CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
Eric Douglas

Profile:
Weight Storage Ideas

I'm looking for any really creative weight storage ideas that people are using. The two methods that I've seen on the board are the "iron pipe / flange setup" and the "bumper plate rack setup".

For those of you who aren't familiar with these setups, the iron pipe method has a vertical 2x6 with the black iron pipe from Home Depot / Lowes attached horizontally with galvanized flanges. The weights go on the pipes.

The bumper plate rack setup has 2 parallel 2x4's spaced about 8 inches apart. There are 8" 2x4s in between the 2 parallel 2x4's. This looks like a ladder lying on the ground. The weights stand vertically in between the parallel 2x4s.

I've got approximately 900lbs of olympic weights and have a set of bumpers in shipment right now. I've gotta get a good system put together or I'm not going to be able to walk around in my gym.

Short of going out and purchasing 3 or 4 weight trees - does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Ron Haskins

Profile:
Re: Weight Storage Ideas

I like the 3" ABS pipe trick for storing bumpers. Get a 10' section and 4 90's, cut two pieces 9.25" long off, stick those between two of the 90's. Cut what's left in half, put it all together and you can stand bumpers on their ends for quick and easy access.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
Daniel Schenck

Profile:

I have concrete walls, so I just put in some 6" eye screws and hang the weights on them...works great and was cheap and easy...should also work if you have wooden beams and run the screws into them - but of course don't try it on wallboard itself!
Old 01-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
Tim McFarland

Profile:

I had some 6x6 timber chunks left over from making my squat stands. I hammered a couple 2x4's to one end so they would stand upright. Then I got some 10" chunks of galvanized pipe, drilled holes in the timbers, and pounded the pipe into the holes. Works perfectly, and super easy to make.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Brandon Oto

Profile:

If you hang them on the walls (on any similar stacking mechanism), I'd recommend making sure you have at least as many stacks as you have weight denominations. If people have to remove some to reach others, your organization scheme is going to evaporate in about five minutes.