x500m, 1min rest
Bench press - 40kgx20repsx7sets, 1 min rest
Squat thrust - 5x50, 1 min rest
Run - fartlek 20-30min

Day 2
Row - 4x1k, 1min rest
Lat pulldown - 45kgx20repsx7sets, 1 min rest
Sit-ups - 5x50, 1 min rest
Bike - fartlek 20-30min

Day 3
Run(6% incline) - 5x400m, 1min rest
Shoulder press - 25kgx20repsx7sets, 1 min rest
Box steps - 10kgx20repsx7sets, 1 min rest
Bench Jumps, 5 x 50, 1 min rest
Row - fartlek 20-30min

Day 4
Bike - 4x3k, 1min rest
Bench press
Squat thrust
Run - fartlek 20-30min

Day 5
Row - 8x400m, 1min rest
Lat pulldown
Sit-ups
Bike - fartlek 20-30min

Day 6
Run(6% incline) - 5x1k, 1min rest
Shoulder press
Box Steps
Bench Jumps
Row - fartlek 20-30min

The weights for days 4, 5 and 6 will be the same as on the first 3 days. Once I can complete all the reps on all the sets, I'll increase the reps by 5 and go from there. A fartlek is basically an unstructured interval session with active rest. So I might do a 20min run like this: 3min easy, 3 min hard, 4 min easy, 4 min hard, 2 min easy, 4 min hard. I won't go all-out on these, but keep it at a "comfortably tough" pace.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Don, how familiar are you with the exercises in the competition? If you're not very familiar with them, I'd actually just focus on doing those exact movements with the same weights and distance just because of the specificity involved.

You could do the workout in its totality at various intensities (ie: cycling the intensity) and focus on components individually during the week.

That's just my 2c.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:33 PM   #3
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
i agree with paul, and since you have a little over a month i would do it once the whole way through to find out where you stand.

the WOD is a great training method for this since most of the components are included in it, so if you have been doing it regularly you are a head of the game. i would definately focus on weak areas, and try to do them directly after a WOD get used to doing that exact movement tired.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:43 PM   #4
Don Milliken

Profile:

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm familiar with the exercises. To give you an idea of my fitness level:

I did a 35:30 10k a few years ago, a 6:42 2000m on the rowing machine in November, I bench about 250lbs, and I can do a full-range chin-up with 90lbs added to my 175lbs bodyweight.

I'm familiar with the exercises, I just need to develop a training strategy to do the course as fast as possible. What do you think about the program I outlined above?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:39 PM   #5
Alex Vasquez

Profile:
I would try the whole test all the way through. This will tell you where your weak points are. Then devise a strategy to maintain your strengths and improve your weaknesses. Or you could go the opposite and really hammer your strengths and maintain weaknesses depending on which strategy you feel will really benefit you (based on strengths and weaknesses).

I don't think anyone can really help you until we see how you do on the competition. Try it and post how you did in performance on everything, the whole time, individual times and your opinion of how every event went.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
Eric Moffit

Profile:
in addition to what has already been stated...

the one thing i notice about the events is that they all consist of relatively low weights and high reps. therefore, your goal should be the ability to do each exercise straight through no breaks. rather than doing high weight/low rep workouts, focus on staying around the prescribed weight and reps. youll probably want to train a little above and below the weights and reps, which will be inversely related. for example, with the shoulder press, in addition to doing it as specified, you might want to try 30kg for near max reps as well as a weight you can handle for 50 reps (i would try to avoid going all the way to failure). this kind of specificity of training would be considered a taper in the swimming game (my sport), where you focus on a specific event when a big meet comes up.

and i would definitely spend time doing the event as prescribed. this is key to getting used to the transitions, metabolic demands, effect of fatigue on later events, pacing, etc etc etc. the general rule being: if you know what event youre going to be competing in, GET SPECIFIC!!
Old 02-09-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
Nic Nakis

Profile:
I'm with the other guys: you need to do the test exactly as it is.

But, I think you should do THAT thing up there as your training. If you really want to kick *** at this, do the full deal 3 times a week (at least), always pushing for a better time every session.

My reasoning:

(1) The hardest part isn't going to be in doing each exercise quickly, it will be in recovering and moving on to the next. If you train those specific transitions/progressions, you'll be able to move smoothly from station to station in competition.

(2) Intensity. Doing that competition routine for speed sounds quite intense, and it's that intensity that is going to push your training. Slow, moderate sets with the weights and long sessions on the bike/rower will NOT train you for the intensity of the event as well as ACTUALLY DOING the event will.

My two cents.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:34 AM   #8
Alex Vasquez

Profile:
IMO,
I'd rather see your performance in the competition, not for training, but rather as a diagnostic tool. It will tell you where you need to focus your efforts. Specificity is important but if you run a 4 min mile then focusing on your running time would be a waste. You wouldn;t improve it enough. Post your results on everything so we can help more
Old 02-10-2005, 10:06 AM   #9
Ron Nelson

Profile:
200 squat thrusts aka burpees!!!
The best way to prepare for that: hit yourself in the head with a hammer several times!! It will feel awfully good when you stop!
Other than that, this looks like a super chipper. I'd do the WOD and go for it!
Old 02-10-2005, 01:37 PM   #10
Don Milliken

Profile:

Yeah, the form for the squat thrusts is a bit different from a burpee. You don't stand after each one, so you basically start in push-up position, hop your feet forward 1 foot, and then hop them back. That's one rep. So 200 isn't that bad, although it's not that easy either!