CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-31-2006, 11:56 PM   #11
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Eric,

Just realized I didnt answer the last question about the "high end" bars...

All the IWF certified weightlifting bars are chrome... except for York when they held their certification, their bars were a satin finish and I think there is more than one way to achieve that finish and I dont know what process they used.

Most of the higher end powerlifting bars are black oxide or stainless... I personally feel that Ivanko makes the best powerlifting bar in production, and I know that they do not use chrome on ANY bars because of the chance that the coating process will weaken the bar. I have spoken to the owner of Ivanko about this specifically, and he is quite adamant about chrome finishes diminishing the quality of the steel.

The Chapman Elite bar, which I feel is a "high end" bar even though it carries no certification for weightlifting or powerlifting, uses stainless steel. The Chapman is actually a VERY strong bar, and very high quality. I thought about using stainless of the same type used by the chapman bars in my weightlifting bars, but although it is actually stronger than the steel I use, I did not feel that it had the whip I wanted or that was neccessary to make the very best weightlifting bar.

Nevertheless, I will say this about the Chapman bar... they are great bars. I have two of them and have sold a number of them over the last few years. Mike Chapman makes a quality product.

Mike Chapman is actually a friend of mine... if for some reason a person did not want to buy a bar from me but needed a quality bar, I would recomend his bars. Like mine, they are made in the USA, and like mine, he guarantees them and I know from personal experience he WILL stand behind that guarantee.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:17 AM   #12
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
>black oxide bars DO NOT rust or "discolor" at a similar rate as a plain steel bar.

Agreed.

>All the IWF certified weightlifting bars are chrome.

That likely explains a lot of complaints I've seen about overaggressive knurling on some of the competition rated bars.

>Ivanko....do not use chrome on ANY bars because of the chance that the coating process will weaken the bar.

Hmmm, I'm not all that familiar with the available chrome coating processes, I'll have to look into potential failure mechanisms that might result from these types of processes. Not sure if it is the temperature the processes are performed at, the potenital for chemically induced embrittlement mechanisms, or a combination, or something else entirely.

Satin finishes are another I'm not familiar with. Gives me a chance to go learn something.

Very informative, Glen. I appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me with your knowledge.

Sincerely,
Old 09-01-2006, 08:53 AM   #13
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Eric,

Complaints about aggressive knurling on a competition bar probably came from a Uesaka. They are much more aggressively knurled than any other weightlifting bar I have seen. Odd thing is, they are not chrome... We have one from the '96 Atlanta Olympics, and it looks to have a satin finish similar to a York. Their training bars are black oxide. I forgot about Uesaka in the last post.

I have never really seen a York Elite, Eleiko, Zhangkong, Werksan, etc with knurling sharp enough to complain about. We have a York Elite that I particularly like the knurl of, even better than Eleiko or Werksan bars.

One competition bar that I personally think has great knurling is the Zhangkong bar, which also by the way has probably the most whip of any bar I have used. Zhangkong uses I believe 31 cuts per inch on their knurling, so it is a finer knurling, more of a "sandpaper" feel. Now personally I like that, I think it gives a very secure grip while still being very comfortable on the thumb when you use the hook grip. The drawback, however, is that its much worse on scraping up the shins when you pull... if you rub the shin, your going to end up with blood on the bar!

The York training bars that I have (bought in the late 90's), as well as the Elieko bars, both have a more coarse knurling, less cuts per inch but deeper. This pattern is not my personal favorite, but I know a lot of people like it.

Mike Chapman does a nice knurl job on his bars, if you are worried about scraping the shins and bleeding, his bars might be the best on the market at saving your shins. He cuts the knurl, then rolls the bar in some manner so as to round off the top of the knurl, leaving virtually no "sharpness" to scrape but still a very secure gripping surface.

Also... as far as enlightening you, I am the last guy you would want to be enlightened from when it comes to the details of steel plating of any kind! I probably know just enough to get by... to decide on how I wanted to do the Pendlay bars I took a lot of advice from those who actually did know what they were talking about, and tried a lot of different prototypes to decide what I thought was best, and what the lifters testing the bars liked the best. From the sound of it, you probably already know more than I do about steel coating processes.

(Message edited by glennpendlay on September 01, 2006)
Old 09-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #14
Dwayne Holloway

Profile:
Thank you for the information and the exchange about the process. I would like to say again the more I use the "crossfit bar" the more I like it. Great bar- great value. thank you Glen.

John Seiler wrote "See Dwayne, doing Crossfit is just like getting married. You find out about all these shortcomings you never knew you had and life is easiest if you quit thinking and just do what you're told.

Just kidding ladies, I love you all!"

John aint that the truth, when I do what she tells me I am ahead all the way around.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:00 AM   #15
Dwayne Holloway

Profile:
Glen,
No problem on the price. Just trying to see what my wife and daughters would like for their bar. I had no idea the length of the sleeves was the differece. At the rate those girls are going, they will be lifting over 70kg (thanks Coach & Lauren!) so the womens bar would be the right choice. I like the black oxide grip. Glen thanks again for the help.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #16
Krista A. Jones

Profile:
Dwayne,
Both are great....but your girls will outgrow the 10K for sure. If you have to purchase one, make it the women's bar (15K).
Old 09-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #17
Dwayne Holloway

Profile:
Krista,
Thank you for the advice. I will definitly get the womens bar. One day I would like to bring Kelsey & Tara down to San Diego and work out with you guys at mission bay on a Saturday!