CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-13-2004, 04:24 PM   #11
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I agree to a point about the idea that "at least they're not sitting on the couch"...but I've also seen a lot of people that fool themselves into thinking they're really doing something. Like the saying goes..."Do or do not, there is no try". Another prime example: I spend a lot of time in the water, and there's nothing funnier than the aqua-aerobics classes. A bunch of people doing nothing, but convincing themselves they're improving their health. It ain't happening. If you're going to go...go all the way.

One other gripe I have regarding Curves is the single-sex nature of it. Sorry, but IMO that's just the silliest damn thing I've ever heard of. One of the things I dig most about Crossfit is that the gals get right out there and go head-to-head with the guys. That's just awesome.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:27 PM   #12
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Hey, my 81-year old mom has a Curves membership. I, for one, was glad to hear she was going. The typical Curves member is +40 and fat. That is their target marketing audience, no kidding. Not exactly ready for Crossfit. The Curves 'thing' is not the worst workout they could be doing.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:45 PM   #13
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
My 79 yr old grandma is a Curves member as well. It would frighten the hell out of me if she just stood close to someone doing a WOD.

I wonder when there is going to be the male version called 'Corners' for these women's male counterparts. Somehow I just don't think it would be very sucessful (unless the workouts include the infamous "elbow tip" and "remote control one hand snatch").
Old 09-13-2004, 06:20 PM   #14
David Wood

Profile:

Lincoln:

I know how you feel. My mom (also 81) does Pilates. It saved her life (and I mean that quite literally . . . she would be dead by now without the motivation and, yes, the physical strength and health it brought her). Instead, she's a fairly active, and still quite independent lady in LA, still living on her own, and likes it that way.

Pilates isn't CrossFit, but you gotta start where people actually are, and with what they will actually do, not with where you wish they were or would do.

I don't think Pilates, or Curves, or even "aquacise" (water aerobics) is the best choice of exercise for someone who is not genuinely frail. But I'm still happy to see people doing those things rather than nothing. Maybe 1 or 2% will discover a yearning for something better . . .

Dave
Old 09-14-2004, 05:48 AM   #15
Steve Shafley

Profile:
There's a place called "4 Minute Miracle" that opened up in Midland, MI. The premise behind the program is, if I get this correctly from the person who told me, a 8 station hydraulic exercise machine circuit, 20 seconds of exercising as hard and fast as you can, then moving on to the next station and starting within ten seconds.

So, someone out there is using tabata type theory in a Curves style atmosphere.

Also, on showers: When doing crossfit style work, I sweat so much, that if I had to go to work afterwards I'd definitely need a shower.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:58 AM   #16
James Gates

Profile:  
Well is seems like the general consensus is in favor of showers. For group classes during the afternoon or evening I could see you getting away with not showering. But for those early morning sessions before work, you gotta get clean or risk becoming more unpopular than the boss.

My theory as to why Curves has no showers is that their target market is middle aged house wives, who go there during the day and then shuttle right back home afterwards.

I think it could only help to attract more business to have showers and a nice changing area. The only question now is, do you have two seperate showers areas for men and women?

Does anyone have experience with landlords on this issue? If I were to walk into a light industrial complex could I get the landlord to pay for and install the showers and changerooms or is that my responsibility?
Old 09-14-2004, 09:23 AM   #17
Ron Nelson

Profile:
James,
As an attorney who has negotiated and written some commercial leases, I can tell you this: Every landlord is different. Certainly, showers have been installed in some industrial settings, although they would be of the decontamination sort, not the domestic type. In my experience, a good number of industrial landlords leave TI to the tenant with the landlord's approval. To negotiate this point, find a motivated landlord (one who needs the space occupied in the worst way) in a smaller industrial park who is willing to make some improvements. I guess you could say everyone's experience will be different because you're talking about people dealing with people.
Good Luck!
Old 09-14-2004, 10:35 AM   #18
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
It might help if you find a facility that already has an adequately sized water heater.

I wonder if you could convince you Landlord that it is amost a 'health requirement' kind of like "wash hands before returning to work".
Old 09-14-2004, 03:59 PM   #19
James Gates

Profile:  
Dude, that's a brilliant idea! I could just tell them that the health board will come down hard if they are not installed!
Old 09-15-2004, 05:10 PM   #20
Dave Clarke

Profile:
The landlord installing a shower out of his pocket, would be adding facilities to his land/site in order to build his business, ie: to bring a customer in. Wouldn't this make it a tax deduction for him?

I don't know myself, so I'm probably wrong.

Dave