CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-01-2004, 10:26 AM   #1
Fred Quinn

Profile:  
Can't do a decent handstand push-up yet. How many decline push-ups would you substitute for one handstand pu?

Thx
Old 09-01-2004, 12:37 PM   #2
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Add me to this list. I would be interested in know what can usefully substitute for a HSPU, and ALSO what I should do to train-up to a handstand pushup and get past the need for a substitute.

Paul
Old 09-01-2004, 01:28 PM   #3
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Paul,

First spend a lot of time on your hands this will build the support strength if you can hold for 60secs you doing good.

Then in the WOD's where handstand push ups appear mix up partial range push ups and full range negatives, 5 or more seconds is good on the negatives. When doing the negatives, as soon as you hit the bottom position kick back up and slowly come back down.

I think decline push ups are a nice idea especially at more than stated reps. Another substitute that is often used is the shoulder press with dumbells no pushing or jerking allowed.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:28 PM   #4
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Several questions, Graham:

First, I've never done a handstand at all, so some tips on "getting it up," so to speak, would do me a lot of good. I confess just looking at it in the abstract I'm concerned about losing the arm support and doing my head and neck some serious mischief.

Second, when you talk about partials and negatives, do you mean of the HSPU? If so then by "kicking up" I'm guessing you mean to do a negative rep in the handstand, then drop feet to floor to recover the arm extension and kick back up to the HS - yes?

Third, on decline PUs, do you have any idea of a good ratio to substitute for HSPUs?

--Paul
Old 09-01-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Paul,

Ok for the absolute beginner you need to get used to being upside down first. Put a pillow on the floor near a wall and go into a headstand anyway you can even if you need the help of someone else...welcome to the inverted world.

Once you are happy with being upside down (this could be minutes, weeks or longer there is no rush) now you can talk handstands. With you're arms locked out they will not buckle unless you have unusually weak arms. When doing the press ups with insufficient strength you will notice that you won't allow yourself to compromise your neck, you have to do it to understand what I mean. But if you've never done handstands don't do it yet!! For beginning, use a spotter if you wish, learn to fall, the Jan 2004 Crossfit journal has some good photos showing how to fall. And most importantly spend time getting used to handstands.

Second, yup that's it. This method has been very handy for me to get my first shakey reps.

Third, I've never tried so I can only guess. 3:1 sounds good
Old 09-01-2004, 03:07 PM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
What about bridge push ups for more reps?

You start in a bridge - hands and feet on the floor belly up to the sky. Upside down "U". and lower your head to the floor and push back up.

Old 09-02-2004, 10:18 AM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
bridge push ups work well if you have a fairly good bridge. I have seen some people who have a hard time getting onto their head while bridge-ing. They would have to have amazing shoulder flexability to be able to do a push up considering their backs are almost parallel to the ground.

As far as the ratio for decline pu and hspu. . . It is hard to say. I can do 20 decline pu consectively, but can barely eek out 2 sloppy hspus. In my case I would say the ratio is 10:1 (with a 30 second hold in the vertical hand stand position for good measure).
Old 09-02-2004, 01:07 PM   #8
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Another good way to start handstands is to just kick up a little. Start in a lunge:
http://www.drillsandskills.com/image...path=lunge.jpg

And kick onto your hands so your bottom leg just barely leaves the ground. Do this about 30 times. Then as you start to feel more comfortable putting weight on your hands kick higher. Do so until you are comfortably getting within about 30 degrees or so into the handstand. Then's the time to be sure to know how to roll out. Practice some forward rolls on the ground. Both hands on the ground. Feet and knees together. Push off so that the back of your head contacts the floor just ahead of your hands and roll. Do this putting progressively more pressure on your hands as you roll. Eventually the line between this and a handstand forward roll will blur.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:24 PM   #9
Mike Yukish

Profile:
You can also try them in a pool or at the beach. Start deep, dive forward and stand on hands. Repeat, moving towards shallow end. Try walking on them. Good for breath holding practice too.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:32 PM   #10
Roy Taylor

Profile:
I replaced them with tuck planche pushups on parallettes. When done properly, this exercise is valuable.

Cheers

Roy