CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:59 AM   #11
David Wood

Profile:

Blue Oyster Cult
Old 10-04-2004, 11:36 AM   #12
Donald Woodson

Profile:

I guess I'm an old fart now. I do like some of the new stuff, but I still get a kick out of stuff like Iron Butterfly, Montrose and Blue Oyster Cult etc. One song in particular was Stranglehold by Ted Nugent. That one still gets my blood up. I think I still have the eight track.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:36 PM   #13
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Matt, I was just kidding! It's good to see you have the fire, our profession needs more guys who care about the job. Don't listen to the old grouches who tell you "I've got more time in the donut shop bathroom than you have on the job" B.S. CF is the way to go to prepare for the academy. That uniform does smell when it gets wet though.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:07 PM   #14
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I listened to Dwight Yoakum's "Guitars, Cadillacs, and Honky-Tonk Music" during the 10K (which admittedly I shorted). I just bought a double album of George Jones, and have been listening to a lot of Merle Haggard before and after workouts. Strangely enough, listening to relaxed music seems to improve my performances. I don't need anything to get my heart going: the WOD is plenty for that.

I will admit to a contrarian streak.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:32 PM   #15
Mike Minium

Profile:
Barry,

I'm like you, in a way. If I listen to music at all, it's usually classical music. It allows me to get into a zone where I can focus on rhythm and fluidity, which helps my performance a lot more than a heightened emotional state would.

I'm also like you, though, in the sense that I'm a contrarian (of course, if one contrarian is like another contrarian, I wonder if that makes them contrarians any longer?). The appeal of my contrarian stance is not just philosophical or emotional, though (although I do enjoy going against the crowd). It's that I've had tremendous results in thinking about what the majority of people do (in fitness, investing, relationships, whatever) and doing the exact opposite. No exaggeration.

Matt, I'm really not trying to hijack the thread. It's just that contrarian thought is something I find fascinating, but it's not a subject that's explicity discussed on this board (although I think there's a strong sense of implied contrarianism here).

Mike
Old 10-04-2004, 06:07 PM   #16
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Mike,

My gut instinct is that the bulk of people on this board are contrarians. We get here because no one else will listen to us. If everybody else is wearing spandex, we wear ratty old shorts. If they use machines, we use free-weights. Nothing wrong with that. I think it's important, though, to also keep touch with what's good in what other people do. "If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you, but make allowance for their doubting too. . ."

People do what makes sense to them. I do what makes sense to me; you do what makes sense to you. Both of us probably have a tendency to often think: "HMMMMM, if everybody's doing it, there's probably a better way." Anytime the herds on the move, I'm looking for the wolf.

As far as music--getting back to the thread--I am literally all over the place. I mostly like any kind of music that has heart.

I've recently gotten really into Country, and I must say George Jones is freaking amazing. For anyone that grew up with him, you're probably thinking DUH, but it's news' to me.

Some of you are probably wondering what I'm smoking, but I have to say "We don't smoke Marijuana in Muskogee. . . . ."

In point of fact, it's wine. I'll call it a night now. Sorry for any incoherence.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:25 PM   #17
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Ooh! A music thread!

I listen to many, many varieties of music, but I have a few favorites..

First off, I have to pay my respects to my favorite band of all time - SOUNDGARDEN! Ah, Chris Cornell's throaty wail has gotten me through many a workout.

Other favorites:

- Dream Theater
- Dragonforce (GO CHEESY POWER METAL! WHOO!)
- The Mars Volta
- At the Drive-In
- Queens of the Stone Age
- Coheed and Cambria
- Audioslave
- Incubus

That's just a few.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:02 PM   #18
Matt Hilliard

Profile:
Mike........as far as I am concerned......Brother If you are working out the CF way.....Be all the contrarian you wantr to be.....I was only curious as to what motivates you .....lol.....hell if Britany Spears gets you going.....More Power to you.....lolololo.....ok That went to far huh?

Anyways ....I am still stoked and had a great WOD today....although not todays WOD.....it was a CF WOD......GOD I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!!!!!!

Larry I know you are giving me a hard time.....I dont mind....I want to be a Cop...I bettre get used to it huh?

Later Ya'll

Old 10-05-2004, 06:02 AM   #19
Donald Woodson

Profile:

"Walkin on the fightin' side of me..." Merle Haggard! George Jones! Barry! You da Man!
While you're at it, check out Johnny Horton- Whispering Pines, North to Alaska, Commanche the Brave Horse, and my all time favorite- "In 1814 we took a little trip..."
And I guess I'd have to say I've always been a contrarian. I derive a certain perverse pleasure out of jumping on my old garage sale ten speed, wearing cut off sweats and sandals, and blowing away a Lance Armstrong lookalike on his $5k Campognallo (or whatever they are). Not all of them though. It's just that it seems some people's bikes are way beyond their current fitness levels.
Good luck with your career Matt, and when you get to the academy, don't mention the Britany Spears thing OK? :wink:
Old 10-05-2004, 06:30 AM   #20
Brian Hand

Profile:

I had a friend whose workout ritual involved a walkman, always with the same tape, he put it on at home, walked to the gym listening to it, worked out talking to nobody listening to it, and walked home still listening to it. Two hours a day withdrawn from humankind with this tape. Curiosity got the better of me and I had a peek at the tape. I kid you not, Debbie Gibson. I have never looked at that sick bastard the same way, to this day.