CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
Michael Blazek

Profile:
I want to start the Zone diet but I'm a little confused about how many blocks I should be aiming for a day. I am overweight at 245lbs 6' tall. It just seems like at 17 blocks I'll be eating way too much food to ever reach the weight goals I have.

Any help is appreciated
Old 07-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
17 strict blocks is 1318 calories without the hidden extra parts of things (like extra fat in meat, or the protein in the fats). I do not see how that is too much, in fact you will probably overeat. Volume, especially with vegetables does not equate to calories at all.

I'd start with 23 blocks at least (1783 before the hidden calories) which will bring you to about 2100-2200 daily.

Yes, I am a freak and I do a lot of math.

I'm even more strict then the Zone, I actually count the hidden blocks in foods.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
Nicholas Richard Engen

Profile:
If you were wondering how he figured that out …there are four calories in 1 gram of protein, four calories in one gram of carbohydrates, and 9 calories in one gram of fat. One zone block consists of 7 grams of protein, 9 grams of carbohydrates, and 1.5 grams of fat. One zone block has about 77.5 calories in it. So if you were to eat 17 blocks (17 X 77.5= 1317.5) George is exactly right the volume of vegetables you would have to eat to get 17 blocks would be huge but calorie wise it is actually very low. So if you want to start the zone I would start with atleast 23 blocks like George said. 17 blocks is what I eat and I am just under 150 pounds.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:19 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Just make sure you eat vegetables for your blocks and not processed blocks such as bread, pasta etc.

A carb block is 9 grams of carbs. The type of carbs you use are important if you want to feel full/satisfied!

I agree with George that if you are 6ft tall, working out (as I assume you are if you are "here") you probably need more than 17-blocks. How did you arrive at 17 blocks? Did you do the formula waist-wrist measurement to get your est. BF then activity level to figure out? I can't remember the factors off the top of my head maybe if you are sedentary the number is correct.

USE VEGETABLES TO GET YOUR CARBS if you want to lose weight and feel full!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I created a simple zone/paleo guide
http://www.simplefit.org/nutrition.html
with quality carb sources you can do zone eyeball and get great results

cheers