CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
Nicolas Kizzee

Profile:
Re: SS + CF Six Week Blackbox

Nice progression so far david... Im doing SS atm. But your workout has given me ideas for after April. I have one question... in your original post it says you would do SS -CF-SS-REST-CF-SS-Rest.... buy from what i see in your weekly post.. it doesn't appear that way. Have you revamped it or am i missign something? Also think its funny, your just about 30 minutes away from me.. im at Lee here in Cleveland. hehe
Old 02-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
David Stout

Profile:

Yeah, I've changed it to (starting on Monday): SS-CF-SS-REST-SS-CF-REST

I liked coming back to a heavy day on Friday right after Thursday's rest day much better. I underestimated the effects that the metcon training would have. I definitely don't feel as strong on Wednesday as opposed to Monday or Friday.

So far this has been a pretty tough endeavour. I'd like to actually shoot for a full 9 weeks instead of six since my Press numbers are slow, but I'm not sure I'll last that long.

Neat to hear that you're in Cleveland! That's awesome.

David
CF Chattanooga
Old 02-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
Nicolas Kizzee

Profile:

O ok I see. Thanks for posting so fast hehe. Im guessing you just dont post Rest days. You only post the days you workout. Yeah my press numbers are very very slow too. I am thinking of adding push presses on opposite days from regular presses and hopefully I can gain some in my press. According to SS book it appears ok to do that. Thanks again
Old 02-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #14
David Stout

Profile:

Quote:
I am thinking of adding push presses on opposite days from regular presses and hopefully I can gain some in my press. According to SS book it appears ok to do that.
I wouldn't start there if you're stalling on the lifts. Rippetoe is pretty specific in Practical Programming what you need to do. If you need some info or help let us know.

David
Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #15
David Stout

Profile:

Week 4 Wrap Up and Conclusions:

In week four I stalled on the Power Clean & Squat. The Press also slowed to 1 pound increases per workout (and I was barely getting that). To follow Practical Programming’s suggestions for re-setting and getting back on track it would have taken be approximately 2 weeks to get the Squat back on track and increasing again.

Given the above, it would have basically eaten up the remainder of the six weeks that I allotted myself for this CF diversion.

While I didn’t progress through the full six weeks as anticipated I learned a ton and now have set plans for committing a full 8-12 weeks (maybe) for Starting Strength programming this winter. And that's SS and nothing but SS to get the full benefits.

I was also able to re-gain numbers with the lifts (in terms of 1 RM) that I had in September before the numbers started slipping. I was also able to knock out HSPUs for the first time yesterday when I returned to the normal mainpage cycle. All that and my BW did not change at all. Not too shabby for a short 4 week investment of my time.

Additional Notes:

Considering the experiences with the starting strength template I’ve concluded that I would be very, very tough to follow that program as rx’d as well as CF programming as rx'd. I consider as rx’d with SS to require consistent linear increases on all lifts each workout. And I would consider CF in this template to be unmodified CF metcon WODs.

One would require excellent conditioning, and above all really, really good recovery abilities.

For more information on how this has been successfully and appropriately done see the CrossFit Kids Journal, Issue 21 from August 2007.

A post from the brandxmartial arts forums which parallels some of my thoughts is quoted below:

Quote:
In the CrossFit Kids seminar Go_Irish discusses the neurological and neuro muscular developmental stages in kids. The discussion points to adaptions kids make to stimulus around them. Recently Gonzo posted a video link to a young climber on the CF main site. (I sent the vid to CF Kids HQ staff). It intriguing because it postulates that the young climber, due to her exposure to climbing during the critical years has not only adapted neurologically, and neuro-muscularly, but physically as well. Reading further I came on some articles where people called her a mutant. A mutation is a change in genetic material, this is technically an adaption, so a better term might be adaptoid.

Watching David and Connor train last spring for the games I made the comment to several people that they seem to have no limit to their ability to recover and adapt to heavy weight. The linear progression of weight increase were off the charts. I wonder if this is an adaption to the trainings they had as youngsters.

David used to run with his folks. I wonder if this latest is an adaption to that. I expected he would run the marathon in the time he did. I did not expect him to be able to workout the next day, show little sign of fatigue or soreness.

The only time the marthon showed up was Tuesday's power cleans. Other than that the next few workouts seemed to be at times I would expect him to have accomplished sans marathon.
Thanks to all who kept up with this.

Cheers,

David
CF Chattanooga
Old 02-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #16
Trevor Wallace

Profile:

Thank you for posting your expeience. I am thinking about doing the same thing, because I would like to build up my strength as well to plow through those heavy workouts.