CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-27-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
F

Profile:

I'm looking to make my own weight vest (I'd rather not pay the big $$). Has anybody made one? If yes, how? I was thinking about buying a fishing/hunting vest and pulling out my sewing machine to significantly "modify" it to hold sand. This is just a rough draft...any ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:17 PM   #2
Kris Freeman

Profile:
Never made one myself, but maybe you could use the hunting/fishing vest and those ankle weight sewn on to them around the midsection or back. Just a thought, but a good thread. Interested in seeing other peoples opinions and ideas on this subject.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:01 AM   #3
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Good idea F!

Count me in. I want to save money also. So far, I like the idea of using sewn-in weights instead of sand. It might be a little more expensive, but potentially less messy.

Do you think we'd have to modify the fishing/hunting vest to be more snug around the abdominal area? Based on the pictures of the X-vest and what other people have said (about it providing a unique challenge to the rib cage/intercostals during a workout), it appears that a snug fit is desirable. Maybe buying a hunting/fishing vest one size smaller than normal and making some precision cuts to free up the shoulders and chest might be an option, depending on how durable the rest of the jacket would be afterwards. Does anybody know where the weight is located on the X-vest? The reason I'm referring to the X-vest so much is because, outside of price, I haven't heard nothing but praise about it - might as well base the homemade design off of it.

Just some thoughts,

Ryan
Old 02-28-2004, 08:49 AM   #4
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
Steve Justa author of ROCK,IRON,STEEL reportedly tied up to 200lbs of chains to his torso. He would go about his daily farm work.

Jump on over to the hardware store and get some John Henry chain an strap it on! I'll look forward to your review.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:11 AM   #5
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
I did some more thinking while stretching out today. I'm calling it the ghetto vest. Take a type III PFD (the life/ski jackets that have the straps around the ribs/waist) and remove the foam interior. This is probably easier said than done. Replace with sand. Reinforce life jacket material with at least one roll of duct tape. The vests were going for $10-$40 US on e-bay, so it's significantly cheaper than the $100-$200 prices I've seen for the real thing. Might be another option. Who knows, with enough sand, it might even stop .22s and make its name even more applicable.

Mike,

Wearing chains would definitely add the weight, but I want my WODs to be COMFORTABLE! :wink:

Ryan
Old 02-28-2004, 10:16 AM   #6
F

Profile:

Funny you mention the lifejacket, talking with my buddies over coffee this morning they came up with the same idea! I'm checking it out today!
Old 02-28-2004, 10:19 PM   #7
C Cates

Profile:  
F,
Drop by a dive shop and have a look around. I have a couple of dive vests that use mesh bags of lead shot. They normally have fancy ditching cables and what-not that gets in the way, but the weight bags themselves sound like what you're looking for. As for a gym frindly vest, you may want to find an old grinadeer's vest. If that isn't available, LondonBridgeTraiding Co. carries a few that would make a decent pattern to rip-off.

Ryan,
If you want 'comfortable' weight, try a couple of breakfast burritos, an apple fritter, and a whole-cream latte @ about 7:00 am. every day for a month, I've seen it work wonders! ;)
Old 02-29-2004, 09:04 AM   #8
Aptdwler

Profile:

I don't know about life vests. It would be great if you could find a vest type that had pockets. The flotation would be nice padding.

I have heard of useing a flak vest. I don't know how much they weigh. They are too expensive, unless they fell of an army truck or something.

The gear the army uses to carry stuff would also be nice, but expensive.

It also depends on how much weight you want and how much comfort you can do with out.

You could use pant legs, from the goodwill, and fill them with sand. Again it's cost vs comfort. and also looking like an idiot LOL...
Old 02-29-2004, 10:15 AM   #9
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
When I was grocery shopping at Wal-mart last night I found a life vest that had a lot of potential:

-only cost $30
-had four pockets (2 w/zippers)
-padding was divided into sections: two for the chest, two for the ab region, and four vertical sections running down the back

I've decided to ditch the sand option for the moment and intend on embedding small, cylindrical weights (bolts maybe? are they cheap and heavy enough?) into the padding itself (securing with duct tape) and then simply reinserting the augmented padding back into the vest. Hopefully I'll be able to get 20# worth in the chest sections and the two center back sections (that run closest to the spinal erectors). That way when I want more weight, all I have to do is insert the remaining two back sections and maybe make use of the pockets. For ventilation, I'll probably ditch the ab sections entirely.

Since the weight is still being cushioned by foam and is placed mainly on the chest and back, I'm hoping this will provide the best balance of comfort, utility and price.

Ryan
Old 02-29-2004, 12:19 PM   #10
Aptdwler

Profile:

I'd go to a tire store and ask if they have any old tire weights. I'm told some will give them away and some charge a little.

Another option would be to buy small 1 and 2 pound weights for barbells. That would make it very easy to adjust and not cost much. I don't know the vest size, but 5lb might even fit. WHen not in the vest they could be used.

How are you going to seal the holes you cut?

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining