CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
Jason C. Brown

Profile:
How do you set up a class? Is it just the WOD or do you format it any differently? After reading about how Coach and Laureen have classes several times each morning I was wondering if they're all the same set-up or do you do something different each time. Thank you.

Jason C. Brown
Old 10-07-2004, 06:41 PM   #2
Lani Lau

Profile:

Jason-
Sometimes we do the workout of the day but usually not. Occasionally we do one of the
"Girls". Often the 6am class is different from the 7am is different from the 8am. Coach & Lauren are very creative and classes can be geared to meet a particular group's needs. The needs of a group maybe related to fitness level or soreness or other factors.

There is a systematic way of designing classes that Coach teaches in the seminar but I would need my notes to describe it exactly. Maybe someone else can talk about it directly. Another idea is pulling different exercises out of a hat (randomly combined).

Just a start.

Lani
Old 10-07-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
Jason C. Brown

Profile:
Lani,

Thanks alot for the info. Could you tell me if the seminar covers the business end of things as well as the training end. I see a Crossfit Philly in the near future and want to be as prepared as possible.Thanks alot.

Jason C. Brown
Old 10-08-2004, 08:33 AM   #4
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
I use a similar approach at my place. If I like the looks of a particular WOD and we haven't already abused that movement in a previous workout I'll pull out the option card and go with it.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:10 PM   #5
mark twight

Profile:

Jason,

When Gym Jones is in session we follow Rutherford's method. Figure out where people are (in their current training block as well as in their macro-block), how sore we are, which exercises we may have abused lately, how sleep-deprived, etc. Once that's determined we use that day's WOD or pick one from the archives, but more often than not we make something up that fits as closely as possible what everyone wants, needs and deserves for the day. The key to going freestyle like this is open communication.

Scheduling WODs is easy when everyone is in the same block, macro-block, and has not too dissimilar training goals.

Mark T.