CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Matthew Scoble

Profile:
There is an excellent article in today's New York Times Sunday magazine by Michael Pollan (author of The Omnivore's dilemma). His thesis is essentially that food science ("nutritionism") has gotten us way off track, largely by studying nutrients in isolation, rather than in the greater context of the foods, and dietary cultures, they occur in. The first three sentences are: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants". He concludes with several rules of thumb: 1) Eat food (as opposed to food-like items, e.g. "go-gurt", breakfast bars, etc. 2) Avoid food products bearing health claims, they are usually wrong, e.g.: margarine. 3) Avoid foods containing ingredients that are a) unfamiliar, b) unpronounceable, c) more than 5 in number, or d) contain high-fructose corn syrup...Anyway, it's a good read. Nothing earth shattering for most, perhaps all, readers of this board, but he has a good style, and good perspective.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 01-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I thought it was an awful lot of words for something that said so little. But perhaps I missed something.

He would reject paleo, the zone, omega 3 eggs, etc. as gimmicks foisted upon us. Eat like your grandmother ate and you'll be fine. Sure, the only problem was that grandpas were dying of heart attacks at a pretty early age.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
Darrell E. White

Profile:
I was pretty psyched to read it, but I never got by the "mostly from plants." I bailed on it there...
Old 01-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
Clay Jones

Profile:

Not bad though a bit long-winded. He does reference Gary Taubes, so I give him +1.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Decent article for the less than motivated, poorly-educated on nutrition and fitness mainstream crowd. For the diehards like us, this is a yawner at best.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
Scott Kustes

Profile:
A bit long-winded, but mostly solid. I disagree with his adversity to meat, but his premise of food over food products is rock-solid, if a bit unoriginal.