CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Joshua M. Ossen

Profile:
Multiple Workouts

I've managed to find some extra time during my day and was wondering what peoples thoughts were about doing 2 workouts a day. I usaually space them about 10 -12 hours apart. I can do most of the WODs as rx'd, my only weakness is pull-ups. Am I setting myself up for a crash by overtraining?
Old 01-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Austin Slater

Profile:
Re: Multiple Workouts

I have next to no experience with crossfit and am very new to this type of training so take this with a grain of salt.

I see nothing wrong with some extra work on your weakness....pullups. I would keep an eye on the volume/intensity though. As far as increasing pullups alot depends on your goals but I love weighted pullup variations as well as anything done on a rope, towel etc. to tax your grip. even a couple of weighted sessions a wk at 3x3-5 can be beneficial. Watch your total volume though as alot of the crossfit workouts and the listed warmup include pullups. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

Overtraining is a bad term for it. It should actually be called under-recovery. I normally do more than 1 a day and as long as you listen to your body to get the proper rest that you require (and fuel yourself accordingly) there should be no problems.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

IMO overtraining/underrecovery or whatever you want to call it is overrated. Most people don't get enough out of their time training. I recently switched to two-a-days with my strength work (which is arguably more taxing on the CNS and muscles than metcons) and I've had some overreaching but nothing to extreme that I probably won't be able to recover from it. (I do 5/2; m,w,f 2 workouts; tu,th 1 workout). It stands to note that I had a pretty high conditioning level before attempting this.

Basically the BEST thing to do is just try it. If your conditioning level is fairly high you should be able to adapt fairly quickly to the volume (and cope with the additional soreness). If your performance starts decreasing then you gotta back off some and let your body recover before you start overreaching significantly (although planned overreaching can be good sometimes).

IMO if you're following CF 3/1 the start adding a second workout on the third day (right before the rest) if you prefer. See if you can go through a few cycles without significantly overreaching. If you don't then start adding more work as necessary. It would be a good idea to focus these extra sessions on your weaknesses like someone already said.

Either that or you can scale up to make everything harder.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Austin Slater

Profile:

Great advice with adding a second workout every third day before the rest day.

Also with strength work leaving a rep or 2 in the bank for each set allows for more frequent workouts. I find I can do weighted pullups, rope climbs 3xwk if I stick to a lower overall volume like 3x3-5 with nothing to failure. Pavel, Waterbury and others have a written extensively on this subject. Good luck with your goals.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
Tom Brose

Profile:

I also would recommend you try it, and see if it works for you. I might also try adding the second workout on the middle day of a 3/1 split. If you are really busting yourself up, you can modify the second day, and still get good recovery. If not, day one of the next cycle may find you worse off.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
Joshua M. Ossen

Profile:

Thanks for the advice.
So far my body hasn't protested the extra workouts. I'm sore for a little longer than usual but my performance hasn't diminished.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:18 AM   #8
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Do it and see. Since pullups are your weakness, and 75% of CF has a pullup component, I would spend some of those extra workouts working on pullups (weighted pullups, ring pullups, Tabata pullups). It will give you some good work while helping you get the most of your other workouts. Once you get your pullup numbers shored up and do CF as rx'd (not having to slow down for the pullups), you might find that 1 workout per day is enough.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #9
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

I am wondering what kind of second workout you are planning to do. You have mentioned that your weakness in pull-ups. Are you going to work only on pull-ups only for your second workout, or you are trying to do two random WODs a day?
I am currently doing 2+1/3+1 split. I do Gymnastics (Strength and lots of Stretching) in the morning almost every day and and CF/GWOD in the evening. I feel that doing gymnastics really increased my overall work capacity, I didn't feel same way while doing CF only.
Also some CF WOD are killers (Diane, Murph, etc...), there is no way I can do anything else on the day when it is time to do one of those.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 01-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #10
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Ossen View Post
I've managed to find some extra time during my day and was wondering what peoples thoughts were about doing 2 workouts a day. I usaually space them about 10 -12 hours apart. I can do most of the WODs as rx'd, my only weakness is pull-ups. Am I setting myself up for a crash by overtraining?
Yes, you are setting yourself up for over training eventually, period. I don't know your age (and, it doesn't always matter) but too much wear and tear will catch up to you, with injury, decrease in performance or what have you. I am 27 years old and have worked out hard my whole life; two-a-days, three-a-days, cardio this, strength that, etc. It took me years to realize that working out too much, too hard, too frequent and through injuries without adequate rest was well, to say the least, stupid and detrimental to my body. I used to have no sympathy for people with "back pain" or other injuries of the like, "no pain, no gain." Now, I am currently nursing a back strain which I acquired on the job and, wow, does it ever suck. Much sympathy for people with back pain now! The last couple of years I have learned how to workout much smarter, more intense and with more rest. Two-a-days are not needed unless you are a professional athlete or are trying to fit into a tux for an upcoming wedding and you're on a time crunch or something of the like. If you have the time for two workouts a day, more power to you, you must not make a living like the rest of us (no disrespect intended). Also, if pull ups are your weakness and you aren't performing "x" amount, you really shouldn't be pushing yourself to performing multiple workouts a day, simply because your strength, level of conditioning, etc is not up to par to be able to handle that type of workload yet. Pull ups are a very good indicator of upper body strength, not the only mind you, but a good one, and having pull ups as your weakness means you more than likely lack the athleticism currently to be embarking on more advanced or more frequent workouts. Workout hard but smart, concentrate on your weaknesses and be patient, it will all come with consistency.