CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Amy Crawford

Profile:
My experience with rhabdo

As some of you know, I went to the doctor on Thursday for a potential rhabdo case from Tabata Something Else. My Dr. drew some blood to test for CPK levels, but said it wouldn't be availalbe until Friday morning.

Our phone rang shortly after midnight Thursday night. It was the doctor. My CPK levels, which are supposed to be in the 270 range, were 38,000! Off to the ER.

I was released from the hospital this afternoon, Sunday. There was something strange going on with my liver that the internist didn't like. It turns out it had nothing to do with the rhabdo. I had self-treated a UTI the previous week with uva ursi, which can cause hepatotoxicity (liver toxicity). He would have released me yesterday had it not been for the liver enzyme increase. I had an ultrasound this morning, which turned out OK. I have to get my liver tested again in a couple of weeks. So if I hadn't over done it on the pull ups, I never would have known about my liver. Go figure!

My arms are still a bit swollen, but much better. I have to let things finish healing, then start up nice and easy. My regular doctor was thoroughly impressed that I did all of this to myself. She commented on how most people would have stopped before doing such damage. Well, I'm not most people, now am I!
Old 08-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: My experience with rhabdo

Glad to hear you're doing okay

How did they treat you for the rhabdo? Or was it just a matter of monitoring and waiting?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Don't most Crossfit workouts cause elevated CPK levels, even in the absense of rhabdo?

From what I understand, it is the release of myglobin that causes the damage to the kidneys (rhabdo). What were the results of the myglobin tests?

"Patients with urine myoglobin greater than 15 mg/L are at risk of acute renal failure. Usual results are less than 1 mg/L. Results between 1 and 15 mg/L are associated with vigorous exercise"
Old 08-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
Amy Crawford

Profile:

I can't remember my myoglobin levels, but the internist did use rhabdomyolysis as the term causing my kidney backup. I'll try to find out tomorrow what that level was. And I fit the profile of a crossfit rhabdo prone person ... fit, but hadn't done a real crossfit workout in a couple of months, then hit it hard.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

It would be informative to know the myoglobin levels. I suspect high CPK levels alone would lead to too many false-positive reports of Rhabdo. Did you have brown colored urine? By "kidney backup" do you mean trouble urinating? Hope I'm not getting too invasive in my questions.

The CPK levels, the swollen arms, the fitness profile all fit. The UTI complicates analysis of cause and effect for kidney function, however.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Amy, very glad to hear that you're OK.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
Amy Crawford

Profile:

Lincoln, that's a good point about the kidney/UTI connection, and that was one of my main concerns at first. However when I finally went to the doc for the UTI, my kidneys were checked out, and all seemed fine with them then. Again, I will find out about the myoglobin levels tomorrow. Now my interest is really piqued.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:39 AM   #8
Ben Kaminski

Profile:

Amy, glad to hear you are OK.

When the swelling goes down, there will be some residual weakness in the affected muscles. So come back slowly and with care, it does not take long to get back to pre-incident fitness.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:39 PM   #9
Cal Jones

Profile:

Glad you're recovering and hope you heal quickly. Rhabdo sounds very scary indeed.

Still, it's amazing how bad a UTI can make you feel. I had one in June/early July. I didn't realise as I suffer from interstitial cystitis (basically inflammation of the bladder which is not caused by bacteria) so I just thought I was having an episode of that and ignored it.
I started getting dizzy spells, feeling generally out of it and I had palpitations a few times. I was really worried (and of course the stress made the palpitations worse). I had a bunch of blood tests for various things and they all came back negative. Then I thought, well, I better do a pee test just in case. Sure enough, I had an infection, and after a course of antibiotics I felt a lot better. Up until that point I'd never realised that a UTI could cause all the other feelings of being ill - I will be more vigilant in future.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #10
Gant Grimes

Profile:

I was waiting on those results. Glad you're ok.